First Trinity Playtest/Session

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Trinity Playtest/Session

So last night we were missing a couple of players from my Exalted group and we decided to try out Trinity. Character creation went pretty fast, the only place it slowed down a bit was picking out Edges. We then jumped into the beginning of a story with the characters investigating a village where all its people were frozen in amber. They ran into a few thugs and we did our first sort of tutorial combat. A few observations and rules comments/questions for anyone that finds that helpful:
    • Combat was a little tricky to figure out at first, but after a few rounds we got into it and the stunts added a really neat dimension to things, with taking cover and pinning down opponents.
    • The weapon design rules are fun but a little confusing. Range in particular. Looking through the Aeon book it seems like weapon ranges work slightly different so I'm curious if there will be some clarification.
    • It seems like the movement and range band rules are still in a bit of flux. Some of the range names are different depending on what part of the book you are reading.
    • Taking Cover is great and seems like everyone should do it. We were a little confused about how it interacts with Defense afterward and when to apply the damage to it.
    • There are several actions that are referenced by Edges that don't seem to be described.( I may have overlooked them.) It seems like there needs to be an action to spend time aiming at your opponent that is referenced by the Sniper Style Edge, and also a draw weapon action that the Quick Draw edge improves to make Reflexive.
    • The Armor Expert Edge references a Bulky/Tiring tag for armor that doesn't seem to be in the rules.
    • Skill Tricks are really fun and I gave my players a little experience so they could each get one.
    • The experience point to the group for emptying half of the momentum pool seems like it could be used every scene. As intended?
    • The Gun Tool skill trick is hilarious.
    One thing I really liked about the combat was that it really did have a good feel for a shootout. We are definitely looking forward to doing some more with the rules and eventually getting into Talent/Psion stuff.

I don't have much to say but do know that I was happy to read your notes and thoughts upon actual play. So if you play again I would totally like to hear more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
      I don't have much to say but do know that I was happy to read your notes and thoughts upon actual play. So if you play again I would totally like to hear more about it.

Allow me to second that. The more I read other people's stuff, the more I get how the game should flow.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post

Allow me to second that. The more I read other people's stuff, the more I get how the game should flow.
        Glad to hear it is helpful for you two. I can go into a little more detail if there is something specific you would like to know.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this. As I don't always have a group, I love me some session reports, so if you've continued playing, or if anyone else has given it a go I'd love to hear about it.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroseMorgan View Post
            Just wanted to bump this. As I don't always have a group, I love me some session reports, so if you've continued playing, or if anyone else has given it a go I'd love to hear about it.
            Well I can give you a little bit of any update. When the Dragon-Blood kickstarter came out it sorta reenergized my Exalted game so we've only had one other Trinity session. Unfortunately we ended up calling it early because it was just too difficult to use the rules in their current state to run the scenario I wanted to. I still think its going to be a cool game and I'll post more updates if we revisit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Therian View Post

Well I can give you a little bit of any update. When the Dragon-Blood kickstarter came out it sorta reenergized my Exalted game so we've only had one other Trinity session. Unfortunately we ended up calling it early because it was just too difficult to use the rules in their current state to run the scenario I wanted to. I still think its going to be a cool game and I'll post more updates if we revisit it.

I've been all up in some Dragon-blooded too, so I haven't finished reading my Trinity and Scion books. What rules issues did you run into? More of the above, or something else?

Comment

I've been all up in some Dragon-blooded too, so I haven't finished reading my Trinity and Scion books. What rules issues did you run into? More of the above, or something else?

Part of it was the range and movement. Also stealth. The main thing was I was trying to reference the book for things the players wanted to do and the terminology was different in different sections and it just got kinda frustrating. Part of that may have been on me because I hadn't sat down with the book again and it had been a few weeks. But the Trinity book in particular still needs some work to get it fully playable I think.

Comment

Part of it was the range and movement. Also stealth. The main thing was I was trying to reference the book for things the players wanted to do and the terminology was different in different sections and it just got kinda frustrating. Part of that may have been on me because I hadn't sat down with the book again and it had been a few weeks. But the Trinity book in particular still needs some work to get it fully playable I think.

Funnily enough, Movement is one of the portions of the text that is more usable currently for Scion than Trinity, although equally funny, Scion uses feet and Trinity uses meters for the non-range-band movement calculation. Range, I haven't gotten that far. If I hadn't started reading Scion first before Trinity I wouldn't have known.

Speaking of Exalted, I was surprised that of all of the changes 3e made, the only one they cribbed for Storypath was movement.

Comment

Funnily enough, Movement is one of the portions of the text that is more usable currently for Scion than Trinity, although equally funny, Scion uses feet and Trinity uses meters for the non-range-band movement calculation. Range, I haven't gotten that far. If I hadn't started reading Scion first before Trinity I wouldn't have known.

Speaking of Exalted, I was surprised that of all of the changes 3e made, the only one they cribbed for Storypath was movement.

I'm not actually sure what did come first. I was talking to Holden one time at a convention and he was saying after they came up with the movement system they were surprised to find out that FFG's Star Wars system uses something very similar. He didn't mention Storypath at all and that was years ago.

Comment

I'm not actually sure what did come first. I was talking to Holden one time at a convention and he was saying after they came up with the movement system they were surprised to find out that FFG's Star Wars system uses something very similar. He didn't mention Storypath at all and that was years ago.

Huh, I haven't had a chance to dig into FFG Star Wars. Neat. I always figured it was a way to do Fate Zones without some of the issues with Zones.

Comment

Working...
                      X