X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eldagusto
    started a topic Secret History of the World

Secret History of the World

So I am a huge fan of the secret history of the world trope as well as homages, like I just got into Planetary and I love the whole Doc Savage and his Pulp secret Society vs the Justice League in an incursion style event in the first issue. But the Hellboyverse does stuff like this, the movie was wonderful example to with the whole Hitler and the Spear of Destiny part. But Hunter the Vigil wonderfully touched on this with Strike Force VALYRIE and the Abe Lincoln Possession, something the Classic White Wolf Setting would never go so off the res with, or the initial God Machine Conspiracy. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was probably my first remembered instance of this type of crossover approach but I love even how the Venture Brothers did it with the Guild of Calamitous Intent's origins. Oh and Invisibles too, don't forget old Grant Morrison!

But it does have me thinking that Aberrant is most fitting for something like Planetary, still only on the beginning of the Omnibus. So how about a thread on suggestions for different ideas or headcanons for Trinity's secret history? I mean I personally don't go with weirdness starting at the Hammersmith event, its just the most prominent case. In fact there is still a lot about it that seems fishy.

Also what about the idea of Talents with one unique power, so something like a unique Edge. Seems like it would be a good method to explain certain characters that are mostly Talents but have one unique oddity about them, kind of like Max Mercer Himself but his timepowers are bit more over the top then I initially have planned.

So thoughts?

Like what about secret levels above the president in the Government?

Or 1800's style Secret Service, like Agent Screw On Head working for Lincoln? It would be pretty curious to have something like First Contact between America and Extraterrestrial Forces was made during Lincolns tenure, and it has been a secret not known to presidents since.

• Astromancer
    replied
    In the fantasy trilogy,( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimiamvian_Trilogy ) Eddison set on Mercury Zeus and Venus are playing a game. Heroes, villains, fools, and saints, are the pieces on the game board. Pick a group of three to five gods (I'd prefer Athena, Manannan Mac Lir, Thoth, and Freya). Have them play a game to shape the world. They would be manipulating the Talents, Inspired, Psions, Psiads, Novas, and others toward their various goals.

Sorry, this system won't let me link you to Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 02-24-2019, 10:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Well the Bureaucracy was keeping the President in the Dark for National Security.

And I’m not necessarily talking about puppet masters that unlawfully Control the world, though that is one way of using it, another way is a level of security clearance above the President concerning matters of ultimate importance, like secret doomsday threats whose very revelation can cause upheaval, like the Men in Black, or Nick Fury who personally handled several doomsday scenarios he was the only one entrusted with very specific Clearance and Secret Energency redoubts and resources.

Hmm I’m thinking a new idea, before Mycroft Holmes dies of being a Fatass like in the Story: The Case of Death and Honey, he could have convinced Sherlock and Moriarty to live in hiding. In the story we assume Moriarty dies and Sherlock is tasked with discovering eternal youth to help save the World. But what if Mycroft discovered Moriarty was also alsove and convinced him Sherlock was dead as he predicted that was the only way to reign in Moriarty’s more chaotic nature, and he convinces Moriarty to Shepherd the world in his stead. So Moriarty becomes M, the title of the head of MI6. And Maybe he also sets him with the task to assemble a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, slightly different from the comic as I’m mashing together Gaiman with Moore.

Before I mentioned the Hammersmith Incident could have been preceded with Hammersmith Consulting a Think Tank. What if Mycroft predicted the advent of the Inspired Age, up to the accuracy of even predicting it happening in the early half of the third decade of the 20th century. Or Hell what if Hammersmith was an Alias for Holmes or Moriarty to help kickstart the inspired age?

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    To be honest Independence Day is an example of the bureaucracy acting to keep the president in the dark, using shadowy book keeping and black ops sites to hide it until they decide otherwise.

If you really want a secret level of government that is above the president then most likely it will be one made up of Soros level rich men who use money and resource control to push governments in the directions they want them to go.

You could go to the extreme edge and create a secret group or organization that has been picking our presidents and directing our governments, all while letting us maintain the illusion of control.
    How many times has an elected official gone completely off the rails after winning the election? Sure he gets replaced come the next election, but how well do you really know his potential replacements? Who actually decides what candidates get on the ballot, much less through the primaries? If in a two party system like here in the States both parties secretly answer to the same master, who allows them the appearance of arguing over the unimportant issues while the important ones quietly proceed as desired in the background, how would you know it?

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by 2ptTakrill View Post
    As far has levels of government and security above the president that is very easily done and does happen in the real world, only it isn't above but below. It's called bureaucracy.
    It is really easy in an organization that numbers in the thousands for the man at top to be kept out of the loop, no conspiracy necessary. The president may give orders and direct policy but it is underlings who decide how they are carried out. There is just too much going on for one person to keep track of, especially when people make an effort to hide it.
    For example there is a book from the eighties (I think) called the 'Brotherhood of the Rose' in which it turns out that a handful of high ranking intelligence operatives from the major powers secretly control the Cold War. They do it through a combination of secret agreements and blackmail, their elected and appointed superiors kept carefully in the dark.
    Or 'Three Days of the Condor' where a "CIA within the CIA" plots to disrupt the nations of the Middle East in order to influence oil prices.
    Just create a level of an agency that is sufficiently insulated against review from the top, then let it slip through the cracks.
    I know what your getting at but I’m talking specifically about a security and authority level above he President, likely invested by a previous president in conjunction with multiple other politicians and generals in secret. The idea was used in a few places like Nick Fury being the highest level of security Clearance and even successive Shield Directors like Tony Stark, Norman Osborn, and Mariah Hill (hah) do not have the clearance to access Furies Secret Bases even after Fury Goes AWOL, or like in Independence Day, and Men in Black, the President doesn’t have the clearance to know about Aliens, till they invade. This is what I’m taking about, very specific secrets and resources that were kept secret likely due to prevent an Apocalypse. Not just a Black Ops Rogue Conspiracy, I’m talking about a secret and official level of Clearance that the current Presidents of the United States don’t have access to, for one because they only hold their position for 8 years at best.

Leave a comment:

• 2ptTakrill
    replied
    As far has levels of government and security above the president that is very easily done and does happen in the real world, only it isn't above but below. It's called bureaucracy.
    It is really easy in an organization that numbers in the thousands for the man at top to be kept out of the loop, no conspiracy necessary. The president may give orders and direct policy but it is underlings who decide how they are carried out. There is just too much going on for one person to keep track of, especially when people make an effort to hide it.
    For example there is a book from the eighties (I think) called the 'Brotherhood of the Rose' in which it turns out that a handful of high ranking intelligence operatives from the major powers secretly control the Cold War. They do it through a combination of secret agreements and blackmail, their elected and appointed superiors kept carefully in the dark.
    Or 'Three Days of the Condor' where a "CIA within the CIA" plots to disrupt the nations of the Middle East in order to influence oil prices.
    Just create a level of an agency that is sufficiently insulated against review from the top, then let it slip through the cracks.

Leave a comment:

• moonwolf8
    replied
    I figure they can't use Norse myths for fear of empowering the German-American Bund. Both Roosevelt and Wallace were masons so they would be used to Greek and Egyptian motifs. I figure the Polynesians were a last minute add on because of the Japanese threat, though they might be influenced by the work of Lewis Spence and James Churchward on Lemuria/Mu. Remember that the idea is to empower mostly white protestant Americans preferably fellow masons.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Wait why would Roosevelt try to draw power from Hawaii Gods, seems odd to do that out of the blue, unless they chose those three pantheons because they had a specific limited resource of only those three pantheons.

Leave a comment:

• moonwolf8
    replied
    I like the idea that War of the Worlds was a record of actual events that took place a year and a half too two years before the book was published. Governments around the world are working to reverse engineer Martian technology with Thailand, Ethiopia, and Argentina all being roughly equal to Japan or Germany in industry and innovation.

I am slowly making my way through "Behold a Pale Horse" by William Cooper. According to Mr. Cooper President Eisenhower was he last president to know the truth about UFOs and our secret space program, every president since him has been kept in the dark.

As for WW2 I prefer the idea that the first Superhumans were avatars of the Norse gods produced by the Ubermensch program of the Thule society, and that they first became known to the general public during the closing ceremonies of the 1936 Olympic games. President Roosevelt, Henry Wallace, and Nicholas Roerich devise a ritual to manifest syncretized avatars into Americans. They decide to syncretize Egyptian, Greek and Polynesian deities the first being Horus-Hercules-Maui who manifests in a Jewish shop keeper in Cleveland, Ohio. Because of ongoing problems with the dust bowl their next attempt is Osiris-Dionysus-Lono who manifests in a black sharecropper. The Americans have their first success in 1938 by which time the Germans already have six Metahuman Avatars. Although Roosevelt complains privately about empowering Catholics, Jews and Coloreds they proceed in order to save the country. Roosevelt does not share how to make metahumans with Churchill or Stalin. By wars end in 1947 Germany, the United States, Japan, Brazil, and India all have their metahuman overlords. India gains independence from Great Britain in 1943. After the 13th avatar appears in a country they start manifesting spontaneously until they reach 1 in a million. Odin manifested in a Jewish Kabbalist and overthrew Hitler in 1940.

Leave a comment:

• LordHeru
    replied
    Though I totally support the idea that the Inspired have been here since dawn of human civilization and that their are periods where theu r presence is strong, I have little immediate thoughts to add on this.

Well besides saying I think WW2 need the Inspired.

And that the government's of the world have records indicating their truthful existence.

I will say I'm not a fan of security above the president, ibthink he should know. Plus I like the idea of a few days post inauguration a thousand page leather tome is given to them with the secret history of the world.

Other than that your ideas are interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X