Non UN/PU countries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non UN/PU countries

Is there any list of countries that are holding out on participating in Project Utopia during the esrly years of the Aberrant timeline?

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

I don’t recall a list. I do remember in 1E Iran was noted as possibly the most anti-Nova nation on the planet. Though that was part of a very binary view of Sunni and Shi’a Islam that 1E took that an hope 2 E gives more nuance.

Just thinking, 1E had the removal of a Macedonian dictator as Team Tomorrow’s first big foray in the world stage. That was obviously referencing the then-timely Balkan conflicts. I wonder what 2E will do instead (Team Tomorrow takes out ISIS and negotiates a peaceful Syria settlement? Team Tomorrow with Chinese backing neutralizes North Korea’s arsenal before the regime can wield against rogue Novas?)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      I don’t recall a list. I do remember in 1E Iran was noted as possibly the most anti-Nova nation on the planet. Though that was part of a very binary view of Sunni and Shi’a Islam that 1E took that an hope 2 E gives more nuance.

Just thinking, 1E had the removal of a Macedonian dictator as Team Tomorrow’s first big foray in the world stage. That was obviously referencing the then-timely Balkan conflicts. I wonder what 2E will do instead (Team Tomorrow takes out ISIS and negotiates a peaceful Syria settlement? Team Tomorrow with Chinese backing neutralizes North Korea’s arsenal before the regime can wield against rogue Novas?)
      Removes a corrupt impeached president of a western democratic state who tries to stage a coup.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Removes a corrupt impeached president of a western democratic state who tries to stage a coup.
        That would brighten up the world and create Hope again.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

That would brighten up the world and create Hope again.

Jeez - however they choose to address it, Aberrant 2E will have to account for Trump in some way.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Originally posted by CapitanTypo View Post

Jeez - however they choose to address it, Aberrant 2E will have to account for Trump in some way.
            Yeah they will.

Especially as he is the President when the Novas appear. You can't hide that fact.

Suddenly, in 2018, now, today, on this very Friday, a space station explodes and hundreds of Novas begin appearing around the world. What does he, his government, the US, do in that. How does it effect mid term elections in November.

How does it effect the British EU withdrawal. Or the issues in Russia. Or hose of North Korea. Or the issues of trade.

It is in this social and political situation that the Novas appear. A far different period then 1998 when the Galatea Explosion happened in a could have been universe.

It's interesting.

It so bothers mne a bit as well. I wish either the Galtea happened a few years ago or a few years from now. Not right now.

Because seriously if people, with the situation going on now, suddenly gained nova powers changes would come. A lot of them.

Here is the thing. I'd rather not focus on it. Not really. But it changes things. It effects things.

Because Aberrant, though a near future setting, starts now!
            Last edited by LordHeru; 03-23-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Why would they have to address Trump? I don’t recall Bill Clinton being mentioned in Abby.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetstream View Post
                Why would they have to address Trump? I don’t recall Bill Clinton being mentioned in Abby.
                Nod. Nod.

Your quite right. I looked it up, with the exception of President Carter opening up the clinic no mention of a real President is there.

Though, I do think this is kind of a bit different. But yeah, your right, they didn't cover it.

Comment

Because his election has marked a much more drastic cultural shift than Bill Clinton's, and in many cases are tied up with issues that are directly on theme for Aberrant (social media, selective truth via cherry picking ones media, cult of celebrity, jingoistic fear of the other, etc)

This is not to say he should be addressed explicitly - but the crumbling of the post-WW2 Western liberal world order to nativism, and the ability of a reality tv star to be elected President with zero public service of any kind, are definitely things worth incorporating into the fabric of the setting.

Comment

This goes to a broader issue of course about how the 1E setting politics reflects commentary on the post-Cold War, pre-9/11 liberal western world order (what George H Bush called "the new world order" to the terror of right-wing conspiracy theorists). Today we are seeing that world order crumble. The ascent of Project Utopia would no longer appear as a progression of our current politics, but a full on reversal. It will be very interesting to see how 2E plays with that, or if it acknowledges it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                      This goes to a broader issue of course about how the 1E setting politics reflects commentary on the post-Cold War, pre-9/11 liberal western world order (what George H Bush called "the new world order" to the terror of right-wing conspiracy theorists). Today we are seeing that world order crumble. The ascent of Project Utopia would no longer appear as a progression of our current politics, but a full on reversal. It will be very interesting to see how 2E plays with that, or if it acknowledges it at all.
                      In the style of comic books though they could use fictional politicians, like Senator Kelly with the X-Men.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        In the style of comic books though they could use fictional politicians, like Senator Kelly with the X-Men.

Yeah, but I was referring to the how the politics of the setting as a whole will be different in 2E - yes for future office holders, I'm sure they'll use fictional politicians just like last time, maybe with some thinly veiled expies.

Comment

Without an organization like the Aeon Society working in the background creating Project Utopia things I think seem more volatile now then two decades ago. They would need to put legwork on how the Nova era would last multiple decades without things going Crazytownbananapants.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

They won't necessarily have to address trump by name or as a specific person, but they will have to address the reality that Trump represents for American politics and society. Bill Clinton, or a fictionalised version of the US president wasn't really necessary in 1E because while the sex scandal was an issue, his presidency overall was much more 'business as usual' politics. He was a democratic president doing democratic party presidential stuff. Trump - like 9/11 - represents a cultural shift that affects society more broadly than just a single person or event.

Similarly, what is the 2E dev team going to do about the fact that the Chinese president has been written into their constitution as effectively tyrant for life? If N-Day happened today, it would happen at a time when China is using their own perverted Windows Experience Index to decide who gets access to transport and housing based on their online behaviour and shopping habits, and whose government have made a policy that the next reincarnation of the Dalai Lama must have chinese government endorsement.

The issue of climate change is also going to be an interesting thing to deal with - not because the idea that 'Novas fix climate change' isn't just as viable a background point as it was 20 years ago, but today we have a global trend among conservative politicians in many countries who seem willing to go to war to defend the businesses whose main profit generating activity is a driving force behind climate change - and the pubic is much better informed than they were 20 years ago (remember, in the mid 90s it was still talked about as 'global warming' and the full scale of the effect wasn't really well understood.

The world we live in today is a much darker place, and on a much more evident downward trajectory, than in the late-90s - and the dev team are going to have to work a lot harder to justify arriving at a place similar in style and tone to the 1E setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              Without an organization like the Aeon Society working in the background creating Project Utopia things I think seem more volatile now then two decades ago. They would need to put legwork on how the Nova era would last multiple decades without things going Crazytownbananapants.
                              Sans AEON I can see them trying to form a coalition dedicated to filtering the mass-media and exploiting social media to push their nova/baseline integration agenda, but you can only go so far with a propaganda flood if the novas see it for what it is. Especially without Proteus to clean up their messes and hide their mistakes.

Some mega-intelligent nova is going to have a real problem with the concepts of "alternative facts" or "fake news", I can see one of em having a taint-related psychosis that has them systematically punish anyone who even USES those terms.

Comment

Working...
                              X