Aberrant timeline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas Weinbrenner View Post
    There is the Thetis Initiative in Aeon, so there probably is a Thetis.
    That bit was a deliberate shout-out to all the folks who thought the central conspiracy of Aberrant was a bit unrealistic.

Comment

Yeah, i think it's safe to say based on writer comments on this forum, that the central conspiracy of Aberrant is either gone or significantly changed (see Nova Infertility thread rather than also debating it here - suffice to say that IF Novas have widespread infertility, and IF that is intentionally orchestrated by someone, it won't be as simple as a shot Utopia's giving in health checkups).

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Topher Gerkey View Post

That bit was a deliberate shout-out to all the folks who thought the central conspiracy of Aberrant was a bit unrealistic.
        I'm all for deliberate shout puts, especially if they are enjoyable. (Imagine if a fed up Divis Mal walks out of an interview stating "look I have arms" while shaking them. Lol)

But yeah it was a bit unrealistic the way portrayed. Plus I want my main PC group to not have a blatent evil operation going on.

Which makes it all the more funny how I supported Teragen. Lol

Comment

A nova survivor series, as in a TV show, where a bunch of Novas (and maybe baselines, not sure) are dropped on an island and given note to survive while being recorded.

What sort of society forms could be intriguing - and scary to governments if in many of the group's the Novas one out in charge.

As a rpg campaign it could be a way for diverse Novas to come together. Plus once the show is over you now have a bunch of famous Novas who know what to do if they were dropped on an island.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

I also like the second, the idea of a science project like that causing world wide eruptions. It's a planetary version of the Galtea explosion.
            The timing works well with some interesting political fallout as well. The LHC was activated Sept 10 2008. In our world, the market crashed as a result of the mortage crisis fallout on Sept 29th. In this alternate timeline, the public panic from N-Day would completely obscure the preexisting reasons behind a major market downturn. This factor, combined with Senator John McCain having his usual kneejerk hawk reaction to a national security issue, while Senator Obama had his usual calm wait-and-see reaction (there was a great article that year by an English Prof comparing them to Macbeth and Hamlet), McCain ends up narrowly winning the US Presidency. Still very popular, especially internationally, Barack Obama is chosen by the UN to be the first chairman of Project Utopia (anyone not finding that unrealistic does not remember the degree of international superstar Obama had become in 2008 before the realities of governing reduced him to mere mortal in the eyes of the world).
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

The timing works well with some interesting political fallout as well. The LHC was activated Sept 10 2008. In our world, the market crashed as a result of the mortage crisis fallout on Sept 29th. In this alternate timeline, the public panic from N-Day would completely obscure the the preexisting reasons behind a major market downturn. This factor, combined with Senator John McCain having his usual kneejerk hawk reaction to a national security issue, while Senator Obama had his usual calm wait-and-see reaction (there was a great article that year by an English Prof comparing them to Macbeth and Hamlet), McCain ends up narrowly winning the US Presidency. Still very popular, especially internationally, Barack Obama is chosen by the UN to be the first chairman of Project Utopia (anyone not finding that unrealistic does not remember the degree of international superstar Obama had become in 2008 before the realities of governing reduced him to mere mortal in the eyes of the world).
              Interesting, very interesting. I could totally see him being picked to lead Project Utopia (I wish it has a different more Greek seeming name to fit with other Aeon divisions). Cause your right he was somewhat a superstar. Plus nothing stops him from running for office again after four or eight years leading Utopia, if he wanted to.

I like your start I think it would have been a fun timeline change.

By the way have ouposted the details anywhere? I wouldn't mind reading more about it.

Comment

(I wish it has a different more Greek seeming name to fit with other Aeon divisions)
                I renamed them Project Atlas in part for that reason (also "Utopia" is just too on-the-nose for the black helicopter evil UN, New World Order, conspiracy theories). I thought it worked well since it a) followed the Classical Myth pattern, b) implied the image (though inaccurate the original myths) of holding up the world, c) suggest great strength and thus made sense as the preexisting name of the Aeon project dedicated to Eximorphs.

I don't think I ever posted the full timeline, but I will see if I can find it in my old game notes.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I renamed them Project Atlas in part for that reason (also "Utopia" is just too on-the-nose for the black helicopter evil UN, New World Order, conspiracy theories). I thought it worked well since it a) followed the Classical Myth pattern, b) implied the image (though inaccurate the original myths) of holding up the world, c) suggest great strength and thus made sense as the preexisting name of the Aeon project dedicated to Eximorphs.

I don't think I ever posted the full timeline, but I will see if I can find it in my old game notes.
                  First Project Atlas sounds perfect. Even before I read your full paragraph I thought "holding up the world what a perfect nova analogy". So yoink!

Yeah Project Utopia doesn't work for multiple reasons, let alone it's darker connotations that I dislike as a point.

I would be quite happy to read your notes, as I find the ideas you present quite interesting. And fun. And enjoyable.

Comment

Interesting, very interesting. I could totally see him being picked to lead Project Utopia (I wish it has a different more Greek seeming name to fit with other Aeon divisions). Cause your right he was somewhat a superstar. Plus nothing stops him from running for office again after four or eight years leading Utopia, if he wanted to.
                    If N-day is supposed to be this year (2018) then he could become a leader in utopia full-time at this point. His international popularity was such that I heard the French jokingly (maybe) asked if they could have him now that we're done with him, and that's just the kind of person Aeon would want heading up their utopia project or at least in control of their Diplomacy Corps.

Project Atlas makes a lot of sense, I may use that from now on...

Comment

One thing I remember from my timeline, which I haven’t found a copy of yet, was that the UK did leave the EU, so called that! However in this fiction it was a reaction to closer continental integration.

As the history played out, the French permanent seat on the UN Security Council became the EU seat. The Directive in this continuity answers to those 5 governments (so Germany is already included via sharing the EU seat, Japan is out as it’s inclusion was always weird not being a major global intelligence player, and China is in).

Brazil and India are the strongest parties lobbying for permanent seats. Officially the US supports their bids and China is the obstacle (particularly for India). Unofficially the US is no more interested in more countries with veto power than anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                      X