Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Quoting myself from the Aeon preview spoiler thread:
    Yeah I figured that. But if they are roughly equivalent and close in power levels then for now me putting them with Stalwarts make sense.

I mean in the future I might, in the idea of my chart, give them there own parallel space next to Stalwart, like how Psiad nd Psion lie next to each other.

But as I don't know their individual powers and can't compare them to the Stalwart powers it's difficult.

That said, honestly, I'm glad they will have differences. I'm happy with that. Especially as it means when Adventure! comes out it will still be able to have its own things.

Comment

I also wonder if Mesmerists and Psiads might in fact be the same thing under different names, or else might be related in roughly the same way as Stalwarts and Superiors (that is, roughly the same level of capability as each other, just manifesting in slightly different ways).

That is, I would not be inclined to put Psiads and Psions next to each other: I'm pretty sure that Psiads are significantly weaker than Psions.
      Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
        I also wonder if Mesmerists and Psiads might in fact be the same thing under different names, or else might be related in roughly the same way as Stalwarts and Superiors (that is, roughly the same level of capability as each other, just manifesting in slightly different ways).

That is, I would not be inclined to put Psiads and Psions next to each other: I'm pretty sure that Psiads are significantly weaker than Psions.
        They trade off the heights of power for flexibility with the Aptitudes. Given what combining Aptitudes can do, that does give them access to things Psions can’t do alone. I think they’re supposed to roughly balance to the same degree Psions and Talents do.

If Psiad does = Mesmerist, then what [spoiler] presumably blew past with the Hammersmith event was the Mode caps - so they had the flexibility of a Psiad with the growth potential of a Psion until [spoiler] turned them into a [spoiler]

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

With all due respect I just don't get how the idea of Mesmerists equaling Psiad came about.

Especially considering how the Aberrant Players Guide and other source materials talk about Psiads as naturally formed noetic users of Psion tier power.

I honestly don't get it.

Comment

As I envisage them at the moment, Mesmerists are a ‘step’ down from psiads. (Deliberately not using the term ‘tier’ to avoid confusion with the game term.)

Thanks to the Hammersmith Event, Mesmerists were the first along the journey to psionic evolution, but lack the breadth and depth of those who would (eventually) follow them. Specific powers from within Modes within Aptitudes rather than having access to entire Modes or Aptitudes. Without interference, this evolutionary path would eventually grow into psiads.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Fair enough — though I wonder if psiads have “access to entire Modes” either; their 1e incarnation lacked the depth that psions could achieve.

But my main question right now is whether the current plan (such as there is one) is for mesmerists to have Inspiration rather than Psi. The system differences would be two-fold: Inspiration has its Facets, and Inspiration (as a fuel) is earned in a manner and rate different from Psi. And the conceptual difference would pretty much require TC:Adventure! to expand the definition that TC core gives for it.

Comment

But we won't be seeing Mesmerists till Adventure! So them using an expanded Inspiration would be fine I would think.

Psiads, though, which we awesomely gained as part of the kickstarter, will probably use Psi and Aptitudes, and Modes. At least I figure they will since why rewrite the wheel.

I just hope they are able to stretch out a bit more than the ones in Aberrant.
                Last edited by LordHeru; 03-23-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                  As I envisage them at the moment, Mesmerists are a ‘step’ down from psiads. (Deliberately not using the term ‘tier’ to avoid confusion with the game term.)

Thanks to the Hammersmith Event, Mesmerists were the first along the journey to psionic evolution, but lack the breadth and depth of those who would (eventually) follow them. Specific powers from within Modes within Aptitudes rather than having access to entire Modes or Aptitudes. Without interference, this evolutionary path would eventually grow into psiads.
                  What I'm left wondering then, is if all Adventure! era character types are roughly equal from a mechanics standpoint, and Talents and Psions are roughly equal from a mechanics standpoint (it doesn't look like that in setting, but that's because Dramatic Editing isn't perceivable in-setting) - does that mean Talent player characters have to also be taken down a notch in the Adventure! era? Because that doesn't seem right...

Of course I had the hypothesis earlier as I mentioned on rpg.net, that it could mechanically balance out by having Adventure! Era Mesmerists and Stalwarts have weaker overt powers than their Aeon Era counterparts, but get to share in Dramatic Editing too (which they get to do in 1E Adventure!, IIRC)

Also if there are Psiads between Mesmerists and Psions, does that imply there's also room for more powerful naturally occurring Eximorphs between Stalwarts and Superiors, before you get to full-on Novas?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Yeah but we don't have a full grasp of Psiads yet, their flexibility may mean they are equal to Psions, or their could be enhanced state Psiads. Or Psiads are the enhanced state with Mesmerist class being the unenhanced natural form.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                    X