No announcement yet.

How does Superscience work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well yes that is why I said it would be Talents putting on the suit...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      Well yes that is why I said it would be Talents putting on the suit...
      Haha sorry. Cause I had read that part after I had written most of my comment. So my bad.

I think the cool thing of the new nature of general core containing Talents and setting books on say Psion, Nova and others makes this so much easier to play around with then in old first edition days.

Like back in 1e if you said "hey let's play an iron man or Batman like game" well you had to go Aberrant. Which meant you got the weird issues of power levels.

Now, well, now play core, make then Talents and give them a cool suit. Bang. It all handled.

That all said I LOVE the idea of say a Nova supported society where certain super tech of theirs create a highly efficient and beautiful world. Like the baselines push a button or sing a song and the novatech activates and mines for resources or builds a building. So cool.

Comment

Hehe well I would actually make Tony Stark a Nova rather then a Talent to represent his insane levels of Brilliance, but say Rhodey filling in for him as Ironman or being Warmachine would be a Talent.

And with say Overwatch some would be be talents (like Mcree or D.Va) and some would be Novas (Roadhog, Winston as a Nova Gorilla).

So things would be interesting using Nova level Tech to modify Talents, which could work for Nippon since they were secretly using Nova tech for decades and they use Hardtech uppgrades on their agents.

We do need introductions for characters that are say Clones, or Genetic engineered subjects, or Androids. And beefier crunch for High level Cyborgs like say Genji or beings like DC's Cyborg.

Comment

Well I was talking about inspired using supertech suits, though I can see baseline mooks also using lesser supertech.

But Baselines can reverse engineer things because the future has a lot of tech that essentially was derived from brilliant Talent'ed creators that can be reproduced all around the world.
          Advanced Science can be done by baselines. But that is not capable of the kind power you're talking about.

That is clearly Nova levels of power.
          Last edited by FallenEco; 03-23-2018, 12:04 AM.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Advanced Science can be done by baselines. But that is not capable of the kind power you're talking about.
            I'm giving a lot of different examples. What I'm talking about here, depending on the timeframe in history, is Nova level science for an Ironmansuit. Advanced cyborgs, or lesser powered suits like batman tech could be replicated with Talented'ed science. In the Future of Aeon or even past that to the next era of Star Trek Level things get kicked up a notch and baselines can create advanced cyborgs and Talents may be able to create some of the Ironman suits.

Comment

I'm not sure if this was ever official, but there was talk that some 'Nova Tech' weren't actually tech at all, but rather a piece of 'permanently changed universe'. A nova imposed a sort of quantum template on a piece of 'tech' making it function in accordance to other laws of nature. Taken to the extreme a nova could make 'magic swords'. Just take a piece of metal, impose a 'this metal produces scorching heat without melting'-quantum template on it and presto.

Often this was meant to be subconsciously. The nova actually believed he had created a new piece of tech. The reason no other scientist would be able to duplicate it was simply because baseline scientist did not have the ability to create a piece of the universe where they could dictate the laws of nature to their whims.

A piece of tech like this could probably do all sorts of weird stuff. Thors hammer? Sure. But are they stable? And what happens when they break down? Taint for everyone?

Not to mention what they'd do to technological progress just by existing. They'd point to awesome solutions and physics that does not exist in the normal universe. Trying to back-engineer it would drive baseline scientists mad with frustration. 'Of course you can turn electrons into gravitons, that's what the krumpilator does'.
              Last edited by Gammelbraxen; 03-23-2018, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Interesting! That was how I figured on making magic work in the world, an Ascended (quantum?) being wills certain rules of the universe into existence.

So what about when multiple novas team up to make something?

Comment

Well, magicians were called Willworkers at times. Bending the universe with nothing but their will. That's pretty much exactly what a Nova does. He doesn't have to learn physics, he only have to want something to explode.

Seen in this light, Aeon Trinity is an exceedingly magical universe.

Comment

1e Aberrant made a point several times that Iron Man characters weren't really doable in the setting, and gave some strong arguments why not. However, there's no guarantee that that will still be true for TC:Aberrant. Especially with Talents being a thing in all eras, I can definitely see “miniVARGs” making an early appearance as one-off inventions created by Talents and further enhanced to let them hold their own against Novas.

Also, don't underestimate what Superscience can do, even without getting into the realm of Powered Superscience. In a 1e Adventure! game that I played in, the Storyteller pitted us against a group of thugs that had been operated on by a mad scientist, using only the rules for advancements; no Innovations. They damn near clobbered us. And our team included several combat-oriented Stalwarts. It was a combination of surgeries that maxed out their attributes and equipping them with firearms that were in truth miniaturized tank cannons and the like.

Comment

Wait really they Said Novas wasn't really compatible for making Ironman? What were the reasons given?

Comment

Remember, in 1e there were no Talents in Aberrant. As such, allowing Iron Man pretty much equalled allowing a baseline human to figure out how to build the suit — which carried implications of mass production and similar world-changing potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          Remember, in 1e there were no Talents in Aberrant. As such, allowing Iron Man pretty much equalled allowing a baseline human to figure out how to build the suit — which carried implications of mass production and similar world-changing potential.
                          But I mean Tony Stark would be a Nova, his brilliance is superhuman, hence why he could build the suit.

Comment

Wait really they Said Novas wasn't really compatible for making Ironman? What were the reasons given?
                            Arbitrary ones. 1e Aberrant had a lot of statements of “no you can’t have X” for no real reason.

Comment

I don't think it's entirely arbitrary. Aberrant isn't a toolkit game it has an actual thene and point. One aspect of this is what a Nova looks like and how their powers function.

Both Batman and Iron Man are mechanically speaking rich men in awesome suits. Their smart yes but not superhuman smart. They don't have quanum powers.

So saying you can't play them makes sense to me. Not when the point is to play a Nova.

Thankfully the issue is basically solved in 2e - both figures are Talents.

By the way I love Iron Man,so I'm totally not disparaging there characters or ow awesome they are. I just don't think their Novas.

Comment

Thing is Ironman's brainpower would need Nova level Intellect to work. In his Universe some humans can achieve that naturally, but it doesn't change the fact that his brain power naturally is comparable to those who achieved mental brilliance through superhuman means (like the Leader, Sage, and Forge). So he would literally be a Nova with just Mega Intellect, and the rest of him is Talent material.

Comment

Working...
                                X