Aeon Character Creation Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeon Character Creation Question

When creating a Psion using the option to become Psi 3, one forfeits a bonus dot for one of their attributes. I was under the impression that the dot forfeited was the one provided by the Prometheus Chamber, but reading the character generation rules, it would seem that the one forfeited is the one gained from the Bonus Traits (one Attribute point to any attribute and 4 edges that can be spent on any edges, including those not available through paths) in Step 6.

Just wanted to clear up which Attribute dot is forfeited: 1) The Attribute dot provided by the Prometheus Chamber (for an Attribute in the character's favored Approach), 2) The Attribute dot provided as part of Step 6: Bonus Traits (1 Attribute dot for any Attribute up to the character's normal limits), or 3) Both dots are forfeited to allow the character to start with a rating of Psi 3.

Which of these options is supposed to be the correct sacrifice for starting with a Psi 3 rating?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Almost 24 hours and no one has any insight into this enigma? Not even an opinion? No? Oh well.

To be honest, I guess it doesn't really matter which of the two attribute dots is sacrificed for a character to raise their initial Psi to 3.

Thematically, I think sacrificing the dot given by the Prometheus Chamber makes the most sense. The chamber modifies the subject by awakening their latent psychic potential and enhancing the subject's body. Meanwhile, the dot granted in step 6 more or less represents the character's own efforts to improve their body to some degree. To me, the choice of which to give up seems simple... the dot that would be given as part of the awakening process of the character's powers; basically, the chamber has to work harder to awaken their full potential (Psi 3) which takes time away from enhancing the Psion's body (no bonus attribute dot). Sure, one could justify the other as dedicated practice to improve one's psychic strength rather than their body but having a character at Psi 3 at character generation tends to be seen more as being a particularly strong latent rather than someone who underwent rigorous psychic training (especially for Quantakinetics and Teleporters).

At least this will be my take on this until such time that this is officially addressed, hopefully in the final draft of the book (official PDF). Until then, I am still interested in hearing how others will justify their choice for their games... thematically at least (the mechanics are rather straight forward... one bonus dot is given up to be Psi 3; either the one from the Psion Template or one from Step 6).

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Sorry, for s ome reason I thought this was a character sheet question. So my bad.

I thought it was the bon us for given by template, though I can see how the other dot could be it.

Honest though I think it's just aside to say that while others gain an extra for of Attribute you gain an extra for of Psi. No need to micromanage which dot it comes from.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Fair enough... but to be honest there is some need to clear this up. The Dot provided by the Psion Template can only improve an Attribute in the Character's favored Approach (Force, Finesse or Resistance) while the Dot provided in Step 6 can be used for any Attribute, making that Dot potentially more valuable as it can be used to increase any of the 9 Attributes rather than just three of them. True, the chances are that the player will still use the Dot from Step 6 in the same way they would with the Dot from the Psion Template (to improve an Attribute from their Approach), but that won't always be the case. In the long run it may not mean much, but at character generation the difference between choosing between only 3 attributes or all 9 can be a little more important... especially if one is going for a specific feel for their character.

Comment

It's really not that important, because unless the SG is strictly enforcing the order of operations during character creation, and not letting them go back and massage the #'s to get what ever character they want, a player can always go back a step or two and move a few dots of attributes, which makes any restriction kind of pointless, as it's very easy to work around.
          Last edited by TheSarcasticSage; 03-10-2018, 12:13 AM.

Comment

As TheSarcasticSage says, it’s not really important. But logically^, it’s the bonus Attribute dot from finishing touches - the character has (unconsciously) focused on developing his psionic potential, at the expense of his other physical potential*. The Prometheus Chambers enhance psions equally, unlocking their psionic abilities and boosting their physical potential with an Attribute dot.

^ Even though ‘Finishing Touches’ comes after ‘Psionic Template’ in the step-by-step process.
            * For the purposes of this post, I’m using ‘physical potential’ to refer to any Attribute.
            Last edited by Bunyip; 03-10-2018, 01:41 AM. Reason: Removed step numbers to avoid confusion.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
              As TheSarcasticSage says, it’s not really important. But logically^, it’s the bonus Attribute dot from finishing touches - the character has (unconsciously) focused on developing his psionic potential, at the expense of his other physical potential*. The Prometheus Chambers enhance psions equally, unlocking their psionic abilities and boosting their physical potential with an Attribute dot.

^ Even though ‘Finishing Touches’ comes after ‘Psionic Template’ in the step-by-step process.
              * For the purposes of this post, I’m using ‘physical potential’ to refer to any Attribute.

And that would be what I would call an official take on this... with a good in-character justification for why too. Now, when players ask why the dot from Step 6 is sacrificed, I can give them an official and plausible answer for them to use with their characters... should they choose to go for the extra point of Psi.

For most, it may not be important... but for some it can be.

Comment

Working...
              X