Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Meeting 23/04/18: Aberrant 2e in first drafts

It's baaaaack...

Aberrant 2e showed up in the first draft stage on the project list in this week's Monday Meeting blog post.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

It's gonna be greatest!

Comment

Good news.

Comment

That's amazing. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Comment

I'm more than super excited for this, you could say I'm Mega-Excited

Comment

I'm very aroused.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Already working on costume design

Comment

So out of curiosity, what sort of game is Aberrant, I mean superhero has always said to me masked vigilante with superpowers (not really my thing), but i figure aberrant isn't quite that?

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post
                  So out of curiosity, what sort of game is Aberrant, I mean superhero has always said to me masked vigilante with superpowers (not really my thing), but i figure aberrant isn't quite that?
                  The best way to describe it, for me, would be that Aberrant is an attempt to explore what could happen if people with superpowers started appearing in the near-future. Supers as celebrities, supers as mercenaries, supers as aid workers, supers as technological innovators, supers as supremacists... the various ways people with superpowers might engage with the modern world.

(The concept is a strand of supers media that's developed more in the years since Aberrant first came out.)

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Have I mentioned how happy I am that Steve Kenson is writing it?

Manifesting powers in the world of Aberrant instantly turns you into a celebrity, larger than life (literally, in some cases): unless you take active measures to avoid it, you're going to have sponsors who make you rich and fans (and anti-fans) drawn to you by your fame. “Masked vigilante” generally isn't on the agenda, although exceptions exist.

Comment

Everything I've read or found about hum makes me think Steve Kenson was the absolutely perfect person for it. Both professionally, his previous writings, and personally, I like what I've read about him as person.

Plus he wrote for 1e which means connection.

Basically it's a full win.

Comment

Originally posted by ahather View Post

With the caveat that things in the new edition won't be the same as 1st edition, here's how Aberrant 1e rolled:

Aberrant was more of a deconstructivist take on the supers genre. That sort of thing's more common now, but at the time it was pretty novel. I've described it as being sort of if X-Men took place in the universe of Watchmen.

If you have super-powers -- in the parlance of the game, you erupt as a nova -- you're instantly a celebrity. The E! Entertainment network has its own spin-off, N!, specifically for covering novas, and it breaks all viewer records. Toy companies go after you for action figure license deals. Some novas do the expected and join a super-team like Aeon's "Team Tomorrow," or become licensed "municipal defenders" hired by a city to become their sort of mascot/protector. Others might be super-charismatic and become pop superstars, or be super-intelligent and get hired by Microsoft. There's a new wrestling federation composed of novas beating the super-powered crap out of each other. No one wants to watch baselines in the ring when you can watch Superbeast and Duke "Core" Baron trying to pound each other into submission in a pool of lava. The Teragen are the "Magneto was right" organization who believes novas are an evolution of humanity and thus not beholden to baseline humanity's laws.

The tagline of the game was "what would you do with the power of a god?" And that doesn't just mean super-powers: you have your own legion of followers. To borrow from Spider-Man, with great power comes great responsibility: when you can do anything you want, what are you going to do?
                        Last edited by IanWatson; 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM.

Ian A. A. Watson
                        Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

My group and I love Aberrant for so many reasons, including those already mentioned, so I’ll add some more:

The colour in-character 96 pages providing a great setting & timeline overview. I appreciate that RPGs like Marvel or DC Comics can reference a crazy amount of comics to convey setting and plot, but Aberrant achieved this well enough in the core rulebook. A tiny point but worth noting that colour was rare in an RPG at this time, so having a gorgeous book helped

The global scale of the setting. The introduction references events from all around the Earth, and as the game was expanded this global focus persisted.

Since I was a fan of Trinity I had a lot of fun figuring out how things would roughly develop, and interesting ways the players could change things. I appreciate this could be classed as cheating, since Trinity is a separate game, but I guess it was a bonus factor for many groups.

Although many Supers games have interesting big plots, Aberrant tackled questions about power in many ways, not just the individual vs the state, social/political responsibility, but the cost of power itself. The game had an inbuilt time bomb in regards to rising Taint (power corrupting) and aberrations (inc. mental disorders) were a powerful story focus. Of course this all depends on what a group focuses on, whether you wanted to tweak the taint rules. As a big fan of the Realms of Chaos from Warhammer I do love characters with creeping corruption dilemmas ;-)

I loved figuring the answers to questions like: given how dark the plot could go what type of game my players preferred? Whether they could delay or even cure Taint?

In short Aberrant did not shy away from bigger things and felt more indepth than other Supers games

Comment

Working...
                          X