Talented Baselines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talented Baselines

Back in the Trinity Universe, there was something of a conflict among the developers as to the nature of daredevils. Bruce Baugh argued that daredevils were paramorphs, a third type of enhanced humanity that used subconscious probability manipulation to achieve feats of heroic action and unlikely coincidence. Meanwhile, Andrew Bates argued that daredevils were “merely” exceptionally talented and fortunate people whose luck was just a genre convention, not an in-setting power; and that there was exactly one paramorph in the game, the “unstuck in time” Max Mercer.

I admit to having a fondness for Andrews interpretation, and was hoping that Trinity Continuum would support it. They didn't. So Im providing this hack as a way of integrating the notion that daredevils are “talented baselines”, and not paramorphs.

That said, I'm backing off somewhat from the notion that the coincidences and lucky breaks that daredeils are surrounded by are just a genre convention. I'll stick with TC's notion of cross-time Flux being the source of the lucky breaks and related phenomena. The main change I'm making is that the subconscious manipulation of Flux isn't the realm of the paramorph, but rather something that anyone can do — although in general, only heroic and villainous types tap into that potential. In this hack, there are no Talents; instead, baseline characters have access to the abilities currently restricted to Talents.

There is no Inspiration trait, and no Facets — although your choice of “favored Approach” plays a similar role. Dramatic Editing is something done using Momentum, meaning that it isn't restricted by one's choice of Template (or lack thereof) but rather by one's role in the game: protagonists and similarly important characters have access to Momentum (and thus Dramatic Editing) while bit players and the like don't. I'm debating what to do about Gifts right now; either they're still a thing, or they get converted into Skill Tricks or Edges as appropriate.

Another thing I'm debating is the inclusion of a “Momentum surcharge” for enhanced humans using abilities formerly the sole province of Talents: if you want a psion or Nova to engage in Dramatic Editing or to acquire and use a Gift, you can; but it will cost you more Momentum to do so. And you don't get to use Psi, Quantum, Taint, or whatever else to pay for these abilities.

That's the basics of the idea here: Momentum instead of Inspiration, with a higher cost for those who have their own powers to rely on. I'll post more later; I just wanted to get the basics out there for now.

Thoughts?

As I'm firmly in the Bruce Baugh camp of paramorphs being a third group I wouldn't really use this.

BUT at the same time the idea you present is intriguing, especially as part of say a core book only campaign in a world different from the base setting.

I also like, in such a setting, the idea of dramatic editing being something any human with these talents could do.

So yeah, I think it's nifty from a game mechanics sense, though I would never use it in the actual Trinity setting.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
      As I'm firmly in the Bruce Baugh camp of paramorphs being a third group I wouldn't really use this.
      Oh, the paramorph is very definitely a third type, even with this hack. The difference is that daredevils arent paramorphs.

BUT at the same time the idea you present is intriguing, especially as part of say a core book only campaign in a world different from the base setting.
      How different would it have to be?

I also like, in such a setting, the idea of dramatic editing being something any human with these talents could do.

So yeah, I think it's nifty from a game mechanics sense, though I would never use it in the actual Trinity setting.
      Fair enough; not every hack is for everyone, and this one is specifically intended to appeal to the “opposite camp” from the one youre in.

Comment

My head canon was always sort of hybrid at least in the old timeline. Everyone was potentially a Daredevil it just needed a high amount of Z-rays/Flux for them to be able to do it(also humanity was the Lucky race because of this)

Comment

Is this where I point out that I was complaining about the "-morph" terminology the other day and Bruce said he didn't really like it either?

Comment

If Talents aren't a special third group then what is stopping say a Psion or Aberrant from also becoming a Daredevil?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
              If Talents aren't a special third group then what is stopping say a Psion or Aberrant from also becoming a Daredevil?

The fact that Daredevils/Talents are under this model a complete abstraction and not a distinct thing in-setting.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Psions and Aberrants aren't quite human anymore — Aberrants moreso than psions, but it applies to both. If you really want to say that they can't engage in Dramatic Editing, just say that their connection to Psi or Quantum hinders their ability to manipulate Flux. That can either justify the Momentum surcharge that I've been considering or an outright ban. I don't see the need to be quite that harsh (there's a place in both the superhero and sci-fi genres for serendipity); but that's me.

Comment

Yeah I assume Flux is incompatible with quantum and psi. But the fact Daredevils is a meta thing is consequential. I'm saying if Daredevils don't harness flux and are just super talented and a little lucky then being a Nova or Psion they could look at Talent Batman and think I'm smart and can do backflips so if I trained I should be able to achieve anything Talent Batman can achieve.

Comment

Yeah I assume Flux is incompatible with quantum and psi. But the fact Daredevils is a meta thing is consequential. I'm saying if Daredevils don't harness flux and are just super talented and a little lucky then being a Nova or Psion they could look at Talent Batman and think I'm smart and can do backflips so if I trained I should be able to achieve anything Talent Batman can achieve.

The same thing that stops any of the superpowered Justice Leaguers from doing that? Theoretically nothing, but their awesomeness is already played out in their powers, they don't need the additional narrative contrivances Batman does so they don't get them.

Comment

I'm just saying in story reasons for NPCs and PCs alike rather then players.

Comment

I'm just saying in story reasons for NPCs and PCs alike rather then players.
                        ... again... the fact that they're not a thing in setting. Psions and Novas can't choose to use Dramatic Editing or Gifts because Dramatic Editing and Gifts doesn't exist in-setting in this interpretation. They're just a mechanical abstraction to represent a baseline being lucky/brilliant/etc enough to hold their own with super-beings.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

... again... the fact that they're not a thing in setting. Psions and Novas can't choose to use Dramatic Editing or Gifts because Dramatic Editing and Gifts doesn't exist in-setting in this interpretation. They're just a mechanical abstraction to represent a baseline being lucky/brilliant/etc enough to hold their own with super-beings.
                          Well that is what I am saying. Since its not a thing what is stopping someone from wanting to try to equal someone that is a Talent.

Comment

Technically, if you're saying that daredevils don't harness Flux, you're not talking about this hack. But let's go with that for the sake of argument: if you're going with the notion that daredevils are lucky because the genre conventions say that they're lucky, then why are you expecting an in-story (i.e., less meta) explanation for why superhumans aren't as lucky? They aren't as lucky as the daredevils because the genre conventions say that they're not as lucky.

As for training, psions and Aberrants tend to put their points into their powers, not their skills and paths. The psion isn't going to be the same kind of world-class martial artist as Batman because she's devoted much of her time developing her Psi instead.

But again, this hack does not say that daredevils don't have access to Flux. It says that baselines do.
                            Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-22-2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

The fact that Daredevils/Talents are under this model a complete abstraction and not a distinct thing in-setting.
                              Again I feel the need to say this.

Daredevils ARE NOT Talents! Talents are Daredevil+ based on what we have been told by the Devs.
                              This may change but my understanding is Talents are to Daredevils, what Mesmercists are to Psiads.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                              X