No announcement yet.

Mega-Attributes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that these two statements are not opposites.

1) A nova focused on punching should be set to punch something into orbit.

2) A nova should not immediately loose because he chooses to face a nova who likes to punch things to orbit.

Part of the problem in 1e is that they used the WOD system which is about monsters with powers in he might not super powered beings like Superman or Magneto. So the rules didn't always match the setting.

Which for me is a no brainer, let the setting win.

It's also why I don't mind i f Mega-Attribute as a term disappears. People in setting didn't say "I'm Mega-Strong" for all that we could see them doing certain things that fit the concept. It's basically why I said "hey even if they change the name are the enhancements of 1e still going to be there"

Comment

Meh. Mega strength is a little too good early game, I guess. Late game it’s basically useless though.

I’d say the problem doesn’t lie with mega strength. It lies with mega stamina, and the really weird soak powers. Force field is really good. Armor is not. Mega stam is only useful in powering force field. Etc.

And it all explodes once you put mastery on quantum bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
        I’d say the problem doesn’t lie with mega strength. It lies with mega stamina, and the really weird soak powers. Force field is really good. Armor is not. Mega stam is only useful in powering force field. Etc.
        It lies with both. Part of Mega-Strength’s problem was that it didn’t follow the same rules as other Mega-Attributes, which resulted in it not playing nicely with others.

This is part of why Scale could work well - you can compare and work out effects accordingly. If Nova A has Mega-Strength giving +2 Scale and Nova B has Mega-Stamina giving +2 Scale, they cancel each other out and you roll normal dice pools for both. If Nova A attacks a Baseline, that poor sap is going to whomped. etc. Nova A also has the edge against Novas with Mega-Stamina giving only +1 Scale, and will struggle against those with +3 Scale. For example.

You also have to remember that none of this can be considered in isolation. Storypath is a different system - damage doesn’t work the same way, Defence doesn’t work the same way. You can’t just ‘fix Mega-Strength’ without taking into account how Mega-Strength interacts with the rest of the system.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
        WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Why is the mega strength 5 guy even attempting to hit the mega charisma guy? Convince him you are best friends. It will be cake, since he burned all his nova points getting quantum 5 and mega strength. Or dominate him into killing himself. Or poison him, unless he also bought mega stam. In which case, steal his quantum energy or steal HIS mega strength and kill him with it.

Also, Invulnerability is 6 auto soak to basing and lethal per dot. Kinetic is an acceptable form to take without adding an extra. Punching is kinetic damage. So Invulnerability is stronger, point for point, than Mega Strength...AND Inv counts towards aggy damage of the matching type.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_392_1519878565794_106[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
            I think that these two statements are not opposites.

1) A nova focused on punching should be set to punch something into orbit.

2) A nova should not immediately loose because he chooses to face a nova who likes to punch things to orbit.
            1.) I don’t think anyone has an issue with the concept of mega strength getting to the level where you can indeed punch something into space, the issue is that this is a role playing game and the progression to that power is almost non-existent. If, like in games like Exalted, it took multiple powers combined or a lengthy XP sink to get from lifting a truck to killing a normal guy by flicking his nose I don’t think anyone would have much to complain about.

2.) This speaks to the issue as addressed earlier in the thread - this is still a game system so there needs to be parity of level progression. Near perfect “to hits” need a near perfect defense to counter it. Otherwise one power dominates the game.

Comment

Working...
            X