Psychic detection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychic detection

In Aeon, what's the actual mechanism for detecting latents and other psychics? Quantakinesis lets its orders appear as any psi level to noetic detection, and it's mentioned that latents are more often detected in Aesclepian Order screenings, but a quick search through the PDF didn't make it clear whether this is done with a psionic power, or some kind of diagnostic device, or some third kind of thing. Since one of my players is playing a quantakinetic posing as a non-psionic person, I'm curious what sort of methods of detection exist.

I think in 1e Psions were supposed to be able to use assensing to detect latents but at a really high dificulty (with high psi latents being easier to detect). But even then I think the latency tests (they were never described in 1e) were still more reliable. I'll probably handle it the same way in the currenct edition.

Comment

Psions can detect other powerful psions by means of the Attunement ability (page 206 in the compiled preview manuscript). Clairsentience can expand this to sense regular psions and strong latents ("The Sight," page 233). Beyond that, latents are usually discovered via a series of medical tests that have not been described in detail.

There might be more, but that's what comes to mind off-hand.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
      WoD: W20 Rage Across the World, W20 Umbra
      CofD: Night Horrors: The Unbidden, Night Horrors: The Tormented, "Legacy" in the WtF Anthology
      Trinity Continuum: Aeon

Comment

I speculated about latency testing during the Kickstarter threads.

How invasive iand time consuming is latency testing? I don’t think it’s every been entirely detailed, but I imagine it includes both a blood test and various cognitive tests. I’d say the blood test portion only requires a very small amount of blood and looks for specific genetic markers that indicate latency and compatibility with Prometheus Chambers. I believe the cognitive tests take an hour or so and generate a profile that points out any predispositions towards certain Aptitudes. Put them both together and you get the kinds of latency tests AEon and the Orders administer.

Can latency testing be done without the individual’s knowledge? Sure, just look at Nippon. They test, find, and destroy without the people being any the wiser. In my mind, they only do the blood test portion (disguised as other general medical checkups) and don’t care less if you have predisposition to an Aptitiude. If they find latency markers, they counter it.

I think part of what you’re asking is whether people can wander around with portable scanning devices to randomly test members of the public for latency. In this case, in my mind I’d say no. *But*, Clairsentients can pick up on strong latency without anyone being aware of what they’re doing. But there aren’t that many clears, and they have better things to be doing than scanning for strong latents all the time.

Summary: Testing for latency is difficult (but not impossible) to do without the person noticing. Strong latents can be detected silently, if you have a clear who could be bothered.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

While it is possible to test for Laency, even without one's knowledge of it happening... it is also possible for one to be Latent but not detected... even if one is a strong latent (even without an uncontrolled use of a Mode)?

Just how widespread is the screening? How thoroughly is this screening? Can a person not be screened without realizing they've managed to avoid it? It isn't like everyone administering the tests are saying that they are testing for.

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowstripe View Post
            While it is possible to test for Laency, even without one's knowledge of it happening... it is also possible for one to be Latent but not detected... even if one is a strong latent (even without an uncontrolled use of a Mode)?
            It’s very easy to be an undetected latent - just never go to a screening centre. Done.

Just how widespread is the screening? How thoroughly is this screening? Can a person not be screened without realizing they've managed to avoid it? It isn't like everyone administering the tests are saying that they are testing for.
            Screening centers are all over the place. They’ll be harder to find in some countries than others, but they’re still there.

And I think you’ve answered your own question at the end, there.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it. WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Yes, the obvious testing centers can be avoided... probably fairly easily... but do governments rely only on those to see who is latent? Nippon obviously doesn't... and tests everyone secretly as much as they can to deal with the possibility. What of other countries (and psi-order) who want to be sure that no one escapes screening? What are the chances that someone can avoid even these secretive testing methods (probably just looking for the gene in medical exams and such) without even realizing they are doing so?

There are three types of people in the world... those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Yes, the obvious testing centers can be avoided... probably fairly easily... but do governments rely only on those to see who is latent? Nippon obviously doesn't... and tests everyone secretly as much as they can to deal with the possibility. What of other countries (and psi-order) who want to be sure that no one escapes screening? What are the chances that someone can avoid even these secretive testing methods (probably just looking for the gene in medical exams and such) without even realizing they are doing so?
                The Trinity Continuum isn’t the World/Chronicles of Darkness. There’s no shadow conspiracy aimed at screening the world. Apart from Nippon, no other country is doing forced (or secret) screening across the entire population. Enough people want to be psions that plenty of latents are discovered through their voluntary attendance at a center, and that keeps the Orders plenty busy with training and their work towards humanity’s future.

You can add what you’re describing to your game and world as you want. If you do so, it’s entirely up to you to decide how easy/difficult it is to avoid the detection methods your conspiracy has put in place.

Comment

I'm so glad the Trinity Continuum isnt the world of darkness. (I like to think of it as a world of brightness, though not in any official capacity).

I have to say I like how relatively easy testing might be. That and the fact anyone theoretically could meet the requirements (as in the trait doesn't care about social, political, economic, etc back grounds.)

Comment

"World of Brightness" definitely used to get some offhand backchannel use as a sort of joking reference to the increased emphasis on heroism and optimism we were to shoot for.

Comment

You're saying that none of the other Governments of the world are not eve a little bit jealous of the power the Psi-Orders have and wouldn't love to take control of the Psions they have? Not even a little? Even if it means secretly testing as many citizens as it takes to gain the same advantage?

I guess I miss-read that part in the FSA write up when it said that they would love to usurp control of the Electrokinetics from Orgotek and are not conducting their own tests on the lower levels of citizens to see who would have Latency that they could potentially use to their advantage (allowing a 2nd Class or lower Latent 1st Class status if they become a Psion loyal to them before the Orders for example). It would seem unlikely that many of the lower classes in this country have as free access to the voluntary centers... especially in the more remote areas of the nation.

I'm sure that there are other nations... or at least factions within them that would also want to have psions loyal to them. They may need the Psi-Orders to awaken the powers of the Psions through the Prometheus Cambers the Orders control, but that doesn't mean that they do not posses means to persuade or coerce an impressionable Latent to be loyal to their cause in exchange for arranging access to a Prometheus Chamber from one of the Orders... officially or otherwise.

If even a cursory medical exam could provide enough information to at least determine latency (not sure if it can determine how strong of a latency) even if doing so is not standard procedure, then it is possible that anyone with access to such information could conduct such a screening even if it isn't official (or legal in most places).

The world may not be as dark, paranoid or filled with conspiracies as the World of Darkness... but there are groups and factions that do want to control beings like Psions (and Novas... and even Talents when recognized)... or at least level the playing field with their own such operatives. If they have to resort to covert means to gain such an advantage (for what ever reason they may have), then so be it. I doubt the world of Aeon is so perfectly Utopian that even the most covert faction relies on obvious means to recruit such assets.

Comment

I imagine its RATHER hard to slip people past the psi order screening with.. Telepaths existing. Might as well work to corrupt someone after they've gotten through. Also mass detection on a subtle scale would require ready access to health care to sneak it in.

Comment

You're saying that none of the other Governments of the world are not eve a little bit jealous of the power the Psi-Orders have and wouldn't love to take control of the Psions they have? Not even a little? Even if it means secretly testing as many citizens as it takes to gain the same advantage?
                          Im sure they would love to, but even if they test and find all the latents in their given country... what then? What do you do with a pool of latents? They have no access to the Prometheus Chambers.

I guess I miss-read that part in the FSA write up when it said that they would love to usurp control of the Electrokinetics from Orgotek and are not conducting their own tests on the lower levels of citizens to see who would have Latency that they could potentially use to their advantage (allowing a 2nd Class or lower Latent 1st Class status if they become a Psion loyal to them before the Orders for example). It would seem unlikely that many of the lower classes in this country have as free access to the voluntary centers... especially in the more remote areas of the nation.
                          Latency means nothing if you can't do anything with it. Orgotech has the chamber, and while I'm sure that the FSA would love to get a hold of it. They know that they only get one chance to try and grab it, and they aren't quite willing to kill the golden goose just yet.

I'm sure that there are other nations... or at least factions within them that would also want to have psions loyal to them. They may need the Psi-Orders to awaken the powers of the Psions through the Prometheus Cambers the Orders control, but that doesn't mean that they do not posses means to persuade or coerce an impressionable Latent to be loyal to their cause in exchange for arranging access to a Prometheus Chamber from one of the Orders... officially or otherwise.
                          Hence why there is usually a Telepath or two, and a Clear who look over all perspective candidates.

If even a cursory medical exam could provide enough information to at least determine latency (not sure if it can determine how strong of a latency) even if doing so is not standard procedure, then it is possible that anyone with access to such information could conduct such a screening even if it isn't official (or legal in most places).
                          Once again, yes, they can, but of what value is doing so? Everything costs something, and unless there are results... funding for any such project will dry up quite fast.... Unless this is the plot of your own personal campaign, and in that case, go for it. It sounds like it could be a neat premise for a campaign.

The world may not be as dark, paranoid or filled with conspiracies as the World of Darkness... but there are groups and factions that do want to control beings like Psions (and Novas... and even Talents when recognized)... or at least level the playing field with their own such operatives. If they have to resort to covert means to gain such an advantage (for what ever reason they may have), then so be it. I doubt the world of Aeon is so perfectly Utopian that even the most covert faction relies on obvious means to recruit such assets.
                          Of course not everyone is on the up and up. There are entire sections of TC: Aeon dedicated to espionage games. FSA, Nippon, Eastern Europe, India, the list goes on and on. The game just didn't make them front and center, but they are still there, ready and waiting for any SG that wants to use them.

Comment

Given the exclusivity of the Prometheus chambers, I'd expect that governments, corporations, and criminal syndicates who want their own psychics would focus more on Psiads than Psions. You have to recruit a Psion since they're going to be involved with some other group regardless in order to get access to a promy chamber, but as soon as even one Psiad comes to light they'll be all over the idea of; What is this, how did it come to be, and how do we induce this in others?

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
                              Given the exclusivity of the Prometheus chambers, I'd expect that governments, corporations, and criminal syndicates who want their own psychics would focus more on Psiads than Psions. You have to recruit a Psion since they're going to be involved with some other group regardless in order to get access to a promy chamber, but as soon as even one Psiad comes to light they'll be all over the idea of; What is this, how did it come to be, and how do we induce this in others?

Psiads are so rare its not even funny, but there are plenty of people who do their time in the Orders and just leave to go Freelance. These would be the people I'd expect to be targeted. I think what.. half of the Psions by the book are freelance.

Comment

Working...
                              X