Sentinels and Guides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sentinels and Guides

There was an old show called The Sentinel which had the idea of Sentienls, indivduals with enhanced sense abilities, and Guides, indivduals who helped to balance and well guide the senses of the Sentinel. Over the years fandom has basiclaly expanded the few seasons worth of information about them into this huge vast complex setting with spirit animals and empathy and tribes and Sentinel and Guide Centers and such. In fact fandom has foudn ways to make characters from hundreds of diofferent shows into Sentinel and Guide, because one is physical and one is mental and that is a common trope.

Honestly, using the rules of the Trinity Continum I would love to find ways to create a mechanical template for allowing characters with said status and the powers they may gain from it. The phsyical senses for Sentinels plus some body control and enahncement powers and maybe things to help deal with animals better. The mental abilities for Guides, up to including empathy and maybe telepathjy with advanced training. Additional common powers both get by being of their nature as wlel as some special powers those that bond can take.

I will say I took the basic idea and has expanded it a bit - there are three categories rather than two; those of Body, those of Mind, and those of Spirit. For every Body there is a Mind, and vis versa, while those with Spirit connect with etherial entities and so don't need another human to modulate their abilities. Those of Spirit have a bit more esoteric abilities which can sometimes seem similar to thhose of the Mind but are a bit different. I haven't gone all out on figuring out what sort of powers they have in detail, though I wouldn't mind doing such a thing at some point.

Anyway I wanted to post this because I have long found the idea of them really interesting and think it would be cool to 'manipulate' the Trinity setting so that the lower level of abilities are like this and such. Just wanted to share and see if anybody else has knoweldge of this and would like to talk about it. hehe

The Sentinel seemed like a fuzzy place between the first level of Auspex, and some sorts of Clairsentience abilities. I liked the show quite a bit, although I never really felt like the 'Guide' had any sort of abilities, other than to keep the Sentinel grounded and focused, when his extreme levels of perception might overwhelm or distract him. (There may have been more overt spiritual elements later in the show, but I kind of lost the thread of it over time, and by the time Jeri Ryan showed up as a second Sentinel with some sort of jaguar theme, my interest in the show was pretty much over.)

It might, game-mechanics-wise, work even better in a system like Mutants & Masterminds (or even Icons), which can get a little more in-depth into the whole realm of 'super-senses,' and are, as superhero games, less tied into a specific setting or tone. At the very least, those sorts of games might be useful places to poach ideas from.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post
      The Sentinel seemed like a fuzzy place between the first level of Auspex, and some sorts of Clairsentience abilities. I liked the show quite a bit, although I never really felt like the 'Guide' had any sort of abilities, other than to keep the Sentinel grounded and focused, when his extreme levels of perception might overwhelm or distract him. (There may have been more overt spiritual elements later in the show, but I kind of lost the thread of it over time, and by the time Jeri Ryan showed up as a second Sentinel with some sort of jaguar theme, my interest in the show was pretty much over.)
      I agree with you 100%. The show itself made it seem that while the Sentinel was special the 'guide' was just someone who they trusted. BUTTTTT fandom took that concept and made the Guide just as special, just as metanormal. They then took that special talent and shifted it even more, adding special traits and cultural aspects and a whole slew of things. Things that only existed in the show as an off the cuff random mention or joke but now became something more.

Which is an interesting thing all on its own, a power of fandom and such. hehe

As an aside, I did the same - I watched the show at its start (in rerun form) but stopped enjoying it at its later parts, for all that I love what fandom did.

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post
      It might, game-mechanics-wise, work even better in a system like Mutants & Masterminds (or even Icons), which can get a little more in-depth into the whole realm of 'super-senses,' and are, as superhero games, less tied into a specific setting or tone. At the very least, those sorts of games might be useful places to poach ideas from.
      Hmm, interesting. Will have to look into that as a potential source of interesting fluff and mechanics for what I am looking at.

Thanks for the comment, I'm glad that at least one other knows what I am talking about with this show. hehe

Comment

Sentinels were part of my inspiration for Talents, at least insofar as the earlier episodes go, before they introduced the spirit animal, communication with ghosts, and so on, and without the fandom Guides. Sandburg's useful, but he's probably not a Talent.

The easiest way to duplicate a Sentinel is to purchase all four versions of the the Keen Sense Edge from page 58 of the preview PDF, but your mileage may vary.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
          Sentinels were part of my inspiration for Talents, at least insofar as the earlier episodes go, before they introduced the spirit animal, communication with ghosts, and so on, and without the fandom Guides. Sandburg's useful, but he's probably not a Talent.

The easiest way to duplicate a Sentinel is to purchase all four versions of the the Keen Sense Edge from page 58 of the preview PDF, but your mileage may vary.
          Honestly, thanka for sharing this. I love hearing the inspiration for things especially when they are from random I know.

It's also really cool how you thought about it, and know the way that fandom took Sandburg and made him a capital-G Guide.

I'm with you on the whole spirit animal slash ghost thing. It seemed out there in a nor so make sense level. But I'm pretty sure rhge show jumped the shark at the end.

Honestly your comment about Sandburg and the spirit stuff is why i sort of self-organized them a bit more, adds some abilities, and created a third category rated to the spirit.

But yeah good stuff. Thanks for commenting!

Comment

Working...
          X