OpNet 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpNet 2.0

I've been considering a lot of the original Aberrant material to consider how certain things might be updated. I wrote up this article about the OpNet and I'm curious what folks think. How do you want the OpNet to work in Aberrant 2.0? Should it still be a thing?

http://keepontheheathlands.com/2018/...-opnet-update/
    "Side-Benefits

The distribution of the Zushima microbe into the atmosphere offered an amazing opportunity to do something no one thought possible up until that point. Working alongside Buendia, the creator of stylish Eufiber, Project Utopia was able to develop a natural WiFi network. This is why you have OpNet access anywhere you go these days! The Zushima microbes at like miniature satellites communicating between one another and your mobile device. In the old days, people would talk about The Cloud, the virtual space where computers stored data. Well, now we have a literal cloud where all of our data transfers occur."

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Oh wow, very cool. What a fun read. I like the idea as well. Plus having it be an aerial network adds a bit of uniqueness to it that I like.

Comment

Yeah, it also creates some places where you can add some darker elements to the concept. What if one of the Zushima microbes mutates and suddenly starts eating elements of the OpNet? Or if a Nova uploads themselves to the OpNet, do they physically become part of the Zushima cloud?

Find my products on the ST Vault here: http://www.storytellersvault.com/pro...iate_id=235787

Comment

I like the upload idea. It could have interesting transhuman elements to it that couk d be fun for a campaign. Especially of the semi virtual world it brings them to is something else or whatnot.

As I don't want a darker setting I wouldn't have the tech fail or be corrupted, but that's just me.

Comment

And something that a lot of people do not consider.. given how interconnected things area, you get that one nova who can manipulate the OpNet and pretty much slide by any security. Now make them tech savvy. And consider the interconnectedness of all equipment. Now make them not particularly friendly towards Surveillance and Sousveillance states or organizations and of the mind to occasionally wipe databases to bare metal....

Comment

To me that's a perfect opportunity for the organization the PCs are a part of to hear about it and then ask the PCs to stop it and catch the bad guys.

You could also say that the major nations ad corporations of the world have nova teams designed to provide computer security. Heck i could see a nova with saj d powers opening his own firm for just that purpose.

I also like the idea of a nova sliding by security, not by harming it but by basically saying his data isn't there. Its a perfect ability for a nova who doesnt want to get found out in a modern tech world.

Because here is the thing just because the potential is there doesn't mean the operation needs to occur.

By the way I liked how the initial clean up operation was kickstarted. That is cool.

I also had the nifty idea of the bacteria, once seeded on a world could be used for quantum teleport effects. That is via upload to the network formed by the bacteria a person can go here to there through its network.

Comment

Oh yeah! The Quantum teleport angle is a ton of fun. That would be cool. It does allow for a lot of transhumanist ideas, which is a great tie-in to Aeon.

The downside could be, that to avoid 'infection' the bacteria might have a failsafe built in that harms a Nova trying to disrupt the network or use it as a travel device. Depending on the style of campaign you had you could go either way with it.

Comment

I like the idea of it having it's own security system. Basically by a process that the nova designer can explain but most people's eyes intersect the network has it's own anti hacking security.

Comment

Easy to implement as a mini-story if the PCs want to push into the idea of traveling physically into ‘the cloud’ too. You could create a series of scenarios based around the microbial security that they have to bypass to get through. Fun little adventure for a night of gaming.

Comment

Following up on my original example. Have the Nova in question, while not being overtly evil, hitting the various information gathering databases as a not-so subtle message of 1) back things up in offline storage and 2) kill data-mining operations Like say, social media data-mining operations. They leave the actual log in's alone, but the 'marketable' portions get nuked. along with various types of malware. I leave the specifics of why to the GM

Comment

I like that too. Would be a cool campaign hook.

Comment

A bit more development on the earlier subject

"Anon": I Am The Network

Ever seen a movie or tv show or read a book where a hacker pulls of stunts that are just ludicrous and really should not be possible at all? That's this person. It's not really ever been seen, but it's effects are felt, as security databases and data mining operations periodically take a partial or full purge down to bare metal of their data, causing the crash of several social media services or rethinking of their business models. What little is known is that Anon does seem to take an interest in social media in particular, occasionally leaving cryptic remarks before it strikes. Anon seems to have a pronounced dislike for social media mob 'take downs' of individuals (the political stance of the individual seems irrelevant), and many have found their accounts deactivated, deleted, or otherwise scrambled for several days It seems to do this without any particular pattern except for those who take the time to research it's behavior.

After a bit of work, organization can discover the following:

1. Anon values the Individual over the Group
                        2. Anon has a very nasty habit of doing data dumps on people who go out of thier way to make peoples lives miserable. Usually rather creatively and in ways that cannot be covered up.
                        3. Anon seems indifferent to Project Utopia/Aeon Foundation, Teragen, or government agencies. It actively seems to go out of it's way to annoy the last set of parties and has little respect for them or their authority.

No one has ever seen Anon that they are aware of

Comment

Unrelated to the OpNet 'Zushimi Cloud Network' concept, which sounds brilliant, I was recently toying with the notion that the microbes used to 'clean up the oceans' could mutate (or *be mutated...*) and begin devouring other things that don't belong in the ocean, but they weren't meant to eat, like fiberglass boat hulls, or Styrofoam floats holding up docks, or synthetic swimwear....

That could be a large scale ecological nightmare, and, as so often happens, attempts to fix the problem (introducing a new tailored organism to eat the first tailored organism, for instance) could just be kicking the can down the road (since, particularly if the mutation was deliberate, you've just given the saboteur a new tailored organism to turn into a weapon).

Comment

Working...
                          X