Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spaceship Tower

Just a random idea.

At some point in the present or near future a secret inspired/nova engineer businessman bought some land and built a massive futuristic arcology skyscraper. Inside it's towering spiral design he established mixed residential, governmental, commercial, and industrial zoning areas full of five story buildings in six story tall levels. Collectively the arcology is about a mile tall and say three acres to a side.

While this is going on, and it's million plus residents are moving in, the world is darkening as politics lead to separation and religion leads to intolerance. Matters reach it's peak and soon an international war breaks out.

On the eve of the war the man names his final plans. Plans which lead to the activation of the secret engines at the hidden bottom of the tower. Engines which, with near to no damage to the surrounding region, launch the tower from it's earthside cradle and into space.

Here is where things change. Option one has the tower staying in Earth orbit where it watches the war occurring down on the planet below. Maybe small scout teams are sent to the moon, Mars, maybe even Venus and Ceres for scientific discovery.

Option two has the leader activating a second secret engine which moves the tower at FTL speeds through a gate to a distant star.

The activation of the engines will lead to a neat undetectable outburst of special radiation. Which will have the effect of creating Talents, Novas, and Psiads among the people of the tower and the survivors on the warton Earth below.

As a note obviously the nova engineer will have created grav crystals, force fields, and hardlight barriers and the arcology will have a huge amount of onboard plant and animal species in addition to its million plus humans. Accommodations are bright and spacey and feel more suburban than as if one lives in a massive tower.

If hi wabt to go more sci-fi then the man didn't build just one arcology but rather dozens, scoees, hundreds exist and take off upon the start of war.

The players could be inspired contemporaries of the chief nova engineer or they could be his allies, agents, or apprentices. They are given the task to basically be his eyes, ears, and hands when trouble is found.

You could play up the fact the people in the tower had no clue there homes is a spaceship by I think if you do you should also gave it that most residents have there family somewhere in the tower. That the owner liked to collect them all,as it were. (But in a good way, not sinister.)

If you want conflict maybe a former mayor or governor or senator or president lives on the ship and he starts getting a following.

Obviously though they have factories and fabricators and the accumulated data of the internet as of blast off they lack resources. Oh while food is plentiful, for the farms and gardens can produce enough for everyone to eat like kings, the same cannot be said for minerals of numerous kinds. Which leads to them having to find a way to space mine.

The towers are designed to be able to take off and land on planets, while also operating in space. So the tower can gate to another planet, land, mine, then take off again as necessary.

The towers have many balconies on the outside hull. These balconies vary in size from sitting areas to massive halls big enough for hundreds or more to gather. They can be open aired but also sealed by force field and hardlight barriers.

So is it happening in a world without Novas, or in the normal history but some super scientist is kidnapping people for his own space country?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      So is it happening in a world without Novas, or in the normal history but some super scientist is kidnapping people for his own space country?
      I'm not sure actually. I think both options are totally possible. Like it's our world and this guy says "hey look what I want to so" and well does it. Or it could be a nova age world and the war is the Aberrant War and his towers are say somewhere around the world where novas are common. Heck this could partly explain why the US fell so hard, many of the best and brightest were on the arcologies.

I kind of like the whole the world is normal, maybe Talents exist, and here there is a secret nova who uses his abilities and resources to create mighty arcologies aroumd the world.

I figured his plan was to keep things on Earth so he didn't focus on building his own country. Rather he esyablished his megacorp, built the towers, and invited his workers and others to inhabit them. They did and so were there when the bad stuff happened.

I will say this if it's the official timeline then a branch complex of the Aeon Society would be present on the arcology. Mostly because that would be awesome.

Comment

Wouldn't that tank the economy if you have a megacorporation that was so big it could secretly build multiple million person Archologies in secret and then kidnap several million employees, not to mention the resources they are vamoosing with. Still sounds cool but people would totally see this as a supervillain move.

Comment

Nothing is secret till the blast off, which by then the world is already bad and on the eve of a devastating and probably nuclear war.

The arcologies are blatent, commonly seen. The people working and living there participate in the national and global economy. The company operates yay like any other, but instead of normal business park centers they inhabit towers. Nothing secret or hidden about that.

What nobody knew is that at their bottoms lay engines and that the towers were designed to move.

That's why I figured at first a single tower, say on the New Jersey side of the bay overlooking New York City.

Comment

A slight twist based on the Templars from the Hyperion saga. A religious cult prophesizing coming apocalypse is building their sanctuaries all around the world. On the day of the war, the sanctuaries lift up and form a giant tower superstructure once they reconnect in the space. Smaller sanctuaries are easier to fly with, they could be used for mining operations. The final structure could be something similar to Dyson swarm.

Comment

Originally posted by Korusef View Post
              A slight twist based on the Templars from the Hyperion saga. A religious cult prophesizing coming apocalypse is building their sanctuaries all around the world. On the day of the war, the sanctuaries lift up and form a giant tower superstructure once they reconnect in the space. Smaller sanctuaries are easier to fly with, they could be used for mining operations. The final structure could be something similar to Dyson swarm.
              I actually really like this. Though I would reverse who is who. As in for me it's the secular group who build the towers and the religious ones stay on Earth. But the idea of a lot of little towers all around the Earth blasting off and coming together to form a massive structure is brilliant. Especially as some can dissconect to provide small outpost and bases and such where needed.

Comment

Yeah I like this idea. Each Tower could still even be pretty massive, but more like a bigger Burj al Dubai rather then the Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid. But it would be pretty cool to have a host of towers built around the world with the secret goal that they would individually launch into space and form a gigantic space tower. Yeah I dig this.

Comment

You know I was just thinking on this idea further while watching Isaac Arthur's O'Neill Cylinder episode and I realized something - who needs secrecy.

What I mean is this could tltallybfit in the Nova Age as is. A nova business owner could come up with the plan, by some land, build a tower, recruit resident who fully in a what's going on, then launch it into space. The first attempt is so successful ge builds another, and another, then buts more land, and builds more, then more land elsewhere around the world and builds more. Soon humanity goes from one of these towers to hundreds and then thousands and then by the Aberrant War tens to hundreds of thousands.

They will obviously maje use of better nova developed technology and might even operate on nova created hyper theory ssocial and government forms.

Players could be agents of his megacorp, agents of Aeon or the UN, or simply a bunch of Novas who live on a spaceship tower who are trying to make a name for themselves.

If the campaign gets to the Aberrant War timeframe what does the presence of tens or more thousand of these skyscraper like stations in say L4 and L5 do to the operation. Especially if Novas are major figures of importance and renown on the spaceship towers. Which considering the Nova who owns the megacorp who basically runs much of the infrastructure and operations in the towers.

Comment

Oh yeah just watched that good stuff. If a Nova is building them and launches em off into space he could very well have Fusion and thus have access to more then the L4 and L5 as far as stable locals goes.

Comment

Just a random addition, since I'm focusing more on a coherent multiverse storyline in my campaign, the tower could also be a means to escape to another timeline.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtypoolfilms View Post
                        Just a random addition, since I'm focusing more on a coherent multiverse storyline in my campaign, the tower could also be a means to escape to another timeline.
                        That it could. It very much could. In fact that would be incredibly fun.

Now in such a case I would stick to a singular tower, or if a few have each be unique. I would also make them bigger.

But the idea that something goes on in the world and the leader activates the D-engine and shifts the whole tower to another timeline. Said other timeline could be alternate histories, pre human earth, far future, far past, etc. Heck the change in timeline might not even be a once thing, but more a we gobto new earth, scout around, father intell and resources, find things not suitable for long term occupancy, and move on.
                        In such a case the players would be a team scouts sent out to explore and investigate.

Comment

That is very much where I was leaning with the suggestion, just wanted to make sure the hook got mentioned as a possibility. The beauty of Trinity is that you can take it in so many different directions.

Comment

Working...
                          X