No announcement yet.

How does Superscience work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you just leave him as a Talent and give him a gift that boosts his intelligence upward. Maybe with other gifts that are a but Mesmerist in make up.

It's more rewarding them making him a Nova with one ability and then just bank his nearly 30 nova points.

I'm sorry but I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
      Or you just leave him as a Talent and give him a gift that boosts his intelligence upward. Maybe with other gifts that are a but Mesmerist in make up.

It's more rewarding them making him a Nova with one ability and then just bank his nearly 30 nova points.

I'm sorry but I don't see it.
      Thing is Most Superheroes don't constantly beef up and gain various infinite powers. Cyclops has a Really good Optic Blast, has superhuman spatial relations, and the rest are his skills as a leader, pilot, and combatant.

I am not the best with the systems as I am just learning 2nd ed which doesn't even have Aberrant yet, but you are telling me he can't just dumb his Nova points into Mega Mental Attributes, a touch of Mega Charisma, and if he is still improving some sort of tech power?

Does Aberrant not support Superheroes who are good at just one thing? You can't make a Hulk with all your nova points dumbed into Strength and stamina?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

They do but with that one thing being a power that has a number of features mechanically. The optic blast you talk about multiple powers can be bought to represent elements of it.

The thing is with but a point the Nova can have 5 dots in basically all mundane abilities. Then they buy multiple mega attributes to enhance it further.

So while you can do to the points available most spread out a bit more.

As a note the Hulk, multiple different powers, not just one. He could also be started up in numerous ways.

Comment

It sounds to me then it is odd if you can't create a character that concentrates on Mega-Intelligence and Cunning and whatever the power name for charisma is, as the dump for your free points and then spend all your normal exp on Edges and skill tricks. Or even work out some method to convert Nova points into Edges. Because Ironman has an insane amount of artifacts, even with the enhanced armory edge.

And if you are going to be playing Ironman rather then having him as an NPC then you won't feel limited on what to get him, just dump into technomancy powers, he had those for a while with Extremis and Superior Ironman.

Are mega-attributes so cheap you can't just invest in three of them without overflowing in early to mid levels?

And you don't have to be powergamery all the time, yeah its not as flashing getting attributes, skills, edges, and skill tricks but if you have a concept in mind then you are playing that role. It ruins it if people bring D N D ascetics of min maxing and optimal builds. And that kind of spirit would eliminate the fun in a crossover.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            But I mean Tony Stark would be a Nova, his brilliance is superhuman, hence why he could build the suit.
            To my mind, Stark would be Nova-level who channels most of his power through intellect and technology. The Iron Man suits would be Powered Science, which is why they’re almost always a step beyond other suits he builds, such as the War Machine armour. War Machine would be Inspired Science, able to be used by anyone, but impossible to reverse engineer by anyone except other Inspired types. Hence why various governments/rivals have so much trouble recreating the Stark tech, or do so in a significantly less efficient form.

As Stark constantly tinkers and makes new (Iron Man) suits, you start to see examples across the range. He builds his bleeding-edge Powered Science suits, figures out how to make (some/most of) the tech usable by others and pulls together a bunch of Inspired Science suits, and sometimes manufactures standalone subsystems for release as Advanced Science.

This ties into the sidebar on genre as well, which mentions how super items from one era might be mundane in another. As Stark builds more and more armour, as a side effect he progresses the genre expectations, which means over time more of his tech can find its way into lower level use. Eventually, he will be able to build (or provide designs for others to build) power armour variations that baselines can use.

That’s my opinion on it, anyway.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Thanks for the input! That is along the lines of what I was hoping!

I was a bit confused onto the nature of Nova Tech, and that clears things up if Powered Science is something that only the Nova can use.

Actually I wish the Comics and movies did more to make Tony Stark unique, like make his suit require a brilliant lightning fast computer brain to operate, rather then how it is where anyone can be handed a suit but he just never bothers really to hand suits to anyone besides his best friends.

Comment

That a a pretty interesting way to go about it that still feels like a Nova.

It's different from what I'm used to and so it requires me to think more on it. But it sounds fun.

I could see him having Mega-Mental and maybe Mega-Social attributes with numerous low key but powerful enhancements enhancing his social work and technology design.

I could see that maybe the reason he aurbuves Extremis is because he is a nova, which then let's him take numerous other powers as well.

That said, even though I do find the potential cool, I think him as a Stalwart might work better. Just my thoughts though.

By the way this is brilluant

As Stark builds more and more armour, as a side effect he progresses the genre expectations, which means over time more of his tech can find its way into lower level use. Eventually, he will be able to build (or provide designs for others to build) power armour variations that baselines can use.
                Also this makes a lot more sense if they did it thus way.

Actually I wish the Comics and movies did more to make Tony Stark unique, like make his suit require a brilliant lightning fast computer brain to operate, rather then how it is where anyone can be handed a suit but he just never bothers really to hand suits to anyone besides his best friends.
                They kind of half say it that in the movies but then back peddle a bit.

Though him making multiple AI so makes sense as him being Inspired.

//

I think part of the 1e problem is they didn't know where they wanted to go with things at the time. So novatech is totally given multiple half answers.

0ersonally in my Aberrant game im gping to ignore the Aeon future amd allow my nova players to go aid if they wanted to.
                Last edited by LordHeru; 03-24-2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Aberrant 1e included a sidebar about “stealth Novas”: Novas who have no Quantum Powers, a handful of dots in Mega-Attributes, and some Enhancements. To my mind, that sounds a lot like a Stalwart.

Comment

I'm reminded of Modular Man from the Wild Cards series. The creator of the android was an Ace whose only power was to create the android.

Comment

Working...
                    X