Aberrant War Gun Removal / Into the Badlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aberrant War Gun Removal / Into the Badlands

So I just binged watched Into the Badlands on Netflix and absolutely loved it. I do thing there are some gaps in geography and history but that said the fights are fun and the set up interesting.

I especially like the set up of the Badlands with its seven Baron territories and the natee of the society.

The powers represented by the Gifted is also interesting, especially in how those highly trained can use it to power technology. Imagine taking it to the next level and instead of using coal and oil they use Chi energy.

The one thing that intrigued me the not is the lack of guns. Now the truth is that it's clearly a setting conceit on how it's gone but it made me think on the possibilities.

Including the idea of a quantum power or event which could make guns not work. Which then led me to wondering how such a thing could occur.

So I was wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this element or others.

While I'm not a fan of getting rid of guns because it strongly limits character options, I could see the world of Eden, settled by Novas, being a no-gun-zone. If the planet has no large predators, capable of threatening the human colonists, and a strong enough agricultural base (perhaps initially gotten off the ground by Novas with relevant powers, like plant control), then it could be argued that the human colonists wouldn't have any use for guns, other than killing each other, or shooting at their Nova 'benevolent overlords,' some of whom likely aren't bulletproof.

So that would be a place where a gunless society could exist, although the presence of Nova overlords (and, presumably, their human supervisors), would make it quite different than Into the Badlands, in other particulars.

The search for / mentoring of young people who could erupt with Nova powers (and whatever sort of status might come with finding such children, or that various individual Novas might garner from having more or less such new Novas under their wing) could mirror the search for (and squabbling to control) the black-eyed children with power, in the show.

Creating a section on Nova earth where there are no guns seems harder to handle, since the zone would have to be more or less a voluntary association, to survive the outside world trying to meddle in it's business. (Any notion that there's an area where the people aren't allowed guns because the Nova overlords have forbidden them seem likely to get subject to some sort of Utopia-backed UN intervention, since it's bad precedent and counter to Utopia's goals of having people not be afraid of Novas.)

Comment

I am not sure what level of quantum you'd need to make a "dies the Fire" zone, but people would probably work around that with different types of projectiles especially with Talents, Novas and Psychics out there.

The Dune solution might be an option, a nova makes personal forcefields that make bullets obsolette and sufficiently cheap but because of the speed issue swords could pierce it.

Comment

Also, to be a little precise and asinine, it's not personal firearms per se that make things problematic for unarmed or melee users, we had them working together fine for about 3-4 centuries. Quickload, repeating and automatic fire, developments that came to be about the mid-19th century (more or less) were the real dividers.

And even then there's some room to play with if one takes out machine guns, assault rifles and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
          Also, to be a little precise and asinine, it's not personal firearms per se that make things problematic for unarmed or melee users, we had them working together fine for about 3-4 centuries. Quickload, repeating and automatic fire, developments that came to be about the mid-19th century (more or less) were the real dividers.

And even then there's some room to play with if one takes out machine guns, assault rifles and such.
          One of the cooler bits from an old TORG module came from a "battle" between a motorcycle gang armed with pistols, shotguns and submachines against a unit of Victorians (think late 19th century British soldiers armed with rifles). Modern guns emphasize rate of fire. Older guns emphasized range. The MC gang got slaughtered before they got halfway to long-range for their weapons.
          Last edited by johntfs; 10-16-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johntfs View Post

One of the cooler bits from an old TORG module came from a "battle" between a motorcycle gang armed with pistols, shotguns and submachines against a unit of Victorians (think late 19th century British soldiers armed with rifles). Modern guns emphasize rate of fire. Older guns emphasized range. The MC gang got slaughtered before they halfway to long-range for their weapons.

An interesting moment for certain - that as an aside, makes me think of how a longbowmen vs riflemen scenario might go out too.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post

An interesting moment for certain - that as an aside, makes me think of how a longbowmen vs riflemen scenario might go out too.
              I can't really do real-life, but in TORG terms, Long range for a Longbow was 300 meters. Long-range for a Lee-Hollings Rifle (the standard longarm of Victorian soldiers) was 1500 meters, while its medium range was 300 meters. Long range for UZIs and Mac-10s was something like 40-60 meters. And that's why you don't screw with the Victorians unless you're right up on them. Because they will snipe your ass dead.

Comment

Locally, it would be a challenge, but if you're looking at a global lack of firearms, it gets simpler.
                "Due to a lack of easily obtained and refines chemicals, making gunpowder is prohibitively expensive."
                Doesn't stop them from existing, but makes them exceedingly rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Baladain View Post
                  Locally, it would be a challenge, but if you're looking at a global lack of firearms, it gets simpler.
                  "Due to a lack of easily obtained and refines chemicals, making gunpowder is prohibitively expensive."
                  Doesn't stop them from existing, but makes them exceedingly rare.
                  Piggy backing on this to emphasize that this isn't just for the gunpowder. The infrastructure needed to reliably produce semi-automatic and automatic weapons en masse is fairly complex as well.

It takes exact machining, as well as a steady supply of quality raw materials, which is a feat in and of itself.

Combine that level of societal collapse (present in the show) with a societal armistice (also present in the show) and the setting is fairly believable in my opinion. Then throwing Aberrant fuel on this fire, all you would need is them using quantum to foul the most abundant source of high quality raw ingredients for propellant. So instead of some persistent "no gun field" several hurtles have been put in the way of making small arms a viable option. Add the delta of time for any extant stockpiles to be decreased, and you are good.

Only wrinkle could be the Aberrants with Mega-Int accelerating societies recovery of technology, but it could be that the Abbies just GTFO after making Earth FUBAR.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post

Creating a section on Nova earth where there are no guns seems harder to handle, since the zone would have to be more or less a voluntary association, to survive the outside world trying to meddle in it's business. (Any notion that there's an area where the people aren't allowed guns because the Nova overlords have forbidden them seem likely to get subject to some sort of Utopia-backed UN intervention, since it's bad precedent and counter to Utopia's goals of having people not be afraid of Novas.)

Why does this section have to take place on Nova/Prime Earth? The concept of other dimension is now pretty explicit in terms of the Aeonverse. We mentioned Time and Crosstime Travel in another thread. But there no real reason Aeon (or somebody) could find (or build or accidentally create) a portal into other dimension. Calling Stargate: SG-Aeon. That way you have your group go "Into the Badlands" for a bit but still come back to Earth later and maybe go somewhere/somewhen else.

Comment

Working...
                    X