Trying to come up with an Immortality power, looking for advice on costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to come up with an Immortality power, looking for advice on costs

I'm about to start a campaign where we're going to use the Aberrant system but a very different setting, and I was considering creating an immortal-ish character. The main reason I'm doing this is because I won't be able to regularly attend the sessions, so I figured having a character that can die and come back would make for a great reason why I just disappear for a bit. He's more of a support character than anything else, and I have the storyteller's approval which is the most important part of this.

Now, the power isn't as simple as him just never being able to die and I can ignore all consequences for my actions. Instead what happens is that when the character dies, an alternate version of him will reappear in the world. Just think of it as there being infinite parallel universes and each time he dies one of those other versions replaces him in the main universe. Each time it happens the new version will be slightly different, and the more it happens the more different the new one will be. For example, for his first few deaths he'll just change minor physical attributes like eye color, hair color, slight height difference, etc... After a few more it might be personality changes or history changes, maybe even resulting in some dots being moved around on the character sheet. More deaths will result in progressively more different characters, including gender changes or ethnicity changes.

We discussed it a bit and the storyteller seems willing to go along with the idea that he won't remember the death but will remember the general events leading up to it, but I don't get to make the call on how much is remembered or where the new one reappears. The new version will have a history of their own that won't 100% sync with the original or previous versions, and we're still hashing that bit out. I'm trying to suggest that the universe will fix that paradox by smoothing things out, an example would be if a married version dies and is replaced by a single one their spouse will have decided to leave them and both will quickly forget who each other are. Again, that's still being figured out.

Still, not sure how it should be priced. I was originally thinking it could be an expensive merit but the storyteller thinks that buying it as a power makes more sense, yet I just don't know how having levels would affect it. I figured people here might have some ideas on how to create a cost or level system to it. Thanks in advance.

It seems more like a mechanics-less story conceit to me, but I'm that way.

Comment

I really only wanted it because it sounded cool, would be fun to role-play, and explain how I can be gone for large chunks of time. The storyteller considers it a power because if I die in combat I can eventually return, which is something the other players won't be able to do. I was trying to get him to agree to it being a merit instead of a power, but I think he's set on pricing it that way even though he really likes the idea and already has plans on killing me multiple times for story purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrtwist View Post
        I really only wanted it because it sounded cool, would be fun to role-play, and explain how I can be gone for large chunks of time. The storyteller considers it a power because if I die in combat I can eventually return, which is something the other players won't be able to do. I was trying to get him to agree to it being a merit instead of a power, but I think he's set on pricing it that way even though he really likes the idea and already has plans on killing me multiple times for story purposes.

Isn't this "just" Dramatic editing?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Isn't this "just" Dramatic editing?

I figured out the issue. I thought the storyteller was in agreement with me on it, but he was working off a slightly different premise. He thought I wanted some control over it and for it to be faster, so making it a power was to reflect that control, To be honest, I kind of like it that way the more I think of it. I think we might go with a default duration, or time until reappearance, as just story driven. Then the power rating will be the dice I can roll to "respawn" sooner. Not sure what we'll do to determine how fast he can come back, though I'm guessing there's probably some duration chart we can come up with or find to use and maybe some kind of range chart so I can come back closer. Not sure what level of a power it would be though to reflect cost.

Hopefully that made sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrtwist View Post

I figured out the issue. I thought the storyteller was in agreement with me on it, but he was working off a slightly different premise. He thought I wanted some control over it and for it to be faster, so making it a power was to reflect that control, To be honest, I kind of like it that way the more I think of it. I think we might go with a default duration, or time until reappearance, as just story driven. Then the power rating will be the dice I can roll to "respawn" sooner. Not sure what we'll do to determine how fast he can come back, though I'm guessing there's probably some duration chart we can come up with or find to use and maybe some kind of range chart so I can come back closer. Not sure what level of a power it would be though to reflect cost.

Hopefully that made sense.

Death Defiance in Adventure is a Heroic Knack that lets you spend wp for Dramatic editing and requires you stay dead for at least a scene. Maybe some sort of WP per amount of control with zero being "pure ST fiat" and maybe 3 or 4 for something completely plot breaking?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Death Defiance in Adventure is a Heroic Knack that lets you spend wp for Dramatic editing and requires you stay dead for at least a scene. Maybe some sort of WP per amount of control with zero being "pure ST fiat" and maybe 3 or 4 for something completely plot breaking?

Thanks. Not sure if the group has that book so I'll have to get it.

Comment

Working...
              X