Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A glimpse of the Aberrant future, re: spoilers,please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whether Batman is best represented as a Talent, a Stalwart (used here as general term for Tier 2 Eximorph), or a Nova who just invested in less overt powers, really just depends on the portrayal of Batman you are going with. Because he varies WILDLY depending on the era, who is writing him, the genre of the specific story, whether it’s his own title in Gotham, or a Justice League comic, etc etc.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-26-2018, 10:01 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Kickstarter James View Post

It could be fun to maybe showcase some "Not Quite Marvel" and "Not Quite DC" heroes during the kickstarter to show off the system! I like this idea.

Sounds like a good opportunity to update the "Second-Story Man" sample character from Aberrant: Underworld. (For those of you who don't casually recall obscure trivia from obscure supplements, the character in question is a semi-parody of Peter Parker, if he'd told his uncle about his powers and had been encouraged to use them for personal gain.)

As for Iron Man... When it comes to Tony Stark, it's important to keep in mind that between his suits and the arc reactor, he's developed stuff that seems to be able to stand up to -- or at least alongside -- Asgardian sufficiently-advanced technology. Personally, when I think of a Talent developing equipment for superheroics, I think more along the lines of the Nolan Batman Trilogy version of Lucius Fox.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
      WoD: W20 Rage Across the World, W20 Umbra
      CofD: Night Horrors: The Unbidden, Night Horrors: The Tormented, "Legacy" in the WtF Anthology
      Trinity Continuum: Aeon

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
        Yeah, Tony’s a nova with (1e) mega-intelligence. We see him construct new tech and materials that even teams of baseline researchers can’t copy, and he does it quickly and sometimes with improvised tools.

And I tend to disagree with Dataweaver’s comment about powersuits necessarily being Inspired super science. They could be (Aberrant tech rules include novas ‘designing downwards’ to make their tech more accessible) but by default they’re not just a century ahead of their time. Most VARGs are considerably larger than a powersuit, and the two in the AEon book that aren’t (bioVARG and miniVARG) lack the full potential that nova-developed powersuits could have. That said, the human-sized VARGs are reasonable representations of what a nova inventor could make for the masses if they chose. So yes, they’re about a century ahead of their time.
        “100 years more advanced” I would assume doesn’t translate perfectly to tech available in the Aeon era, right? It means “theoretical tech that baselines would reasonably develop over the next hundred years [i.e. in reality].” Aeon era is full of tech that required Nova invention, or alien origin, to facilitate certain advances that may be less than perfectly realistic for the early 22nd century (barring AI singularity).

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          My hopes:

Aberrant 1e came out before the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These days, Iron Man isn't an obscure B-List hero known only to comic book fans; he's front and center in popular culture. So Aberrant 2e needs to make Superscience more of a thing: heroes like Iron Man and Ant-Man need to be doable without resorting to calling them Stealth Novas.

Likewise, street vigilantes and superspies should get some more support, again without calling them Stealth Novas.

The above can be achieved to a large extent by referencing the Talents section of the core book; so it shouldn't take much in the way of page count. Just emphasize that Talents are right there alongside the Novas making an impression on the world.

I always liked the term "Elite" for the so-called Stealth Novas.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_485_1538393298974_786[/ATTACH]

Comment

Elites are already a thing in universe.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
            WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Originally posted by karpomatic View Post

I always liked the term "Elite" for the so-called Stealth Novas.

Elites are Nova mercenaries, so that would be a bit confusing.

Comment

What I really hope is that what Scale is and how it should play out in-game is clearly described, with examples and handy benchmarks. It seems to me that people are still confused about how Scale operates, and how awesome Talents, Psions, and Novas are.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectacularTentacular View Post
                  What I really hope is that what Scale is and how it should play out in-game is clearly described, with examples and handy benchmarks. It seems to me that people are still confused about how Scale operates, and how awesome Talents, Psions, and Novas are.
                  I definitely second this. After seeing Scion (which is terrific for its genre) I’m a little worried about not having definitive benchmarks for things like super strength or speed, or enough granularity in general.

Comment

Working...
                  X