Storypath & Time Travel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storypath & Time Travel

I really hope Ian tackles time travel in a Continuum book. I've been watching 12 Monkeys on Syfy and really want to tackle a game like that. I don't know if I could handle the way everything intersects and crosses throughout time but I'd like to try.

Well, I can't speak for Ian, but I think the Trinity line is tailor made for time travel based games. I've run a couple of time travel based games myself, and I think there are two main things to keep in mind:

1) Know the rules for time travel at your table. By that I mean things like can event be changed, can you erase yourself with a paradox, etc. When you think too much about time travel as a concept it almost always falls apart. But, so long as you can keep narative consistency in how you tell your time travel story the game can maintain internal logic and allow the players to anticipate the impacts of their actions.

2) As cool as a heavilly intertwined story like 12 Monkeys can be I've found it hard to pull off in a game. Time travel stories can work because the writter can know everything in advance. When setting up your interlocking events keep them as broad as possible in your mind. If you can have the predestined events occur in multiple ways you'll be better equipped for when your players do something you never expected, and it'll make you look really clever when it appears that everything fell into palce like some tightly scripted narrative.

Following those two guidelines I've had relative success with time travel story. Time travel/alternate reality stories are some of my favorites and the longer any game I run goes the more likely it is that there will be a major time travel plot.

Have fun, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by karpomatic View Post
      I really hope Ian tackles time travel in a Continuum book.
      We have a prominent canon character who can time travel (ish). Time travel is a common and popular trope of a lot of the genres we're trying to emulate here. It'd be a shame if I never got to cover it.

Ian A. A. Watson
      Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

We have a prominent canon character who can time travel (ish). Time travel is a common and popular trope of a lot of the genres we're trying to emulate here. It'd be a shame if I never got to cover it.

Oh, I know. He's got that whole Bill & Ted style time travel where time is still moving no matter when he is. This line is the one I've been waiting on the most from OPP. I know you feel the same.

Comment

Working...
        X