No announcement yet.

Aeon Era Governments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately, I couldn't fund the kickstarter due to money issues, and couldn't see TC: Aeon texts ... But I wanted to know what China would be like. Having a one-party government that will make its president ruler indefinitely and reading news of a "population ranking" system in lines of Black Mirror, I mind that could be nice to set the mood/ambience for a dystopian Orwelian government.

Sorry for bad english!

Comment

China has a complex Neo-Confucian government that was designed by a super-Intelligent Nova a century ago. It’s literally impossible for the baseline human brain to understand fully how it functions, including the people who make it up - but it does. It’s prosperous and efficient, and while the public doesn’t have Australia or United Africa level freedom, they are substantially better off than those living under FSA’s corporate-military regime.

Since no one fully understands how the Chinese government works, everyone’s afraid to try and change any part of it - because they have no way of knowing what the results would be.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

When you put it that way, it sounds like they would work as your Country most suited to be run by super computers.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I considered that, but that would require them to keep using Nova-programmed AIs that China (unlike Nippon) would obviously not trust and ReWrite would shut down immediately. The Bodhissatva's work is more interesting as super-intelligent social organizing than computer programming.

Comment

I'm imagining Australia being the country that's adopted electronic direct democracy, with a catch. To balance their opening of their borders, they implemented mandatory public service for citizenship. You only get voting rights with three years of public service, civilian or military. The majority of the adult population are fully enfranchised citizens - which leads to mass media chaos over the various public votes.

Comment

That sounds horribly un-Australian. Australia is a proud proponent of the Westminster system, and I can’t imagine that changing even 100 years and an Aberrant War from now. Unlike a lot of other countries, Aussies are extremely fond of talking politics - mostly hating on the politicians and their poor judgements and self interest. Moving to an electronic direct democracy would destroy a bedrock aspect of Aussie culture, and massively change the nation’s outlook and way of seeing the world. Nothing presented in AEon suggests that Australia has seen the kinds of cultural outlook changes that this would create.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
              WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                That sounds horribly un-Australian. Australia is a proud proponent of the Westminster system, and I can’t imagine that changing even 100 years and an Aberrant War from now. Unlike a lot of other countries, Aussies are extremely fond of talking politics - mostly hating on the politicians and their poor judgements and self interest. Moving to an electronic direct democracy would destroy a bedrock aspect of Aussie culture, and massively change the nation’s outlook and way of seeing the world. Nothing presented in AEon suggests that Australia has seen the kinds of cultural outlook changes that this would create.

Ok, I was going off the idea of Australia having a more rapid cultural shift on the basis of its huge population influx (both from neighbors, and FSA and Europe escapees), but fair enough.

This would seem to indicate Australia is by far the least changed major power in the Aeon setting.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  I'm imagining Australia being the country that's adopted electronic direct democracy, with a catch. To balance their opening of their borders, they implemented mandatory public service for citizenship. You only get voting rights with three years of public service, civilian or military. The majority of the adult population are fully enfranchised citizens - which leads to mass media chaos over the various public votes.
                  Yeah...voting is not a right here. It is a responsibility. An obligation. It is not optional.
                  If you are an Australian citizen, you must vote. Or you will be fined.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

Yeah...voting is not a right here. It is a responsibility. An obligation. It is not optional.
                    If you are an Australian citizen, you must vote. Or you will be fined.
                    I’m aware, but the US constitution bans poll taxes, Britain is a Constitutional monarchy not a republic, China isn’t governed by a Neo-Confucian brain-bending enigma, Africa isn’t a single country, etc etc.

Why is Australia the country that hasn’t changed despite the events of the last century, and the massive influx of people?

Comment

Isn’t Australia a much more successful version of their self in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        Isn’t Australia a much more successful version of their self in the future?
                        Hard to say at this point.

I guess what I want is a country the can (in its darker stories, not necessarily its default) fit the Black Mirror “hyper-individualism” cyber-dystopia scenario, the way the FSA fits the more conventional Electric Dreams authoritarian cyber-dystopia.

Since Australia is kind of the last bastion of “Western liberal democracy” in the setting, I thought it might be the best fit.

Comment

I still don’t know a lot of the setting I just seem to recall something about Brazil , Australia and India became major super powers by Aeons time. So what about Brazil and India are they radically different besides having fully realized infrastructure, land and population?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                            I still don’t know a lot of the setting I just seem to recall something about Brazil , Australia and India became major super powers by Aeons time. So what about Brazil and India are they radically different besides having fully realized infrastructure, land and population?

I considered Sudamerica, but protecting the environment, and charging the rest of the planet for it (since their territory is producing most of the planet's oxygen) is to fundamental there for direct democracy to function. Tragedy of the commons and all that.

With the Bharati Commonwealth, the problem with electronic direct democracy would be the huge population differences would completely negate any semblance of voice the non-India populations would have.

Comment

I’m aware, but the US constitution bans poll taxes, Britain is a Constitutional monarchy not a republic, China isn’t governed by a Neo-Confucian brain-bending enigma, Africa isn’t a single country, etc etc.

Why is Australia the country that hasn’t changed despite the events of the last century, and the massive influx of people?
                              Changed absolutely but there is a lack of political will power to alter that particular issue. Mostly because there is no way the Opposition would not frame it as taking away the vote from citizens.

Comment

I considered Sudamerica, but protecting the environment, and charging the rest of the planet for it (since their territory is producing most of the planet's oxygen) is to fundamental there for direct democracy to function. Tragedy of the commons and all that.

With the Bharati Commonwealth, the problem with electronic direct democracy would be the huge population differences would completely negate any semblance of voice the non-India populations would have.
                                Literally what the Senate is for in most modern examples. Generally they are elected to a limited number of seats for a defined regional body with shared identity. Common for States in a federated government.

Direct democracies are...problematic for any grouping with any other historical model. Personally, I'd have that role fulfilled by a colony world who claims independence.

Comment

Working...
                                X