Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunyip
    replied
    I speculated about latency testing during the Kickstarter threads.

How invasive iand time consuming is latency testing? I don’t think it’s every been entirely detailed, but I imagine it includes both a blood test and various cognitive tests. I’d say the blood test portion only requires a very small amount of blood and looks for specific genetic markers that indicate latency and compatibility with Prometheus Chambers. I believe the cognitive tests take an hour or so and generate a profile that points out any predispositions towards certain Aptitudes. Put them both together and you get the kinds of latency tests AEon and the Orders administer.

Can latency testing be done without the individual’s knowledge? Sure, just look at Nippon. They test, find, and destroy without the people being any the wiser. In my mind, they only do the blood test portion (disguised as other general medical checkups) and don’t care less if you have predisposition to an Aptitiude. If they find latency markers, they counter it.

I think part of what you’re asking is whether people can wander around with portable scanning devices to randomly test members of the public for latency. In this case, in my mind I’d say no. *But*, Clairsentients can pick up on strong latency without anyone being aware of what they’re doing. But there aren’t that many clears, and they have better things to be doing than scanning for strong latents all the time.

Summary: Testing for latency is difficult (but not impossible) to do without the person noticing. Strong latents can be detected silently, if you have a clear who could be bothered.

Leave a comment:

• MythicFox
    replied
    Psions can detect other powerful psions by means of the Attunement ability (page 206 in the compiled preview manuscript). Clairsentience can expand this to sense regular psions and strong latents ("The Sight," page 233). Beyond that, latents are usually discovered via a series of medical tests that have not been described in detail.

There might be more, but that's what comes to mind off-hand.

Leave a comment:

• Slagheap
    replied
    I think in 1e Psions were supposed to be able to use assensing to detect latents but at a really high dificulty (with high psi latents being easier to detect). But even then I think the latency tests (they were never described in 1e) were still more reliable. I'll probably handle it the same way in the currenct edition.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X