Non UN/PU countries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post

Some mega-intelligent nova is going to have a real problem with the concepts of "alternative facts" or "fake news", I can see one of em having a taint-related psychosis that has them systematically punish anyone who even USES those terms.
    That's called having a conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post

Sans AEON I can see them trying to form a coalition dedicated to filtering the mass-media and exploiting social media to push their nova/baseline integration agenda, but you can only go so far with a propaganda flood if the novas see it for what it is. Especially without Proteus to clean up their messes and hide their mistakes.

Some mega-intelligent nova is going to have a real problem with the concepts of "alternative facts" or "fake news", I can see one of em having a taint-related psychosis that has them systematically punish anyone who even USES those terms.

It's amazing how successfully and FAST the White House changed the narrative there. Because originally the "fake news" discussion was about the false viral articles spread by bots on social media. But then by the White House using the same term as an insult to attack mainstream news outlets reporting on White House leaks, they erased that discussion utterly from public consciousness and made "fake news" synonymous with what Trump supporters call "things critical of Trump".

[the best part though was completely accepted mutually exclusive arguments that the leaks were fake news, but the leakers were violating national security... THOSE CAN'T BOTH BE TRUE!]

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

As much as I would enjoy the image of an Ersatz-Superman swooping down, going "Yeah, your election was invalid, you've committed treason, and now you will be punished." and literally ripping a number of politicians in half end to end...

...A game setting like Aberrant needs to be as Evergreen as possible, and therefore I doubt they will directly address any specific current world leaders. After they leave office, any media directly or even obviously if indirectly referring to their time in office becomes permanently dated. Which for a game set "In the Near Future" is a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbx2fp_q4A - Relevant: Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law episode with the Jestons "We're from the far off year 2002!"

Comment

Directly by name, no. But for the game’s social commentary to be relevant it has to actually respond to society. The previous edition did, and as i’ve pointed out, it dates it now. It strongly reflects the neoliberal world order between the Cold War and 9/11 in its social commentary. The collapse of said word order to ethno-nationalism, social media making it possible for a celebrity with zero qualifications to be elected president, etc etc will all have to be things woven into the fabric of the setting to make it as cutting in its commentary as 1E tried to be.

Evergreen and Relevant are mutually exclusive in this case.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I quite agree on the official product probate being a bit more lightly on the touch of the topic. That said I would love to develop a more no holds bar timeline where the appearance of Novas fixes many of the issues we are going through now.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
              I quite agree on the official product probate being a bit more lightly on the touch of the topic. That said I would love to develop a more no holds bar timeline where the appearance of Novas fixes many of the issues we are going through now.
              It would be pretty lucky if issues are fixed. Because I'm pretty sure a situation as mentioned above where someone flies in and assassinates a bunch of high ranking politicians brutally and openly isn't going to make the world a better place. That is might makes right and that gets really messy when combined with the universal introductions of unknown Godpeople walking among us.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I never suggested that heavy handed activity, nor would I condone it. What I meant is there presence rapidly changes the social order.

BUT a nova business man could use his abilities to make inventions to improve lives. And a nova social media player could use his social popularity quite alot. Heck using kickstarter a nova could get money to create a product or such.

No need for violence just good old fashioned social manipulation through the channels already present.

Comment

Well you would probably still need some black ops style Nova's to kidnap and brainwash, or secretly disappear more obvious and unruly Novas. Otherwise these would be undone by every Nova that chooses to rob, steal, kill, and brainwash.

But in a more optimistic timeline yeah good would prevail and the power to create and make peace would change the world pretty quickly.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                    Directly by name, no. But for the game’s social commentary to be relevant it has to actually respond to society. The previous edition did, and as i’ve pointed out, it dates it now. It strongly reflects the neoliberal world order between the Cold War and 9/11 in its social commentary. The collapse of said word order to ethno-nationalism, social media making it possible for a celebrity with zero qualifications to be elected president, etc etc will all have to be things woven into the fabric of the setting to make it as cutting in its commentary as 1E tried to be.

Evergreen and Relevant are mutually exclusive in this case.

Yeah, the background of changes over the past few decades really do put a different spin on how Aeon and Project Utopia will need to operate as the 'New World Order'/Globalist vision of how things work has really managed to discredit itself enough that casual observation indicates that it would be a very hard sell to go that blatant again. But all is not bad and it rather opens a path that the authors are striving for. Allow me to explain:

1) Aeon and PU are going to take a long look at societal trends, particularly in the West and China and it's client states, and see those areas as ones to influence, with the West being considerably easier to work on and the rather openly totalitarian Chinese government (lots of close to the vest black ops work here and vs versa). They are also going to have to be aware that national and extra-national entities are going to work towards their own interests first, and Aeon/PU's second. That's just how it works and dealing with that faster will get things off the ground quicker.

2) Aeon during the Modern and Abberant eras is likely going to have to work a lot like Orgotek from 2123 in that it's going to have to play on the up and up, doing actually good things and making nice while public towing the line the people in charge in the area they are operating in want. Now, if the people in charge in the area are generally beastly (I'm not going to start a debate on any specific area, because I think people can do the research themselves) to the local population, and given past attempts at adventurism from various countries and how well that's worked out, Aeon and PU are likely to have to ask themselves from hard questions:

A) is the area we are going into unstable or hostile for a reason and if so why?

B) if we remove the source of the instability without causing further, or at least minimal damage to the area, can we, and more to the point, should we?

C) Do the locals want our help? If yes, how much do we provide and how long? If not, determine the reason(s) why and see if there is someway to perhaps work with them to assure non hostility if we operate nearby (note: this does NOT include bribing them into supporting Aeon in some way). Because that goes into dark places fast. And I think they are smart enough to work that out.

D) if the local authorities are unremittingly hostile, via media blitz (PU Social Adepts, Ahoy) or more physical means (They send local enforcers of whatever flavor) or both, What does Aeon do? Media Blitzes are not terribly effective in spite of the amount of effort expended if the person on the receiving end really doesn't care overly much. Particularly persons who have to fight off revolutionary/terror groups regularly. Words simply are not going to sink in very much if they have come up with a way that seems to promote relative stability, or at least an environment which works for them.

E) Are the forces in opposition to the local ruling authority any better in actuality? If the local authorities are perhaps a bit harsh and make no bones of that, but are working hard towards actually improving the local area for the general population, which does seem to be working, Do you back them? Or do you back the local opposition who may be full of rhetoric and idealism, but have no experience or the first clue in how to actually run a municipality. Or do they seem to be in it for the power, wealth, and influence? a local of direct democracy (or a republic style government) does not automatically mean bad.

F) if Aeon thinks that social engineering the locality is a good idea...how much? How far? and it had better be ready for the results. Not all societies are interchangable. Not all cultures are equally adaptable and putting something in that might look good from the outside might unleash something Aeon (and the players) might not expect and cause major problems. That said, while a significant portion of the world is interconnected via the web these days, not all places are especially keen on some ideas from other areas.

G) Aeon is going to have to watch how it's resources and aid are apportioned like a hawk if it's to retain credibility. There are far too many IRL examples of Aid disappearing enroute to where every it's supposed to go and ends up support two competing factions. Sounds like a call for heroes

In short, Aeon has a long and hard road to climb at this point. perversely harder than in the 1st edition.

3) Back to the general background fluff, for CONUS, I think we have objectively say state that the concentration of media into essential six mega-media companies, with the various internet feeds (blogs, social media, SMS texting services, etc) has changed electoral dynamics considerably where splinter factions and movements within the two major parties now can make themselves heard, much to the consternation of the establishment wings of the parties, who are working hard with establish media contacts trying to squash the voice of the splinter factions. Political realignments are never pretty, but then U.S history is littered with parties that were disposed of when they had outlived their usefulness.
                    Last edited by TheWanderingJewels; 04-01-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

AEON and PU will probably have a much harder time pandering their services to international law enforcement as well. One of their initial projects to prop up good press was establishing a precedent for using metasensory abilities and other nova powers to bypass all manner of criminal defense loopholes. Without as much cooperation on a national level, they'll find themselves hamstrung by legal defense and unable to get the lasting results that triggered the creation of the C-Z megasyndicate.

Comment

Folks might be discounting the presence of superhumanly smart and persuasive novas.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher Gerkey View Post
                          Folks might be discounting the presence of superhumanly smart and persuasive novas.

Possibly, but then in a more divided world, and a general game premise of Novas emerging around the world fairly evenly, there would be super-smart/charismatic novas to be found in nations that are more hostile to each other now than they were 20 years ago.

Honestly, given the rapidly disintegrating relations between the USA, Russia and China, if Novas were to emerge tomorrow, I would see it as a coin toss as to whether something like Project Utopia would be able to unify the world, or if the very attempt to create a global initiative wouldn't actually lead to the dissolution of the UN - or at least the departure of major players who would rather form their own Nova-bureau.

Visit me at Tales of Grey - my RPG Game-Master's blog.

"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy, I could have won" - I gave you all, Mumford & Sons

Comment

Well maybe, because Aberrant is more a light setting then dark, the advent of Novas first halts the international decline and them begins reverses it. Behind correcting the social and political and economic and environmental and technological issues tgst are plaguing us.

I really hope for an unconditionally good Project Utopia. Having it be an organization readers can trust would help in the process as well.

One of the major elements of this is my hope that they go the route of the future is not yet written and so the path of the Aberrant War and Aeon isn't necessary what will happen. The nature of it being a multiverse makes this all the more likely.

As a note though Novas are world wide I don't entirely think their eruptions are spread out evenly. I'm all for certain nations getting more of them then others for both setting and design reasons.

Comment

Working...
                            X