Trinity with the Supernatural

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity with the Supernatural

So I love the idea of a Sci Fi Setting when most of the Whitewolfy legacy is supernatural. But with that said Trinity seems to be very open to customization, what with opening up to playing characters from Adventure, Aeon, and Aberrant in any time in history because they point out they are just uncommon but still you have Aliens accidently creating Novas or Psions in the Wild West or what have you. And the Game I want to try first is that whole Multiverse Chronicle. But most importantly the big inspirations for a lot of the games don't shy away from the Weird and Supernatural. The Pulp Era had mystics from the Himalaya's and mad cultists. Hell Jackie Chan Adventures could be a good example of a modern day pulp adventure ala Doc Savage. And even more so Aberrant is inspired by Comics and Man oh Man Thor is one of my Favorites! So while in some chronicles I like the idea of the universality of Trinity and their favoring everything Wonderous can be explained with either Flux, Psi, or Quantum, I would like to also touch upon things like oh hey I found the Hammer of Thor and Now I am uhh... the God of Thunder.

So what about tapping Scion for a lot of these? It would probably be prudent to keep the lions share of the rules in Trinity if that is the main setting of the particular game. But why not tap into more sources of Superness then just Flux/Psi/Quantum? You could even tap into World of Darkness inspiration and have vampires, mages and spirits, though probably it would be easiest to use Scion as a rules template for such things.

Or if you are really set on Flux/Psi/Quantum being the be all of Trinity you could do the whole Mighty enough Science is essentially magic. The Earth X trilogy has the Idea that the Celestials gave humanity the potential to become Mutants. And if Mutants spread and dominate over humanity they will eventually stabilize their powers over the generation, favoring shapeshifting, and after that they become undefined gods who actually redefine their potential from the expectation of lesser beings, and thus the Gods were born when a mortal crippled storyteller greeted Alien Wonderers as the gods of his culture and embraced them and became Odin. This was a failsafe so that Evolution wouldn't lead to beings that could compete with the Celestials. But it could be stolen for Trinity. Gods could be beings from the Alien Species that Ascended to a higher plane, or even Humans from the End of Time.

And why not just have super powers that are not tied with Quantum/Psi/Flux? Like have super strong super intelligent beings, but maybe not as insanely strong and smart as Quantum Enhancement. Maybe just by sublime anatomy. And what about Artificial Lifeforms? They would necessarily tap into Psi or Quantum, just using high science?

I mean if I am going to be breaking the setting by doing something like a Multiverse game or a Viking Nova Game what hurts if I take Marvel as inspiration and have it Mutants vs Magic? Thor Fights Apocalypse?

Please weigh in,

How easy do you think it would be to pop in such things? Particularly stealing from Scion? Why not a Scion Psion game?

It is a time for great deeds!

I like your ideas. The easiest would be porting in the new version of Scion, since they both use the same system.

Comment

Note that the Ægis setting (ancient Greece) is basically there to show Flux, Psi, and Quantum as the sources of heroes, sorcerers, and gods.

Mixing Scion and Trinity is doable; but it's not straightforward. There are subtle differences between the two games. Still, I don't think it's any harder than mixing, say, Mage and Werewolf. Still, it seems a waste to just add scions (and other creatures of Legend) to the Trinity Continuum (the “Thor joins the Avengers” model). I'd rather see something more along the lines of Disney's Gargoyles.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        Note that the Ægis setting (ancient Greece) is basically there to show Flux, Psi, and Quantum as the sources of heroes, sorcerers, and gods.

Mixing Scion and Trinity is doable; but it's not straightforward. There are subtle differences between the two games. Still, I don't think it's any harder than mixing, say, Mage and Werewolf. Still, it seems a waste to just add scions (and other creatures of Legend) to the Trinity Continuum (the “Thor joins the Avengers” model). I'd rather see something more along the lines of Disney's Gargoyles.

Could you clarify the difference there?

Comment

I didn't realize the Aegis setting was confirmed? I thought it was still just a likely early guess us forumites posited pretty early on. I thought the only confirmed new setting was Anima for the VR/AR addicted future.

Comment

It has been confirmed.

Comment

‘Confirmed’, as in ‘part of the plan’. It hasn’t been confirmed in the sense that it’s being written yet, or is in the publication pipe. Even Aberrant wasn’t actually confirmed until a couple of weeks ago when Core and AEon performed well at Kickstarter.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
              WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Most of the pulpier supernatural elements I think are pretty well established to be doable with the existent metaphysics. Easy enough for low tier eximorphic mutant shapeshifters to cover theiranthropes, Psiads to cover most form of mystics, Flux imbued artifacts to have weird properties/curses, psychic impressions to linger as "ghosts", alchemy to just be super science that requires flux imbued materials, etc etc.

The only thing I'm not sure how to handle in the context of the Trinity Continuum, and something I hope Adventure! 2E will explore, is pulp/wuxia Martial Arts.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

What about sorcerers using spells, rituals, and creating magical objects. I'm still not savvy yet. I wanted to wait to get my physical books but I am breaking down and reading the manuscripts.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    What about sorcerers using spells, rituals, and creating magical objects. I'm still not savvy yet. I wanted to wait to get my physical books but I am breaking down and reading the manuscripts.

"Magical" objects are harnessed flux phenomena.

Actual rituals where the ritual matters, rather than just being a some earlier form of pyschomorph's focusing mantra, would obviously have to be appealing to some external entity (just as ritual invocations are supposed to appeal to). The setting obviously already includes disembodied being of great power.

Comment

Alright that fits along the lines of what I was hoping. How do flux items work? Are they always accidental Creations? What about Items handed down from higher beings?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        Alright that fits along the lines of what I was hoping. How do flux items work? Are they always accidental Creations? What about Items handed down from higher beings?

It's something that hasn't been given a lot of mechanics yet, but is definitely seeded in the setting/plot-hook in-universe stuff in the Trinity Core. One of the Trinity Core adventure expansions from the kickstarter is specifically aimed at Indiana Jones style archaeology-adventure (via the Global Cartography Initiative), so the subject will hopefully get further fleshed out there.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          Most of the pulpier supernatural elements I think are pretty well established to be doable with the existent metaphysics. Easy enough for low tier eximorphic mutant shapeshifters to cover theiranthropes, Psiads to cover most form of mystics, Flux imbued artifacts to have weird properties/curses, psychic impressions to linger as "ghosts", alchemy to just be super science that requires flux imbued materials, etc etc.

The only thing I'm not sure how to handle in the context of the Trinity Continuum, and something I hope Adventure! 2E will explore, is pulp/wuxia Martial Arts.
                          What's hard about that? It's either a low-level Quantum thing or a high-level Flux thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                            What's hard about that? It's either a low-level Quantum thing or a high-level Flux thing.
                            I meant because it’s something that should be mechanically represented for PCs, so hope Adventure! does so.

Comment

So if I were to add in things like Sorcerers would I need to make them a separate thing from all the others, or maybe just enhanced edges that Talents can use?

Comment

Working...
                              X