Specifics of Plant Mastery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specifics of Plant Mastery

So, if I'm a nova and I have the Plant Mastery power (from the Aberrant corebook), how far does that extend? I mean, the text says I can 'talk' to plants and even replicate the 'Animation' power with them, but what can they tell me, and what kinds of things can I talk a plant into doing? Does a tree have any kind of tactile sense or ability to hear what's said under it, or does it just take note of light and dark, when it's watered and when it's not and such?

Can I become the ultimate topiarist by talking plants into taking weird and wonderful shapes and having them stay like that? If I can and I want to grow oak trees into houses, would it take years or can I talk them into growing at greatly accelerated speeds, provided they have the nutrients and water necessary? Can I ask an apple tree to give me an apple in spring? Can I talk an apple pip into growing into a different species of apple or into a peach or into growing up to have hydrophobic leaves, or is it bound by its genetics?

Would this depend on how many dots I have in the power? Could/should I develop subsidiary powers ala Elemental Anima's 'Alter Temperature' to allow me to do these things, or are they simply beyond the remit of Plant Mastery - maybe something like 'Chlorokinesis' could do the job instead, a 3rd-level peer of Gravity Control?

Thoughts and input on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ajf115; 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM.

I think that Plant Mastery is mostly a talk to plants power. So it allows for communication, basic influence and control.

BUT

If a player came to m and said I want my nova to have power over the plant world then I would say you need to buy Elemental Anime slash Elemental Mastery but with a plant focus. We would then work together to create or choose techniques for said ability.

So that in the end said nova could indeed do all that you suggested for them.

Also some of what your suggatuin might be better developed as a a Super Science project rather than a power use.

Finally, the idea of a nova creating a species of plan which can grow into massive natural tree houses is in fact an awesome one.

Comment

I've made a start on developing a chlorokinetic power. I'm fairly new to Aberrant, so some feedback on the mechanics of the power would be very welcome, as well as other ideas for techniques.

CHLOROKINESIS

Level:3
      Quantum Minimum: 4
      Dice Pool: Special
      Range: Special
      Area: Special
      Duration: Variable
      Effect: The user of this power may control plant life
      Multiple Actions: Yes
      Description: A nova with this power can control, shape and otherwise manipulate plant life, from causing a flower to bloom in winter to shaping a forest into a living fortress. Novas with this power are highly valued by Project Utopia for its terraforming initiatives and often work in conjunction with nova and baseline biologists to create and cultivate new and marvellous plants via accelerated selective breeding or with the aid of genetic engineering. This power only allows a nova to control plants – that is, organisms which use chloroplasts to photosynthesize. Algae is within their powers, although fungi and moulds are not. Symbiotic organisms like mosses and lichens which are only partly plants are left to the discretion of the storyteller.

A nova with this power may spend 1 quantum point and roll Perception + Chlorokinesis to intuitively sense the state, species and properties of a plant within (Quantum + Chlorokinesis) x 20 metres. If the nova has not encounted this plant before, they recognize that this is not a species they know.

Like Elemental Mastery, Chlorokinesis comes with a number of techniques, one of which can be learned per dot in this power.

GROW/WITHER
      Dice Pool: Charisma + Chlorokinesis
      Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 5 metres
      Duration: Maintenance
      The nova may cause plants to grow explosively or wither away. This power can affect either a single plant or a volume of plant matter of roughly human size per success on the character’s Charisma + Chlorokinesis roll and can multiply the target’s rate of growth by a factor of ten per success (i.e. one success = 10x, two successes = 100x, three successes = 1000x etc) or reduces its size by 25% per success, causing that part of the plant to brown, wither and die. This plant matter may belong to a single plant or many, and may or may not encompass the whole of a plant’s mass – it is perfectly possible to grow a single branch of a young sapling to enormous size relative to the rest.

This technique only grows the plant, it does not cause it or any part of it to mature. Furthermore, this technique does not allow the nova to control the nature of the plant’s growth beyond choosing what to grow, only to enable it. Plants will grow as is most advantageous to them – usually upwards towards the sun – unless manipulated to do otherwise by other chlorokinetic techniques or via Plant Mastery. Any growth is permanent, but the nova must maintain the technique to keep growing the plants, using his quantum powers to gather useful molecules from the surroundings to construct new cells.

SHAPE
      Dice Pool: Wits + Chlorokinesis
      Duration: Maintenance
      Reshape a plant (e.g. oak into treehouse) permanently

ANIMATE
      Dice Pool: Manipulation + Chlorokinesis
      Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 3 metres
      Duration: Concentration
      Animate a plant as per ‘Animation’ to serve as a minion

Duration: Concentration
      Alter a plant within its genes – turning them on or off, tricking it re: stimuli, making it beat fruit out of season etc

READ LIFE
      Dice Pool: Perception + Chlorokinesis
      Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10 metres
      Area: (Quantum + power rating) x 5 metre radius
      Duration: Instant
      Understand the properties, interrelations and influences of plants within the radius
      Last edited by ajf115; 04-14-2018, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Based on the things Antaeus was supposed to have done in his early T2M days, I'd tend to agree that what they have written for Plant Mastery wasn't enough. As it was you had to splice his powers together from Biomanipulation, Plant Mastery, and Elemental Mastery till you get to the Ecological Supremacy effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
          Based on the things Antaeus was supposed to have done in his early T2M days, I'd tend to agree that what they have written for Plant Mastery wasn't enough. As it was you had to splice his powers together from Biomanipulation, Plant Mastery, and Elemental Mastery till you get to the Ecological Supremacy effects.
          Huh. I can see the Plant Mastery and Elemental MAstery, but I can't find Biomanipulation anywhere. There's Bio-Mastery in the fanmade companion.

EDIT: Nevermind, I've found it.
          Last edited by ajf115; 04-14-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X