Aberrant War Inspiration - The Reckoners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant War Inspiration - The Reckoners

Was surfing some of the projects currently on Kickstarter and found this game https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=user_menu that has 4 days left to go. The game is based on a series of books where a strange light 10 years earlier gave some people fantastic powers similar to those of comic book heroes... called Epics... but all seem to have become evil. They have taken control over most of the world... with normal people, governments and police proving to be ineffective (as the Epics only have a single weakness that is unique for each).

Both the game and the books give a good idea of what all out war between humans and Novas/Aberrants would mostly be like... provided that the Chinese are not able to carry out their Ultimatum. How different would the Aeon timeline be if the Aberrants and Novas were not chased from Earth? Would the few that manage to maintain control and sanity be able to keep their insane brethren under control... and would they be able to regain the confidence of the regular humans? Perhaps.

While we discuss possible alternate outcomes of the Aberrant War... good and bad (all a matter of perspective to be honest), I suggest you checkout the Reckoner game Kickstarter while there is still time to get in on the Kickstarter exclusive deals. Only 4 days left to go (ends March 15th).

As for how the Aberrant War concludes without the Chinese Ultimatum... it would depend on how you want to play things out. Maybe the 22nd century will be a grim-dark dystopia where Aberrants have divided the world in their personal kingdoms. Psions could be a new (but small) resistance force aided by unknown parties (the Doyen) out to regain control of the Earth... before it is destroyed by alien forces (also backed by the Doyen). Perhaps something a bit more optimistic... where Novas/Aberrants are viewed as powerful beings that like the rest of humanity can be good or evil... and enjoy a status similar to that found in many comic book universes... where some are villainous and others are heroic. Then there is the possibility that the Novas are able to truly defeat their Aberrant counterparts... and even find a way to stave off the madness that seems all too common for their kind... harnessing the full potential of their Quantum powers in a way that few other species have... and that the Doyen greatly fear... creating the positive future that both Max Mercer and Divis Mal envisioned for humanity (though not quite like either's vision). Perhaps they were able to unite their factions and uncover some plot (by the Doyen?) that unites humans and Novas in a way that no one ever thought possible... and now have to deal with new threats (possibly Doyen in origin?) that threaten their hard won peace with a new age of war and strife.

In the Continuum... all things are possible.
    Last edited by Shadowstripe; 03-10-2018, 09:51 PM.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Yeah, I thought a lot about Aberrant while reading the books. The more the supers use their powers, the more evil the get. I also liked the unique weakness every super had. I could see it working well as another alternate timeline in the Continuum.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
      Yeah, I thought a lot about Aberrant while reading the books. The more the supers use their powers, the more evil the get. I also liked the unique weakness every super had. I could see it working well as another alternate timeline in the Continuum.

Haven't read it, but based on the description, it sounds like it could also work as good inspiration for playing Talents fighting on the human side of the Aberrant War in (particularly ruthless) Nova controlled territories. Even if its depiction of Epics as inherently driven toward evil is innaccurate as a sweeping generalization of Novas, such Novas without question existed and were a major part of why the Aberrant War happened, so seems like it could still fit in the main canon timeline.

Under a spoiler block, does anyone want to share whether the Reckoners series ends up subverting its original presented premise and have good Epics?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Under a spoiler block, does anyone want to share whether the Reckoners series ends up subverting its original presented premise and have good Epics?
        There is one who fights against the corrupting influence due to love, and then by the end, the corrupting influence is removed. So, by the end there is at least one good Epic.

Comment

Only a few hours left to get in on the Reckoners Board Game on Kickstarter... it finishes at 10:59 am (MST) on Thursday March 15th.

While there are certainly differences between the world of the Reckoners and the Trinity Continuum, they are not so dissimilar as one may think. True, not all Novas are evil... at least in the main timeline, but many feel that all Novas are likely to go insane eventually (so to many, they might as well all be evil... best to kill them all now than risk them becoming too powerful to stop when they inevitably turn on humanity). True, it is a narrow and short-sighted position to take... but no one ever said that humanity was the brightest species on the planet.

With humanity thinking that all Novas will eventually turn evil and will attack to kill anyone who displays such powers, chances are that even those who are good will see humanity as petty and vindictive and see their fellow Novas as their only real hope for a better life. Of course when they see how insane many of those Novas have become... some will wonder what hope there is for them to be anything but a monster. In such a situation, does one rise to the challenge of being a true hero even when no one will see you as anything but as a monster to be put down... or do you give in and become the monster everyone thinks you are destined to be? The choice is yours to make.

I also like the idea that Talents could act in much the same way as the Reckoners are... as exceptional warriors up against impossible odds to take down a threat that seems impossible to defeat. Maybe they are helped by a new groups of enhanced humans with Psychic powers (psions), though where they got such powers remains a mystery. Maybe they are aided by a few Novas sympathetic to the cause (but can you really trust such monsters not to turn on you when it suits their plans). Maybe they will get help from an unexpected source (aliens like the Qin or Chromatics who either wish to help or destroy humanity).

In the end, these are just one of the many possibilities that exists within the Continuum.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Working...
          X