Nova Inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Inspiration

So, I thought I'd start a thread where people can post characters that could serve as good inspiration for nova characters. Not necessarily PCs, but just characters in general. I'll start us off:

Boros - One Punch Man
    So, Boros is a near-godlike alien that's clearly a parody of Dragonball Z villains, a super-powerful being obsessed with combat, but who has become so powerful that no opponents can match him. I could see him as a Quantum 8 or maybe 9 nova who's accumulated large amounts of taint, but hasn't (quite yet) gone full Aberrant. His aberrations include his single eye, his obession with combat, the instability of his power that means he has to wear a suit of armor to restrain it most of the time and really most of the rest of his appearance.

Normal form:

Unleashed form

I've been working on a Nova NPC concept for the new edition, given the somewhat brighter setting. This one could be taken as an antagonist or at least neutral party, depending on ones leanings

"Anon": I Am The Network

Ever seen a movie or tv show or read a book where a hacker pulls of stunts that are just ludicrous and really should not be possible at all? That's this person. It's not really ever been seen, but it's effects are felt, as security databases and data mining operations periodically take a partial or full purge down to bare metal of their data, causing the crash of several social media services or rethinking of their business models. What little is known is that Anon does seem to take an interest in social media in particular, occasionally leaving cryptic remarks before it strikes. Anon seems to have a pronounced dislike for social media mob 'take downs' of individuals (the political stance of the individual seems irrelevant), and many have found their accounts deactivated, deleted, or otherwise scrambled for several days It seems to do this without any particular pattern except for those who take the time to research it's behavior.

After a bit of work, organization can discover the following:

1. Anon values the Individual over the Group
    2. Anon has a very nasty habit of doing data dumps on people who go out of thier way to make peoples lives miserable. Usually rather creatively and in ways that cannot be covered up.
    3. Anon seems indifferent to Project Utopia/Aeon Foundation, Teragen, or government agencies. It actively seems to go out of it's way to annoy the last set of parties and has little respect for them or their authority.

No one has ever seen Anon that they are aware of

Comment

I love Bodymorph, it's probably my most used power in design. (And I love 'body of' characters in comics, like Colossus (body of metal) or Absorbing Man (body of *anything*) or various body of energy types like Black Vulcan, Living Lightning, Lazon or Monica Rambeau.

The fun is to make them different, since I re-use the idea so much.

So here's some ideas for 'Bodymorph (stone)' that are pretty different from each other;

1) 'Stone Fox,' this young woman is inspired by a character I'd intended for the Marvel universe. In that setup, she got her super-strong and tough granite body from exposure to the Grey Gargoyle, a villain who can turn people into stone with his touch, and himself into an animate stone version. Transferring her to Aberrant, I didn't want her to just be able to turn to stone (Bodymorph 5 (solid; Density Increase (fixed) 2, Armor 2, Claws (armor piercing) 1), but also be able to create 'stone foxes' by animating stone into a form that had stats similar to a wolf. It would be a much more limited version of a standard animation power, since she can only create 'stone foxes' and not animate anything into anything, but, as 'new powers' go, pretty easy to handle. As time progresses, they'll be able to create more (or larger!) 'stone foxes,' and become less of a 'tank' and more of a 'minion-maker,' perhaps even eventually animating a 'stone fox' the size of the Sphinx, in Egypt, if they ever reach ridiculous Quantum Six endgame power levels!
      Inspiration: the Grey Gargoyle.

2) Stheno. Fascinated by Greek mythology, this student erupted into a form reminiscent of the mythical gorgons, three sisters (Euryale, Stheno and Medusa). She isn't hideous, but instead kind of beautiful, in a rough-hewn 'department store mannequin' sort of way, in her stony form. Her dreadlocks look vaguely like 'serpents for hair,' and she has wings, when transformed, so that her Bodymorph includes a level of Flight, replacing one level of Armor. (The GM might not go for that, in which case she'll have to purchase Flight outside of the Bodymorph, and just have the standard array that Stone Fox has.) Her standout power is her 'petrifying gaze,' which uses Immobilize as it's base. A stony coating covers the person she affects with her Immobilize, and must be broken away to free them. She wears sunglasses to 'protect people from her gaze,' but that's an affectation, and her power only goes off when she wants it to. She'll eventually have, if she can't afford to start, Mega-Stamina and Adaptability, and I like the idea of her eventually being able to take the 'Permanant' Strength on her Immobilize, so that if someone can't break free, they are stuck in her stony bonds, as well as some sort of 'Affects Others' option for her Adaptability, so that a 'petrified' person becomes immune to effects like hunger or thirst or progressive affliction from poison or radiation, almost as if they had been 'turned to stone,' (or, in this case, so encased with stone that they are no longer affected by external environmental conditions). This would, potentially, have a funky sort of utility effect allowing her to use her Immobilize on a civilian to save them from a hostile environmental situation (dragging people out of a burning building, with the immobilize effect already providing protection and soak, and now also protecting them from smoke and heat, for instance, counting on her increased strength in stone bodymorph (from the Density Increase) to allow her to carry the (presumably heavier) Immobilized civilians).
      Inspiration: Greek mythology.

3) Champion. A medieval recreationist with an interest in alchemy, tarot, etc. this individual erupted while being struck by a sword by an overzealous fellow rennfaire enthusiast, surprised when the metal blade clanged off of their now stone-hard flesh. Add to the standard Bodymorph (stone) array, a dot each of Flight (works underwater), Quantum Bolt (fire) and Mega-Stamina (Adaptability), to represents the 'gifts' of the other three elements (of air, fire and water), and you've got a sort of elemental-array 'knight.' With a Tarot fascination, the character would say things like 'The Ace of Wands sends a gift of fire' when using their fiery quantum bolt, or 'The Knight of Swords cleaves my path through the sky' when taking flight. (Wands being associated with Fire, Swords with Air, Pentacles/Coins with Earth and Cups with Water.)
      Inspiration: The Elementals (Comico, four people empowered by the four classical elements of Air, Earth, Fire and Water).

4) I haven't settled on a name for this one, but they transform into diamond-like crystal. Standard Bodymorph array, with a much weakened Matter Creation power that allows them only to create objects of crystal (and no devices at all, not even simple ones). Eventually other crystal themed effects like Imprison (in crystal bonds) would also develop, as well as some Mega-Mental attributes, as their mind grows increasingly 'crystalline.' This one I see as headed towards a Protectors / Daedalus League direction, being a scientist (mineralogist, erupted in a diamond mine collapse in South Africa) even before their eruption, and racking up a little bit of Taint while attempting to use their Matter Creation power to create unique crystals, able to resonate with each other at a distance (providing long-range communication) through a form of quantum entanglement, or having other physics-defying effects, like negating some of the effects of gravity on themselves (causing them to float), but releasing this energy as light (causing them to glow). They'll end up with a permanently low Willpower, since you have to spend permanent Willpower to make Matter Creations permanent, but if they (or other mega-intelligent Novas) can make synthesize and replicate some of their practical applications, then, like Anibal Buendia and his Eufiber, they can possibly change the world (or create crystals that make terraforming or long-term space travel more feasible, in the case of the Protector / Daedalus League direction they are headed in).
      Inspiration: Kole (Teen Titans), Crystal Kid (Legion Academy), Kystalin (X-Men 2099), Anibal Buendia.

And so, from one basic concept, 'chick (dude) who turns to stone,' it's not hard to come up with some fairly different variations on the theme. I *could* mash some of them together, at least somewhat, and it's not hard to imagine that crystal-spinner (inspired by characters like Kole, Crystal Kid and Krystalin, from the comics) could form crystal wings or crystal bonds like Stheno, or animate crystal creatures like Stone Fox, it's kind of fun to diversify the ideas. (And Champion, with added powers of air, fire and water, and a more mystical theme, definitely stands out among the others.)

Last edited by Ian Turner; 05-20-2018, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Pretty much everyone in My Hero Academia, I think. I've honestly no idea how to properly stat out someone like All Might though.

I've been trying to figure out how to do something like Flex Mentalo from Doom Patrol since Aberrant originally game out, but have never been able to work anything to my satisfaction. He may just be too metatextually weird for the game's default genre.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
          Pretty much everyone in My Hero Academia, I think. I've honestly no idea how to properly stat out someone like All Might though.
          Maybe you could link high levels of mega-strength, mega-dexterity and mega-stamina, to a Bodymorph power (his All Might form) via a Required Power weakness (from the Player's Guide), and then have the Bodymorph itself incorporate the other stuff, like Quantum Blast (his air-pressure Smashes) and Hypermovement (running)?

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            5 dots of Mega-Strength (with the Quantum Leap and Thunderclap enhancements), 3-5 dots of Mega-Stamina and a dot or two of Armor would probably work fine for All-Might.

I'm a nut for the dude with the rocket legs. He'd be funkier to stat. Hypermovement, sure, but his super-kicks seem more effective than just a Hyperspeed Strike flavored as a kick, almost like he has a dot of Mega-Strength, but it only applies to his rocket-assisted kicks.

One neat thing about My Hero Academia is that some of the characters are so original compared to 'normal' superheroes. Every setting or game has even the obscure powers like touching stuff and turning into it (Absorbing Man, Amazing Man, Grunge, etc.), or even funkier powers like anatomical separation or 'matter-eating,' but rocket legs? Shooting tape from your elbows? Wow. A game based on that setting could be funky, and a 'superteam' could have powers like 'Explosive Rocket Brain' or 'Wi-Fi Nervous System' instead of the old standbys like weather control or shapeshifting into animals or telepathy or 'generic Superman powers.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post

5 dots of Mega-Strength (with the Quantum Leap and Thunderclap enhancements), 3-5 dots of Mega-Stamina and a dot or two of Armor would probably work fine for All-Might.

I'm a nut for the dude with the rocket legs. He'd be funkier to stat. Hypermovement, sure, but his super-kicks seem more effective than just a Hyperspeed Strike flavored as a kick, almost like he has a dot of Mega-Strength, but it only applies to his rocket-assisted kicks.

One neat thing about My Hero Academia is that some of the characters are so original compared to 'normal' superheroes. Every setting or game has even the obscure powers like touching stuff and turning into it (Absorbing Man, Amazing Man, Grunge, etc.), or even funkier powers like anatomical separation or 'matter-eating,' but rocket legs? Shooting tape from your elbows? Wow. A game based on that setting could be funky, and a 'superteam' could have powers like 'Explosive Rocket Brain' or 'Wi-Fi Nervous System' instead of the old standbys like weather control or shapeshifting into animals or telepathy or 'generic Superman powers.'
              Boku no Hero is good at that. My personal favourite is 'Uravity's' power, the ability to just remove gravity's effect on something. There's just so may useful things you can do with that.

Regarding weird and ideosyncratic powers, though, the webserial Worm and its sequel Ward bears mention, I think. There's some powers in that one which aren't very interesting (Alexandria comes to mind - she's a fast flyer, invulnerable and super-strong, along with a minor mental enhancement) but there's a lot that are. For example, there's Glory Girl, who appears to have the standard flight-super strength-invulnerability triad, but in fact all of that comes from her ability to create a skintight forcefield which blinks out for a moment after taking a strong hit, or Parian, who has telekinesis which only functions on fibers - thread, cloth and so on. There's Faultline, who can make cracks in inorganic materials she can touch, or the unfortunately-named Skidmark, who can lay down and layer 'fields' which exert pressure in a single direction. The main character's power is insect control, which she
              uses to take over a city, kill Alexandria and, with some tweaks, kill an eldritch god.
              Last edited by ajf115; 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Marvel has a character with 'textile' telekinesis (which sounds like a pun on Conner Kent's 'tactile telekinesis') named Gypsy Moth or Skein. That's kind of a fun power to work with, even if it does lead to a lot of nudity.

The weirdest power I saw was in the show Misfits, some dude had lactokinesis, and could telekinetically manipulate milk.
                He got ignored for having a crappy power, and went on a killing spree, using the dairy in people's stomachs to kill them...

It occurs to me that I short-changed All-Might. He (and his acolyte) are using the power of the All-Might to do ranged effects much more potent than Thunderclap, and even using it to power block incoming attacks, so I'd just straight up give him a dot of Quantum Bolt, defined as channeling his strength into a force blast / explosion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post
                  Marvel has a character with 'textile' telekinesis (which sounds like a pun on Conner Kent's 'tactile telekinesis') named Gypsy Moth or Skein. That's kind of a fun power to work with, even if it does lead to a lot of nudity.
                  She's a long time favorite of mine, and on my top ten list of villains who should've appeared on Agents of SHIELD.

As for All-Might, he seems to have Mega-Charisma as well.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                  Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

One of my favorite types of character in games like D&D or Pathfinder is the cleric or 'buffer' or 'healer,' and as a source of inspiration for super-heroes, it can be a hard slog, sometimes.

Many super-hero games have a Healing power, but 'buffing' powers seem rarer. I'd love, for instance, someone able to generate a life support field of some sort, such as a bubble of air and environmental control that allows them to protect a group of people from the effects of a raging wildfire, or even ferry people out of a faltering space shuttle to the ground. Some sort of area effect flight power would also be a good fit for this sort of character. Group teleportation, through powers like Warp, is pretty easy to arrange, but group Flight, or other forms of group transport, are not quite so common.

Another 'support' option would be someone able to turn into mist, not just themselves, but others, having some sort of affects others bodymorph (flight 1, density decrease 3, shroud 1) would be super-expensive, but handy for getting allies into position, or evacuating civilians from a sinking ship or burning building or whatever.

Icons, another of the many superhero RPGs that Steve Kenson has worked on, has a 'passengers' extra for Flight, which neatly allows this sort of thing, but Aberrant seems less friendly to the concept, as it costs full power activate a power like flight, invisibility or bodymorph on someone else (and the extra itself increases the cost for both the characters personal use, and the affects other uses), and the duration could be as short as less than a minute, if it's a risky situation.

Even offensive powers could have 'buffing' utility, in some cases. Someone able to turn enemies into stone (or crystal, gold, whatever) could render people immune to a harmful environment, or allow them to survive in the case of affliction (like disease, poison or some other continuing progressive condition, like bleeding wounds), while someone able to shrink other people could make them easier to carry out of danger, or able to phase / density decrease other people could allow them to walk out of a dangerous area, passing through walls or dangerous forces as 'ghosts.'

I've had several versions of these characters, back in the day. 'Exile' was a permanently incorporeal character who had the power to make other people incorporeal, and then beat them up (since he was tougher than normal in his incorporeal state, although unable to otherwise affect the material world). 'Wee' was a Tinkerbell-like faerie able to shrink others, and while she retained full-size strength in her (permanently) shrunken state, people she shrank had appropriately reduced strength. (And she also could, like Tinkerbell, grant limited Flight to people she sprinkled with her faerie dust, or render them invisible, or cause them to hallucinate images of her design, or communicate with each other mystically, despite not having a shared language, making her an all-purpose sort of ally.)

I'd love for a new version of Aberrant to include some cost-effective options to share one's abilities, or provide team transport other than Warp, or provide utility, like shared invisibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X