Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A glimpse of the Aberrant future, re: spoilers,please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A glimpse of the Aberrant future, re: spoilers,please?

So, is there anything those of us who backed the Scion Kickstarter could potentially extrapolate from there and make a guess as to how Novas will work?

Also, can anyone in the know just flat-out tell us how it's going to work?

Obviously, Tiers are going to be used in place of Mega-Attributes, which is a welcome relief if the Tiers for Mental and Social Attributes are explained clearly enough. Epic Physicals are easy enough to figure out; high-Tier Mental and Social capabilities are going to need some consideration and explanations. But I expect that we can deduce quite a few of those from the Sage and Lover Callings, with a few of the others also being noteworthy.

Obviously, we'll have a three-stage Background process to sort out skills and such, one of which will be devoted to the Eruption process. I wonder if that Eruption phase can be boosted up a Tier just as the basic concept of a Scion can? It would make sense, as it would make sense for Novas to be able to have Calling-like powers.

I imagine that the powers a nova possesses will also function like an umbrella for Knacks and Boon-like abilities that can only be used with Quantum. This allows character customization with a bit more free-form power approach. I also imagine that quantum will function much like Legend in Scion does, with a maximum of so many Quantum tied to the Quantum level. This makes Quantum points a bit more valuable than they were during first edition, and not just record-keeping. This also makes resource strategy a bit more important.

I think Taint this time around will be a more voluntary thing to use when your Nova needs some extra Quantum, much like Fatebinding is in Scion. That is something I find that I can live with.

I am wondering how Powers will work. My best guess is we'll get a bunch of Power-specific Knacks and Boons to better customize Powers with, but will we also be able to take "quirks" or something that will limit Powers and maybe get some sort of cost rebate, or something similar as compensation?

How will Invulnerability work this time around? It seemed like a go-to Power picked up by everyone just because. I wonder if there will be some sort of economy at work to keep players more conservative in their choices. I certainly see that at work in Scion; if you want to be good at a Purview, it's best to concentrate on it so that you can put you available Boons in it. Spreading yourself around makes you a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none.

Speaking of economies, will it be feasible to do my Swiss-army Nova, who concentrated on Mega-Atts in first edition? I always wanted to do that, but there was a concern that they'd get smeared into paste by other Novas who bought high-damage and high-defense Powers.

Comment

While both use the Storypath system, Scion and Aberrant have quite different assumptions beneath their powers and considerations. I don’t think there’s a lot about how Aberrant works that can be extrapolated from Scion.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
      WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
        While both use the Storypath system, Scion and Aberrant have quite different assumptions beneath their powers and considerations. I don’t think there’s a lot about how Aberrant works that can be extrapolated from Scion.

I know, but nonetheless I have a good feeling about the similarity in Taint and Fatebinding in this edition. I'm just wasting time pointlessly speculating because I'm in this primarily for Aberrant.

But let it be known, what I've seen regarding Talents and Psions is pretty damn snazzy this time around. I was especially pleasantly surprised by Psions, in that having a diverse group of them pooling their resources adds some cool benefits. I was hoping they were going to find a way to do that during first edition, and I'm glad they hardwired it into second. I'd actually happily play a Psion this time around. I would not have said that during the first edition.

Comment

Oh. I thought maybe this could be a thread for some tiny but fun Aberrant spoiler to make us smile.

Also I'm pretty sure a lot of novas would be erupting in this political and social climate we have right now.

Also Steve the designer is awesome and I'm looking forward to his, and his team's, work!

Comment

Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post

But let it be known, what I've seen regarding Talents and Psions is pretty damn snazzy this time around. I was especially pleasantly surprised by Psions, in that having a diverse group of them pooling their resources adds some cool benefits. I was hoping they were going to find a way to do that during first edition, and I'm glad they hardwired it into second. I'd actually happily play a Psion this time around. I would not have said that during the first edition.
            I’m so glad to read that. 🙂

WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
              Oh. I thought maybe this could be a thread for some tiny but fun Aberrant spoiler to make us smile.

Also I'm pretty sure a lot of novas would be erupting in this political and social climate we have right now.

Also Steve the designer is awesome and I'm looking forward to his, and his team's, work!

I would love to give spoilers, but I’m not authorized to do so yet, and the NDA ninjas have my address!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

I would love to give spoilers, but I’m not authorized to do so yet, and the NDA ninjas have my address!

Do not piss off NDA ninjas, for they are subtle and quick to strike.

Ah well, I'll happily keep pointlessly speculating about Aberrant until it's time for spoilers to roam free. It still holds a special place in my gaming heart. And I'm quite heartened by the underlying system this time around.

do they still need any playtesting done? (He asked hopefully, knowing full well the answer was "no, thank you.")

Comment

My main hope is a way to customize and tweak Powers in this game. I admit that I got spoiled by making Wild Talents my default Aberrant system for awhile. In that game, they expect you to tweak the powers and not just pick it out of a cafeteria. But if the Knacks and Boons system of Purviews makes it to Aberrant, it'll make assembling a more distinct Power easier. In fact, it'd be easier to gradually upscale a Power that starts out limited but gains a greater breadth of uses over time, which I wonder if that's what they'll be going towards.

And another thing, of course, is to make Taint a player-focused thing rather than an arbitrary GM thing. I get the idea behind it, but I remember being sensitive to the first edition violating the division between player/GM duties, and allowing someone else to make a potentially profound change to my character that might shift it away from what I was envisioning. Fatebinding in Scion seems a bit more player-friendly in that it allows the player to make a critical choice. It may not seem like a difference, but to me it makes all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post
                    Also, can anyone in the know just flat-out tell us how it's going to work?
                    No. The core and Aeon aren't even out to the public yet; we're certainly not going to preview Aberrant material when the first two(!) core books haven't been seen yet, not to mention the first supplements (Aeon Aexpansion and In Media Res).

Aberrant will have to wait.

Ian A. A. Watson
                    Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

No. The core and Aeon aren't even out to the public yet; we're certainly not going to preview Aberrant material when the first two(!) core books haven't been seen yet, not to mention the first supplements (Aeon Aexpansion and In Media Res).

Aberrant will have to wait.
                      But, but, aren't we supposed to have every single possible supplement for the next five years arriving in our mailboxes right this very second? Isn't that how Kickstarter is supposed to work!?!

Yeah, no. No it isn't.

Comment

Aberrant will get released 2019, though. Yes?

Comment

As a gentle reminder, I know full well that they're not going to spoil anything for Aberrant yet, I just hate how that sounds and am trying to relieve my impatience by brainstorming how the game might possibly look. I know full-well it'll both look eerily like Aberrant 1st in some ways, but will not in the least resemble it in others. I know things have to happen in their own time before this game can exist.

Comment

I’m going to counter part of the above statement I hope with everything that they Do Not Use That Stupid Tier System for Aberrant. Mega Stats are important for a Superhero type game the tier system just will not work right. You have mega strength but are you but are you Hulk strong, Thor strong, or Spider-Man Strong in this setting this is important. Also Novas are supposed a Superman type Hero’s Scions can’t lift Tanks or Battleships some Novas are supposed to be able to strength is their main power. I would agree the the power Tier is alright for Scion but please don’t think it’ll work for Aberrant

Comment

On rpg.net Ian Watson wrote that the Aberrant kickstarter should start next year at the same time of the Aeon one, so February or March.

Comment

Working...
                              X