No announcement yet.

Did the Z-Rays ever amount to anything?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Z-Rays ever amount to anything?

I missed out on Adventure so I am a bit uninformed. So Z-Rays warped reality in lil pockets creating things like Villages with Vampires, Aliens, Agharta and the Hallow Earth but it faded... that seems kind of sad and almost pointless...

So besides being wacky memories and experiences for the Aeon Society did Z-Rays have any sort of Legacy? I mean what is the point of all these cool things appearing but then they disappear...

It is a time for great deeds!

My headcanon is those elements didn’t cease to exist. They continued in a separate timeline. Basically the Hammersmith event caused dimensional overlap.

One of my pet separate timeline settings continues those Pulp elements going forward in time for the Inspired to discover a Planetary Romance based Solar System that the major powers compete to explore by the 1950s.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

If you want to experiment with some earlier pulp too, it’s possible the Hammersmith event echoes in both directions in time - so such weird phenomena and Inspirations are gradually rising through the end of the 19th Century, and only peaking when the Hammersmith experiment occurs, and then slowly declining until (ripping off Carnival here) the first man made atomic explosion marks the last of that era’s tapering wave of Psychomorph and Eximorph Inspirations (Talents always show up, even if in smaller numbers in different eras).

Comment

Ohh I like that Mirrored weirdness of the Hammersmith event effecting the past!

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          My headcanon is those elements didn’t cease to exist. They continued in a separate timeline. Basically the Hammersmith event caused dimensional overlap.
          I am not so sure that that is headcanon vs canon. That Talent manipulation of Flux functions like such. the Hammersmith Experiment was one of the larger explosions of Flux thus the dimentional connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I am not so sure that that is headcanon vs canon. That Talent manipulation of Flux functions like such. the Hammersmith Experiment was one of the larger explosions of Flux thus the dimentional connections.

Yes it may indeed be 2E canon, but the details of the Inspiration Age have not been printed yet, so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
              I missed out on Adventure so I am a bit uninformed. So Z-Rays warped reality in lil pockets creating things like Villages with Vampires, Aliens, Agharta and the Hallow Earth but it faded... that seems kind of sad and almost pointless...

So besides being wacky memories and experiences for the Aeon Society did Z-Rays have any sort of Legacy? I mean what is the point of all these cool things appearing but then they disappear...
              A quick note: Z-Rays were never an actual thing. It was the term used in the early days that Adventure! covers to describe the concepts that would eventually come to be known as Flux, Psi, and Quantum/Taint.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

A quick note: Z-Rays were never an actual thing. It was the term used in the early days that Adventure! covers to describe the concepts that would eventually come to be known as Flux, Psi, and Quantum/Taint.
                So I only kind of know of Quantum/Taint creating mutations. What would Psi/Taint be? I'm assuming most what I mentioned count as Flux/Taint when other universes overlap and create a Hallow Earth or Argartha?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Z-waves are the name given to the undifferentiated energies discovered in a time that couldn't really see that it really wasn't singular but rather a composite of both Quantum and Psi.

Honestly it's the same thing with Inspiration and the Inspired. When you look at it from a distance there is one energy and three groups but the narrower you get the more you realize there are tweo main groups - Quantum and Psi - and something else. Which didn't really have a name in the old version but is now called Flux and is the energy of the dimensional barriers.

BTW I always liked the whole analogy of Inspiration being the shallows and Quantum/Psi being the deep end.

Of course as we all know concepts in the new edition are subject to change.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                    So I only kind of know of Quantum/Taint creating mutations. What would Psi/Taint be? I'm assuming most what I mentioned count as Flux/Taint when other universes overlap and create a Hallow Earth or Argartha?
                    Taint is specific to eximorphs; it's a sort of “flip side of Quantum” that's harmful rather than helpful. As such, there's no such thing as Psi/Taint or Flux/Taint.

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that Z-waves are the name given to the undifferentiated energies discovered in a time that couldn't really see that it really wasn't singular but rather a composite of both Quantum and Psi.
                    The energies weren't undifferentiated; only the Adventure!-era understanding of them was. Likewise, Z-Waves weren't a composite of Quantum and Psi; it's just that the scientists at the time didn't realize that Quantum and Psi were different things, or that Flux even was a thing. Heck, that latter point is something that's generally not understood even two centuries later.

Honestly it's the same thing with Inspiration and the Inspired. When you look at it from a distance there is one energy and three groups but the narrower you get the more you realize there are two main groups - Quantum and Psi - and something else. Which didn't really have a name in the old version but is now called Flux and is the energy of the dimensional barriers.
                    Exactly. And it's literally the same thing; mesmerists are distinct from stalwarts (and stalwarts from daredevils) because mesmerists are empowered by Psi, stalwarts by Quantum, and daredevils by Flux. It's just that at that point in the timeline, nobody just how fundamental the differences are.

BTW I always liked the whole analogy of Inspiration being the shallows and Quantum/Psi being the deep end.
                    I don't know what TC: Adventure! is going too do; but as things stand, “Inspiration” is being used as a synonym for Flux energies. See the Talents in the TC core.

Of course as we all know concepts in the new edition are subject to change.
                    Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

The energies weren't undifferentiated; only the Adventure!-era understanding of them was. Likewise, Z-Waves weren't a composite of Quantum and Psi; it's just that the scientists at the time didn't realize that Quantum and Psi were different things, or that Flux even was a thing. Heck, that latter point is something that's generally not understood even two centuries later.
                      This. Hehe

This was exactly what I was trying to say. They looked at it and thought they saw something singular but couldn't, didn't, realize it wasn't singular but multifaceted.

They named the thing they saw Z-rays and Telluric Energies. Though they weren't wrong, as an energy did exist, it just wasn't a complete theory.

Which is something I like because it leads to the more complete, though not totally complete, views given in Aberrant and Aeon.

I don't know what TC: Adventure! is going too do; but as things stand, “Inspiration” is being used as a synonym for Flux energies. See the Talents in the TC core.
                      Obviously things might change but I didn't read that as being ony applied to Talents, more that Talents were the only form of said inspired we had yet.

Mostly because Talents are obviously renamed and modified Daredevils which are similar to Stalwarts and Mesmerists.

I think this is another looking at the forest but once we narrow it down to the trees we will see it's more complex.

Which I think is totally awesome.

As an aside I really like the core book plus expansion book method they went with. Especially their placing Talents in the core, its so cool and basically says "talents belong everywhere" which to me indicates why thst workd is close but slightly different from ours.

Comment

So did anyone get anything out of the decades of crazy? Did all artifacts disappear? Did anybody learn anything concrete? Or was it all just crazy wacky years that you survive but did not get anything out of besides ordeals to triumph against? It may be interesting to say some things lingered.

Comment

Problem was in the previous edition that the world was supposed to be effectively identical to our own before N-Day (except for the Aeon Society existing, Mal being somewhere in the shadows, etc), so the effects of the Inspiration Age needed to be self-contained. But 2e doesn't have that issue, as Trinity Core also presents a modern setting where there's weirdness and adventure going on, so the Inspiration Age can potentially have bigger continuous effects.

Comment

Interesting so I could indeed keep a few secret otherworldly Domains hidden in the Jungles and beneath the Earth...

Could it be fair to say only most of the weirdness retreated but I could steal keep say the Moleman and his army of Moloids, and otherworldly artifacts that don't conform to physics?

Comment

Otherworldly artifacts that don't conform to physics are definitely a part of the Trinity Core setting. Moleman and his army of Moloids in the Trinity Core era would be pushing things genre-wise for my own tastes,but that's just me, it's certainly not impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X