Initiative system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initiative system

Has anyone playtested the new initiative system? All of the characters built for my new game have an initiative of 3-4 and I'm wondering if this wont result in everyone acting on either 1 or 2 successes.
    Are people finding this works well for them?

I tend to roll d10 and add initiative, rather than rolling for successes. Slightly faster, creates a bigger spread, and the fact Storypath lets groups choose who goes when means it’s not disadvantageous to any group.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
    WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

Yeah, that's the 1E method. I always thought it was the best initiative system I'd seen out of WW. I was surprised it was being changed.

Comment

Adapting the system as I have suggested above does increase the chance of NPCs acting before PCs. Under the standard (roll dicepool) system, you’ll get more ties, but ties favor the PCs by default.

Up to you whether you think this is a problem or not.

Writes stuff. Sometimes you like it.
        WoD | Changing Breeds, Umbra, Book of the Wyrm, Shattered Dreams | CofD | Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd ed, Idigam Anthology, The Pack, Demon Storyteller's Guide, Hurt Locker, Dark Eras Companion, Beast Player's Guide, Deviant: The Renegades, Night Horrors: Shunned by the Moon, Mummy: The Curse 2nd ed | The Trinity Continuum Æon, Æon Æxpansion, Aberrant

Comment

I've used it in playtesting, and it does sometimes create a certain degree of clumping. But in actual play it wasn't the problem it might look like 'on paper,' as it were. That said, if you'd rather have something a little more mixed, and a little more chance of PCs alternating with NPCs, using a single d10 plus the rating shouldn't break things too badly.

Christopher Shaffer, freelancer.
          WoD: W20 Rage Across the World, W20 Umbra
          CofD: Night Horrors: The Unbidden, Night Horrors: The Tormented, "Legacy" in the WtF Anthology
          Trinity Continuum: Aeon

Comment

We have tested it in Scion a few times, so far it's kind of great. Yes there is clumping but once the order is established it has lead to a lot of players able to coordinate and do Teamwork rolls as they are going directly before and after one another. So I think the clumping actually works!

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
            So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Working...
            X