How does Superscience work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Superscience work?

So the world's governments banned Nova Science after they left. But is their any system difference between Aberrant Tech and normal advanced tech from say a future era?

I find it hard to believe the whole world would just turn their back on supertechnology when in crisis. Anyone who didn't banish their confiscated Nova tech would have an immediate advantage.

Or am I misunderstanding things? Is it like Technocracies enlightened science and Nova Tech is actually tainted by Quantum?

In the setting how easy would it be for a singular Nova to have single handedly invented greater Science then the whole of the world at large? Can you have veritable Tony Stark and Reed Richards who are single handedly inventing things centuries ahead of the rest of the world and even better then lesser super scientists like Hank McCoy?

I really want more Trinity, especially Aberrant now... :P

And whats stopping an advanced alien species from not needing Psi or Quantum, but just using insane science to perform godlike feats?

It is a time for great deeds!

As I understand it, nova-originated science that could be understood and replicated by baseline humans was considered okay (this is where, frex, artificial gravity tech comes from). The science that ReWrite went around destroying or locking away was the crazy advanced stuff that baselines couldn't truly grasp or make more of, and yeah, some of it was inherently Corruptive.

Comment

Like what would it take to build an equivalent for a Prometheus Chamber without using Doyen Designs, so Psi Locking, and Alien DNA derailing? Maybe it would be a Neutral Chamber, that more creates a spontaneous Psi Affinity, or Psiads.

Comment

Looking through the book it has Inspired Science a step below Psion/Aberrant super science. Why would Psion science be better? Is it cause they can bolster their mental attributes?

Comment

Probably because Psion/Psiad and Nova are of an equivalent category of energy user since Psi and Quantum are equivalent as an overall thing.

Inspired Science, though using Quantum and Psi technically, uses a more lower form with a bit less energy output.

The difference between the shallows and he deep end of the ocean.

Comment

Could crazy amazing Science exist that anyone can use that would uplift them to Nova/Psion levels? I'm thinking here the Rings of the Mandarin, or even a Hammer of Thor.

That is a product I would love, something to bring up Equipment and far out super tech so you can design characters on the level of say Overwatch. Many of them would get powers from skill and equipment so that would make them Talents yeah?

Comment

Science that makes people into psions = Prometheus Chambers.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher Gerkey View Post
                Science that makes people into psions = Prometheus Chambers.

I don't mean necessarily makes people into Scions. I mean science that when harnessed can compete with Psions and Aberrants like Reinhardt in his suit in Overwatch, or the Mandarin with his Rings, or Ironman.

And Prometheus Chambers are very specific you could even make a nonAlien DNA version of the Prometheus Chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

I don't mean necessarily makes people into Scions. I mean science that when harnessed can compete with Psions and Aberrants like Reinhardt in his suit in Overwatch, or the Mandarin with his Rings, or Ironman.

And Prometheus Chambers are very specific you could even make a nonAlien DNA version of the Prometheus Chamber.
                  The closest in-universe thing we have atm is Nippon Superiors.
                  That said, Iron Man basically just had an Artifact miniVARG. For most of his history, you could run him as a Talent with a supered up suit. Inspired Science.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

The closest in-universe thing we have atm is Nippon Superiors.
                    That said, Iron Man basically just had an Artifact miniVARG. For most of his history, you could run him as a Talent with a supered up suit. Inspired Science.
                    Thats what I was thinking, and it would be cool to have a timeline or setting focusing on people using supertech to say fight off some sort of invasion. A book on Artifacts and Supertech. And maybe some Z-Ray weirdness Artifacts that don't seem to fit with normal Physics.

Comment

In my opinion the answer is kind of no, but only do to a setting decision. With that being access to the upper power levels are because of inbuilt trait that makes people super powered. A Psion is first a Latent, which means they had the psychogenetic background.

So to my mind no, a ring or suit can't make a person nova like. You have the potential or you don't.

So for people like you mention I would place them as at minimum Talents so they have access to certain inspired traits.

As a note Nippon Superiors are basically latent Novas made into Superiors rather then Novas. The potential was still naturally theirs.

I'm not against inspired super tech, very much NOT against it, I just think thej r heights should only fully work for the inspired, of any and all categories.

I would LOVE a book of super items and artifacts and power enhanced sciences. LOVE it!
                      Last edited by LordHeru; 03-22-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

I'm not talking about about items that turn you into Psions or Novas, but equipment that when worn you are on their level, but when taken off you are normal.

Though Items do exist that can make people Nova's and Psions, they are the Prometheus Chambers and the Hammersmith Engine, and a you can have one off unique items that are similar, but those aren't really what I am talking about. Though the Mandarin is probably more a Psion then a Talent since he has weird Chi Powers and latent psychic powers from training and over exposure to his Rings.

Comment

I am 100% in agreement with LordHeru.
                          You can make some weird tech with the continuum core rules if you are Inspired, but baselines don't get Tier booting goodies from it and can't reverse engineer it either.

Granting new abilities through tech should either be reliant on an inannte ability, or purely come from said tech and goes away if you lose it. The later case is Artifacts; really weird/strong stuff is Powered Science, that requires Psi/Quantum/Corruption to work.

Which reminds me of more recent Iron Man storylines (Extremis, that weird alien origin).

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Well I was talking about inspired using supertech suits, though I can see baseline mooks also using lesser supertech.

But Baselines can reverse engineer things because the future has a lot of tech that essentially was derived from brilliant Talent'ed creators that can be reproduced all around the world.

Comment

Yeah I get that but no offense I don't consider that to be the path that the Trinity setting takes.

Trinity, including and especially Aberrant, is not a game about someone putting on a suit and getting power. It's about people with the power intrinsically. No item or totem or whatever is need to control flame, not if the character has the ability to control flame.

I'm fine with an Inspired creating super science - very fine with it - but nothing said inspired does with said super science is going to be radically more powerful then what he does with his own abilities.

So per the Aeon book, certain Nova inventions- even those mad 80 some years ago, are still beyond Psion understanding, let alone baseline. Thus reverse engineering isn't easy or simple even with 100 years of baseline progress.

By the way if I was to run say a game with say Batman or Iron Man I would make them Talents. If Iron Man then got Extremis I would then allow him to take certain Stalwart/Superior abilities to represent the boosted traits.

But the thing is both start at inspired level and are not baseline.
                              Last edited by LordHeru; 03-22-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X