Natalya 'Swarm Queen' Dornova?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natalya 'Swarm Queen' Dornova?

While she was supposedly invited to the big meeting of Teragen leaders, Swarm Queen didn't actually show up, so we know less about her than the others.

I found the name super-evocative, and wonder what sort of powers she has. We know a little bit about her personality from a conversation with Alison 'Shrapnel' Somethingorother (too lazy to look it up...) and her reference to her nightclub in Moscow and it being a sort of 'hive' of which she is the queen, with lots of baselines working for her, and that she was once an Elite super-soldier, and so likely has combat-useful abilities.

My theories;

1) Homonculous level 4 or 5 and at least two dots of Mega-Strength, Mega-Stamina, Claws and Armor, so that even her little homonculous-dudes have 1 dot in each, making her split apart during a fight into a bunch of deadly little critters. The Armor and stuff may or may not be obvious, and grant her an insect-like appearance.

2) Bodymorph into an actual swarm form, hard to hurt and deadly to unarmored baselines, at least, through some sort of swarm damage. (Acid or poison would be an upgrade, but just flesh-eating beetle shredding would be sufficient to eat through unprotected people.)

3) Mega-Strength, Mega-Stamina, Armor and Claws, combined with Clone, so that she, again, becomes her own 'swarm,' in this case by sending a dozen or so relatively low-powered (by Elite standards) selves into the fray.

4) Not a literal swarm, she uses pheromones or an addictive touch to create a swarm of mind-controlled / dependent 'drones' from people affected by her powers, travelling with her own squad of baseline mercenaries, and taking over enemy soldiers in the field and turning them on each other. Domination, Hypnosis, and / or Mega-Social attributes would be key. She might be at least somewhat physically enhanced, but is primarily a minion-master, making her less obviously an elite.

What are your theories about this character, if any?

Actually these all seem viable for someone who's supposed to be invited to the pantheon. When i read what little there is about Swarm Queen I assumed that she was mostly a minion master as you put it. I didn't immediately think about using bodymorph to transform into a swarm of creatures being possible, so I figured she could control both insects and large masses of people (probably men) through the pheromones gimmick. I had a fleeting thought of her possessing winged flight and a variety of insect-themed powers, but there wasn't enough info to confirm anything about her.

Come to think of it, they had a lot of namedrop terats they never bothered to explain who were supposedly important. Someone called Penetrator in the teragen chatrooms, a Boom-Boom Harmon who was trying to oust Narcosis, a guy called Devian who they mention on one mission or another, and that Gauze person who actually had game art but no description of powers.

Comment

Honestly, the name makes me think of the main character from the webserial Worm, Taylor Hebert/Skitter. She had the power to control insects, which she used to devastating effect (e.g. asphyxiating a very powerful 'flying brick'-type by shoving bugs down her throat), so I can kind of imagine Natalya's power being some logical next step of Animal Mastery, allowing her to control and see through the eyes of animals over long distances, and also to use them in battle.

That said, of the ideas you proposed, I think I like the 4th best. Maybe her powers are Domination and Mega-Social as you said, plus Telepathy, and when she was an Elite she did a combination of leading soldiers or other Elites in a perfectly-coordinated 'swarm', on top of using her powers to subvert, confuse and turn the enemy against themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post
        Come to think of it, they had a lot of namedrop terats they never bothered to explain who were supposedly important. Someone called Penetrator in the teragen chatrooms, a Boom-Boom Harmon who was trying to oust Narcosis, a guy called Devian who they mention on one mission or another, and that Gauze person who actually had game art but no description of powers.
        Yeah, there was Reflex, the Penetrator and Gauze, mentioned at times, and also Rattler and the Feathered Serpent, from the 'rally in Mexico City,' which seemed intriguing as well.

But Swarm Queen just sort of leaped out at me as the most interesting of them, just based on what little we knew about her. (Along with Feathered Serpent.)

Originally posted by afj115
        That said, of the ideas you proposed, I think I like the 4th best. Maybe her powers are Domination and Mega-Social as you said, plus Telepathy, and when she was an Elite she did a combination of leading soldiers or other Elites in a perfectly-coordinated 'swarm', on top of using her powers to subvert, confuse and turn the enemy against themselves.
        Yeah, that was a more subtle interpretation, and I like the idea of her being a bit of a mega-social powerhouse, even if that's already kind of Narcosis' thing, on the pantheon. There was a scene in a movie about psychics named Push, in which a mind-controller takes over a four man squad with guns and they all creepily turn and fire in unison at anyone she wants dead, which would make a neat sort of visual for a 'swarm queen' that turns people into drones and folds them into her 'hive.'

OTOH, a female Terat leader who is physically aberrant in form, and not 'pretty,' being more like Leviathan or Geryon, with a less-human appearance and less able to 'pass' (again, less like Narcosis, or Sin-Eater), is also a neat twist, since comic-books in general tend to keep 'ugly' mutations limited to the dudes, while the ladies all have 'pretty' mutations.

Comment

Working...
        X