Teragen 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teragen 2.0

With N-day being sometime this year and the new aberrant setting being 10 years from now, the original founders of the Teragen (Mathematician and Orzaiz) now enjoy access to the connective power of the internet and can not only compress their tears of meetings down to perhaps months (with invite only discussion groups) but also get a greater sampling of those sympathetic to their ideals through internet anonymity. Even if they are given less of a plot essential role, the whole movement will likely move up its timetable and change some of its focus issues.

So given that they were previously concerned with; Transhumanism, the Nova Sterility Conspiracy, Nova proxies sacrificed in military, Anti-nova laws/policies, and Nova exploitation by society; what kinds of additional issues could we assume they'd lump in with their list of grievances? I remember in another thread someone mentioned that data analytics, social media, and the sheer pervasiveness (& nosiness) of the internet would make living discretely as a nova next to impossible. I could see that being one more straw to break the camel's back.
    Last edited by Darksol-aeternium; 06-22-2018, 02:00 PM.

I mean, they had OpNet last time, but given that in 1998 the writers didn't predict the full impact that kind of mass social media could have - and I fully expect that to part of how Aberrant 2E explores the themes of celebrity media culture now that it didn't last time!

(see also, ideological media bubbles and the ability to handpick the "truth" you want to be presented with, the mainstreaming of fandom/shipping/fic-writing culture, audience demands to content creators, how the "Alt-Right" intersects with Nova politics, etc)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Honestly, a lot of the core Aberrant setting fits really well with the media age of today, the book was in some ways shockingly prescient. 'Pope Benedict, anyone?'

The Teragen are the most interesting group and in some ways I think they should be the least changed organization in Aberrant. The Mathematician has had the innate ability to use analytics that humans are just now starting to understand how to use, but he's had access for a century to that ability to run data to that level.

What will really be different is how they stay hidden. Technology of 2018 makes hiding from Utopia very difficult, just from a mundane perspective. So, I would imagine the Teragen are going to have to do one of two things. Hide in a pocket dimension away from their Earth, or have the ability to mask their Taint from discovery as well as masking their real locations.

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Comment

I could see someone like The Mathematician using their power to conceal their presence from baseline data analytics. Post the right thing to the right place at the right time, and it completely borks their Potential Nova Detection Algorithm by exploiting a unknown flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by InclusiveGaming View Post

What will really be different is how they stay hidden. Technology of 2018 makes hiding from Utopia very difficult, just from a mundane perspective. So, I would imagine the Teragen are going to have to do one of two things. Hide in a pocket dimension away from their Earth, or have the ability to mask their Taint from discovery as well as masking their real locations.
          I didn't think that they'd be able to detect taint emanations in the Aberrant era, that was usually a function of the trinity era.

I also didn't think about Mathematician using his abilities to hide them from data analytics since he typically doesn't act so much as advise...but he could certainly do that. Otherwise they could just get Synapse (who would be like unto a god in this era) to totally mask all terat strongholds from detection.

Comment

I think abilities like Enigma and more could be used as well as more quantum enhanced powers.

Honestly, to me, someone like Divis Mal might have a number of identities over his century of life. Which means sometimes he goes to a movie with Jeremiah Scripture under the name Michael. Hehe

But yeah I think it shouldn't be insurmountable for Novas to keep there bases secret from baselines if they so choose to do so. Even more I bet the private homes of certain high powered Novas are even hidden from other Novas.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
              I could see someone like The Mathematician using their power to conceal their presence from baseline data analytics. Post the right thing to the right place at the right time, and it completely borks their Potential Nova Detection Algorithm by exploiting a unknown flaw.

That's a really good point that I hadn't considered. Yeah, that would be cool Algorithmic disruption is a cool power.

Originally posted by Darksoul
              I didn't think that they'd be able to detect taint emanations in the Aberrant era, that was usually a function of the trinity era.
              I think other Novas have powers that allow them to find Quantum signatures. Right?

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Comment

Originally posted by InclusiveGaming View Post

I think other Novas have powers that allow them to find Quantum signatures. Right?
                Yes, they can use Node to scan the immediate area along with Quantum Awareness. But doing that doesn't give you the faction of any given nova and doesn't tell you their taint rating, just presence of nova and quantum rating. You could waste lots of time scanning around for even slight traces of novas so you can try to "tag" them all, but that doesn't guarantee that the nova you just tagged is a Terat.

Comment

True. I need to dig back into the rules again. It's been a little bit since I've run a game.

Comment

Been a while but this thought also came to me; In the absence of Divis Mal's influence (not sure if he is confirmed for the update) yet still within the modern era, how could you see the Teragen changing in methods, and message? Remember that in the beginings of the group it was still a creation of Mathematician, Orzaiz, Fong, and Delorimier, where Shrapnel, Geryon, Swarm Queen, and Apothecary joined just a year before Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
                      Been a while but this thought also came to me; In the absence of Divis Mal's influence (not sure if he is confirmed for the update) yet still within the modern era, how could you see the Teragen changing in methods, and message? Remember that in the beginings of the group it was still a creation of Mathematician, Orzaiz, Fong, and Delorimier, where Shrapnel, Geryon, Swarm Queen, and Apothecary joined just a year before Mal.
                      We know quite a bit about the Mathematician, Orzaiz and Delorimier, but little or nothing from the point of view of Caroline Fong, so I'd be interested in seeing how her presence changes the dynamics of the Teragen leadership. (Particularly if the new text picks up after her rescue from Bahrain, coming out of a long Chrysalis in who knows what evolved state, and possible retaliation against Delorimier...)

Orzaiz is an interesting one, but, scattered around the text this charming, charming man can be scarily racist. (His conversations with Andy Vance about rebuilding the Amp Room contain some comments that Andy seems to find not worthy of replying to, leaving it up to the reader whether or not 'Ironskin' agrees with his views or is just being polite and not arguing with him.)

Anywho, each of the four brings something more subtle to the group. Orzaiz, media manipulation and 'class.' Fong, deeper philosophy (she invented the concept of Teras, IIRC). Santiago, money and financial / business manipulations, but also a strong dose of caution and dithering. Delorimier, religious trappings and fanaticism (and addiction...).

I feel like Geryon, Leviathan, Shrapnel, Epoch, the Confederate, etc. really dragged the Teragen into a more 'bomb-throwing terrorist' direction, against the inclinations of the four founders.

(Just as Dr. Worm and his faction may have dragged the Aberrants into a more active and disruptive role than Sophia Rousseau may have preferred on her own, but, in this case, they, like the Teragen, end up having to dance with the one's that brung them, and adopt at least some of the viewpoints of the only allies their cause can attract, rather than refuse their much-needed help.)

The Teragen takes it one step further in that it, by principle, is *supposed* to be a 'big tent' with room for all sorts of Novas, not just the ones the founding four found morally or ethically or philosophically sympatico.

It's possibly their biggest weakness, and I'm reminded of how Caesar essentially neutered the Roman Senate by appointing 200 new Senators (which could well be a thing people say and not something that really happened...), knowing that the large increase in debate and positions would paralyze them. The Teragen, each time it adds a new prominent Nova with a popular position, is fragmenting itself by creating a new faction within itself. Lacking the sort of top-down control from a dedicated leadership group with specific goals and agendas, like Project Utopia, the Teragen is perpetually trapped in a state of low-level civil war. (At least until it heats up, and becomes 'the night of long knives.')

Last edited by Ian Turner; 06-22-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X