Captain Volmar and 1920s Starflight!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain Volmar and 1920s Starflight!

Captain Volmar is a Clark Ashton Smith character and one of the first fictional characters to build a starship. He's set in the same time period as Adventure! E.E. "Doc" Smith may be first but his stories are set in the future. As written Captain Volmar could a Stalwart.

This means that Inspired PCs (Daredevils, Mesmerists, and Stalwarts) could settle out in space. Separate from Earth, the events were Divis Mal turns off the Adventure! Period don't effect them.

Thus planets with Inspired PCs could be encounted in the Aeon period. This could make for interesting change of pace adventures or lively campaigns.

More later....
    Last edited by Astromancer; 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM.

One of my pet alternate timelines is pulp space opera in the mid-20th Century with the Inspirations Age never having ended. My thinking is to draw on Burroughsian Planetary Romance for what the planets of the Solar System are like.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      One of my pet alternate timelines is pulp space opera in the mid-20th Century with the Inspirations Age never having ended. My thinking is to draw on Burroughsian Planetary Romance for what the planets of the Solar System are like.
      Why say it ended off Earth? Picture stranded star travelers on a planet far beyond the Milky Way. A planet that just happens to resemble Barsoom.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Why say it ended off Earth? Picture stranded star travelers on a planet far beyond the Milky Way. A planet that just happens to resemble Barsoom.

Where did I say anything ended off Earth?

OH! I meant "never ended" in terms of chronologically. The strange pulp fiction locations and phenomena of the Adventure! Era never went away and remained going forward in time, so by time the solar system is being explored in the 1940s of this timeline they find a solar system of pulp Planetary Romance. I don't have a Barsoom-equivalent far off in the Milky Way because I have no need to - it's right there in the Sol System.

Comment

I'm having a little trouble during that into the Trinity Continuum; because as flexible as it can be with historical events, the idea that the biospheres of the planets of the Solar System are radically different (which they'd have to be too draw on Burroughs for what they're like) strikes me as a bridge too far. That's not just a change in historical events; it's a change in multiple planets' geographies and possibly a violation of the laws of physics.

Now, in terms of habitable extra-Solar worlds? That's a whole different story. I'd want zeta beams and/or stargates to get the heroes to these alien worlds (because Æon has also revealed that worlds with intelligent life are incredibly rare, and gates let you send your space explorers very far away without having to worry too much about how far away they really are), but I could see an alien system designed specifically to facilitate Planetary Romance.

I could also see the possibility of having said system be populated by descendants of the Ægis era: originally from Earth (and this human), but isolated from Earth for so long that the motherworld has faded into legend; they now think of themselves as natives of the worlds they've come to inhabit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            I'm having a little trouble during that into the Trinity Continuum; because as flexible as it can be with historical events, the idea that the biospheres of the planets of the Solar System are radically different (which they'd have to be too draw on Burroughs for what they're like) strikes me as a bridge too far. That's not just a change in historical events; it's a change in multiple planets' geographies and possibly a violation of the laws of physics.

Now, in terms of habitable extra-Solar worlds? That's a whole different story. I'd want zeta beams and/or stargates to get the heroes to these alien worlds (because Æon has also revealed that worlds with intelligent life are incredibly rare, and gates let you send your space explorers very far away without having to worry too much about how far away they really are), but I could see an alien system designed specifically to facilitate Planetary Romance.

I could also see the possibility of having said system be populated by descendants of the Ægis era: originally from Earth (and this human), but isolated from Earth for so long that the motherworld has faded into legend; they now think of themselves as natives of the worlds they've come to inhabit.
            We're on similar wavelengths. And like you, I enjoy Adam Strange. Glamourweaver wants a classic 1940s Space Opera. I'm thinking of valid reasons for both Aeon PCs to meet Inspired characters and for Inspired PCs to have deep space adventures.

Comment

One problem to consider is that the Inspired (other than Talents) gradually died out after the Hammersmith Event. Just moving a group of them to a colony world doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any Mesmerists or Stalwarts two centuries later. And attempts to duplicate the Hammersmith Event are unlikely to succeed; are likely to bring about Psiads and Novas or Aberrants instead of Mesmerists and Stalwarts (assuming psiads and mesmerists are different things); and are likely to attract unwanted attention from the likes of the Doyen.

OTOH, if they do find a Planet of Adventure that's bathed in the appropriate Telluric Energies to maintain a multigenerational population of the Inspired, there's the question of where those energies came from and why they're still around. A question worth investigating…

Comment

We'll see with 2E, but in 1E the Hammersmith event very explicitly resulted in strange (pulpy) locations and beings coming into existence. Shangri La bridging to a Hollow Earth, Molemen, etc etc, and all that.

If it helps, don't think of it necessarily as creating such phenomena that were not there before, but rather dimensions colliding and sharing space with the Hammersmith event, that would eventually move bath out of alignment as the Inspiration Age ended.

Comment

One problem to consider is that the Inspired (other than Talents) gradually died out after the Hammersmith Event. Just moving a group of them to a colony world doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any Mesmerists or Stalwarts two centuries later. And attempts to duplicate the Hammersmith Event are unlikely to succeed; are likely to bring about Psiads and Novas or Aberrants instead of Mesmerists and Stalwarts (assuming psiads and mesmerists are different things); and are likely to attract unwanted attention from the likes of the Doyen.

OTOH, if they do find a Planet of Adventure that's bathed in the appropriate Telluric Energies to maintain a multigenerational population of the Inspired, there's the question of where those energies came from and why they're still around. A question worth investigating…
                  Yes. But the die out could come from more than one source. Remember Mr. Saturday. He took all the Hammersmith equipment and the manor house it was set up in to Haiti. It was implied that he was up to no good.

One could interpret events to say that Mr. Saturday turned off or closed down Inspiration for his own selfish reasons. Maybe Mal had to defeat or outlast Mr. Saturday to start the Nova age.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

We'll see with 2E, but in 1E the Hammersmith event very explicitly resulted in strange (pulpy) locations and beings coming into existence. Shangri La bridging to a Hollow Earth, Molemen, etc etc, and all that.

If it helps, don't think of it necessarily as creating such phenomena that were not there before, but rather dimensions colliding and sharing space with the Hammersmith event, that would eventually move bath out of alignment as the Inspiration Age ended.
                    Or maybe someone needed them moved out of alignment.

A world which a Inspired explorer was drawn to might be exactly the kind of world with the energies to sustain an Inspiration Age.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Or maybe someone needed them moved out of alignment.

A world which a Inspired explorer was drawn to might be exactly the kind of world with the energies to sustain an Inspiration Age.
                      Good point. Captain Volmar flew to distant galaxies. This means he bypassed billions of nearer worlds. If he was unconsciously attracted to Telluric energies, this would make a kind of sense.

It would also better sustain populations of inspired over generations.

Comment

Working...
                      X