Speculation on Nihonjin Superiors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firanai View Post
    Hum...when I read about the stretch goal, and as someone who has zero knowledge about the previous edition, I assumed that ninhonjin superiors would be Japan's alternative to psions: Human beings enhanced with technology to the point they become equal in power to the psions, or even more. To see an example check out the game Deus ex human revolution and mankind divided to see what I'm talking about. It's ok if it's another thing but I would also like the option to play cool cyborgs or genetically enhanced humans.
    They’re definitely Nippon’s answer to Psions, but despite being (Tier 2) Eximorphs, they may play out a lot like you’re describing - just less hardtech and more genetic level enhancement via the harnessing of Quantum energy.

Anima era (set in the 2080s, pre-Prometheus Chambers) May have more of the hardtech enhancements you’re looking for!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      In Asia Ascendant, Superiors were said to be upgraded Daredevils. I never liked that argument, as the rules for Superiors never felt like upgraded Daredevils.
      I felt AA came away with Superiors were to Daredevils as Psions were to Mesmerists. A focused mechanically built version that lost versatility for the sake of raw power. I mean AA had a whole separate controlled Erruption low taint Nova as a thing so it made sense to me at the time.

Comment

The catch is that that requires Nippon to know a heck of a lot more about Talents than everyone else does.

Comment

It think Superiors being Talents/Daredevils in 2e would undermine how Talent PCs are viable all over the world. Eximorphs work better as something intentionally created through a harnessable process than Paramorphs. The whole point of Talents as the corebook PC-type is that they work in any context without needing a special origin.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Well we are mixing things up. I agree that Superiors seem to work better as Eximorphs in the 2e meta, just that pointing out in AA they had both Superiors AND permanent low grade Novas as separate things.

But there are some pretty major changes in 2e. In 2e the Nihon psion "fix' no longer requires you become a Superior. They can just kill it. Being a Latent is NOT the Potential to be a Psiad but rather different paths on the psychomorph tree. With that being the case having multiple paths on the Paramorph or Eximorph tree wouldn't invalidate particular types in my mind. It also might make certain people who are frightened of the option of Tier 3 paramorphs not be concerned that Talents automatically upgrade.

Comment

If you've backed the KS, in the Aeon Supplement, there is an entire chapter dedicated to cyberware. Also, we're far enough past the Superiors stretch goal that I think it's safe to say that we definitely have this one in the bag!

Comment

I have to agree that the Superiors being a controlled version of the Stalwart/Nova expression does seem to fit better. Humanity has always had the potential to express greatness in these three ways... and with Talents being viable through all ages (at least all that we currently know of) while the other two being significantly rarer (Stalwart/Nova expressions being the rarest iirc), then showing how all three can also be present in different times (and in different ways... with different levels of Stalwarts [Superiors], Novas [from Eden] and Aberrants [of Colony] compared to the Proxies [advanced Psions], Psions [standard] and Psiads [once we get the 177k strech goal]) just shows us all that is really possible with the setting.

Different characters from different origins at different levels of power... different takes off of similar themes. How will the Superiors react should it be discovered that they are not as different from the Novas that came before or the Aberrants that are a current threat as they may think? How will the public react if such knowledge were revealed? I didn't get far beyond the Core book for Aeon in 1st Ed so I don't know what sort of reactions there was when it was revealed that Psions and Aberrants are similar with that genetic switch (though I also don't know how widespread that knowledge became), but judging from what little I have read... even the usually benevolent Aeon Trinity was trying to assassinate those who knew to keep the knowledge secret. If even then "good" guys are willing to act villainous in regards to this discovery... it must be seen as a huge threat to the world as they know it.

This is one of the truly amazing things about the setting... just when you think you have things figured out on one level, you discover that the secrets go even deeper than you ever realized. We have only barely begun to scratch the surface of all this setting has to offer... and it is but one of the settings possible within the Continuum.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I felt AA came away with Superiors were to Daredevils as Psions were to Mesmerists. A focused mechanically built version that lost versatility for the sake of raw power. I mean AA had a whole separate controlled Erruption low taint Nova as a thing so it made sense to me at the time.
                  I've been playing around with the old system and found that you can essentially build Superiors using the Adventure Transformation points. That said, the thing that made Superiors really scary was the Cyberware. I found that I could take a Neutral and load him up with cyberware to the points that he was almost a Psiad with modes in Biokinesis and Electrokinesis.

Comment

Working...
                  X