Aeon Era Governments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aeon Era Governments

The preview text doesn't go into a ton of detail about how different Earth governments function...

1) Is Australia a republic?

2) What type of government does Nippon have? Does the Chrysanthemum Throne still exist?

3) If you were to pick a country in the Aeon setting to be governed by supercomputer, which would it be? (i'm thinking Nippon, but I'm open to other suggestions)

4) If you were to pick a country in the Aeon setting to use mass public voting to come closest to direct democracy (though likely still with a technocratic executive bureaucracy to implement the public's decisions) which would it be?

5) If you were to pick a country in the Aeon setting to have a legislature by lottery (as it's the only possible truly representative sampling of the public) which would it be?

6) If you were to pick a country that uses social/economic sector, rather than geographic, representation for its government, which would it be? i.e. Elected representatives of different professions and business interests (but not the FSA system of property-proportional voting).

7) Does the United Republic call its chief executive "Lord Protector"... and if not, why the hell would you miss that opportunity?!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Is Hawai'i part of the FSA, or did they lose control of it when the US fell? If it's free, has it restored its monarchy?

Comment

I would imagine Australia is still a Republic.
      I imagine Nippon is much like it is today, just with the power to have their own Military. I could see either way with the Emperor still being a Thing, it makes sense that they embraced their insular nature and went back to their roots and have the Chrysanthemum still be a thing and include even greater powers then now, or they could not look back and embrace Democracy even more by doing away with the nobility even as a figure head.

3. How about Oceania having a Supercomputer governing their Undersea Wonderland!

8. I don't see why or how Hawaii would return to a monarchy, that doesn't seem at all plausible outside of an event like a Nova ethnic cleansed a great deal of the population and created a new ethnostate. But I like the Idea that Hawaii may be the inheritor of the United States of America, like Taiwan after Mao.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
        I would imagine Australia is still a Republic.
        Technically it's currently a Constitutional Monarchy, but as the current monarch's home country is calling itself the "United Republic" in the Aeon setting, I'm assuming that that royal title isn't maintained anywhere, unless they've fled to Australia and maintain their throne there or something.

8. I don't see why or how Hawaii would return to a monarchy, that doesn't seem at all plausible outside of an event like a Nova ethnic cleansed a great deal of the population and created a new ethnostate. But I like the Idea that Hawaii may be the inheritor of the United States of America, like Taiwan after Mao.
        A constitutional monarchy would not require the majority non-native population go away or lose power over the democratically elected government of Hawaii, just that the native sovereignty movement finally succeeded in getting an honorary legitimizing figure to represent Hawaii's cultural history enthroned as well.

My thinking was that the non-natives could have thrown their support behind the native sovereignty movement and restoring the constitutional monarch to legitimize the break away from the North America.
        Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-31-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I just think when people no longer have a King/Queen they have little impetus to take one up again, even if its just a figurehead, as I've noticed a lot of UKers are rather resentful of the nobility taking tax dollars for fancy weddings and such. Now I could see it becoming a thing though if some very influential person starts up a dynasty title, maybe even claiming descent from Kamehameha or some such (probably even a lie but it's something to rally behind). But without someone doing something noteworthy I don't see it being something people are eager for.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            The preview text doesn't go into a ton of detail about how different Earth governments function...

4) If you were to pick a country in the Aeon setting to use mass public voting to come closest to direct democracy (though likely still with a technocratic executive bureaucracy to implement the public's decisions) which would it be?
            How about Canada? I don't think its part of anything ... or is it FSA now...

Comment

I just think when people no longer have a King/Queen they have little impetus to take one up again, even if its just a figurehead, as I've noticed a lot of UKers are rather resentful of the nobility taking tax dollars for fancy weddings and such.
              The monarchy has around an 80% approval rating in the UK, so you're exposure is not representative of a desire to do away with the monarchy. Constitutional monarchies serve an important social function of providing a non-partisan head of state, that allows the head of government to be treated like a disposable bureaucrat, instead of building them up with ceremonial laurels combined with policy power the way we do the US President.

Given that "When a crown falls, in any kingdom in the Western hemisphere, it is pulverized, and when a sceptor departs, it departs forever; and American opinion cannot be sustain any American ruler in the attempt to restore them, no matter how virtuous or sincere the reason may be that seem to justify it" (Senate Foreign Relations Chair, John T Morgan, 1895) was the US's justification for upholding the corporate imperialist coup in Hawaii in the first place - I think it fits the potential brighter future themes to show that statement was wrong. Especially since the FSA itself looks a hell of a lot like Dole's corporate "Republic".
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-31-2018, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walksforever View Post

How about Canada? I don't think its part of anything ... or is it FSA now...

It's FSA. Invading Canada and Mexico for food and natural resources after the blight in the US was part of the military take over that established the FSA.

Comment

I never said a majority, I am just mentioning I've heard many bring it up, like Paul Bentley once as a guest on Conan a Decade ago was displeased with the whole pomp of Royal Rituals.

I still think you would need something like a native Hawaiian being involved in restarting the dynasty, something like a Talent or Aberrant claiming it. It seems lessened to have it be some white people decide they need a figure head so they raise one up.

Comment

I never said a majority, I am just mentioning I've heard many bring it up, like Paul Bentley once as a guest on Conan a Decade ago was displeased with the whole pomp of Royal Rituals.

I still think you would need something like a native Hawaiian being involved in restarting the dynasty, something like a Talent or Aberrant claiming it. It seems lessened to have it be some white people decide they need a figure head so they raise one up.
                    Certainly yes, Native heroes are involved, I just meant the political reasons why non-natives would embrace such a change, not make the change out of nowhere themselves. The native sovereignty movement already exists now after all!

Comment

Technically it's currently a Constitutional Monarchy, but as the current monarch's home country is calling itself the "United Republic" in the Aeon setting, I'm assuming that that royal title isn't maintained anywhere, unless they've fled to Australia and maintain their throne there or something.
                      Australia in the AEon era is most likely a republic. While there’s generally an affection for Queen Elizabeth among Australia’s aging population, this doesn’t really extend to her successors, nor is it really felt in Australia’s younger generations. The government doesn’t have much appetite for changing away from the constitutional monarchy while Elizabeth still reigns, but signs are good that once she dies, the numbers will be right for a referendum to change to a republic at some point. And there are a lot of years between now and 2123.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                      WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

3) If you were to pick a country in the Aeon setting to be governed by supercomputer, which would it be? (i'm thinking Nippon, but I'm open to other suggestions)
                        Define ‘governed’. Though they don’t form Nippon’s ‘government’, the intelligences running the arcology basically govern every aspect of Nipponese life.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
                        WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

Australia in the AEon era is most likely a republic. While there’s generally an affection for Queen Elizabeth among Australia’s aging population, this doesn’t really extend to her successors, nor is it really felt in Australia’s younger generations. The government doesn’t have much appetite for changing away from the constitutional monarchy while Elizabeth still reigns, but signs are good that once she dies, the numbers will be right for a referendum to change to a republic at some point. And there are a lot of years between now and 2123.

But Prince George Erupting in 2030 really throws a wrench in everything with his Mega socials why more nations are members of the commonwealth before the Aberrant war than in our current timeline. (not serious at all)

Comment

Don’t forget his Lightning Breath too!

Also his arch enemy/father Prince Charles or as he is called post eruption Doctor Lasers.

Comment

Don’t forget his Lightning Breath too!

Also his arch enemy/father Prince Charles or as he is called post eruption Doctor Lasers.

Grandfather. Prince George will be 17 in 2030.

More seriously I imagine there are some serious derailments of modern day trends by the Aeon era because in the middle the Novas mess everything up

Comment

Working...
                              X