• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Continuum Core Clarifications

I was reading the TC Core
    book,
    and had 
    some
    questions about the clarifying the rules (not actual errata).

1) Skill Specialities - Is it correct to get a free speciality for any Skill at 3+ during character creation, but they have

to
    bought with XP outside of character creation?

2) Narrative Scale p73 - I don't understand this. I get dramatic scale, but what is Narrative Scale? "Narrative Scale describes the multiplier you should apply to successes, or to the trait itself for re
    sisted rolls." So if I'm a Scale 1 thug fighting Scale 3 ninja, and I have to beat their composure of 2, do I need to beat their Composure of 6? An example would have helped.

3) Super Science p90+ - This sounds good, but it doesn't explain how

to clearly create a super-science item. There are no examples. Let's say I want to create Astro Boy rocket boots which the fluff text implies I can do. ---

Let's ignore the extended creation rules and see what the end product looks like. What rank are the rocket boots? What is rank? Is that the same as Scale? I guess I
    just pick a base item and add Edges to it. So Rocket Boots are Speed 1, mm, and that's all I can really see that works. Maybe Free Running 2 or 3? But that means my rocket boots need to be Rank 3, Speed 1, Free Running 2 (as
    style edges are limited to Rank 3

). So I get +4 Enhancement to tasks that might require rocket boots, and three tags, but I can't see any tags in this chapter? Off to the equipment chapter. Vehicle tags might work. Flight, Fast 2. Does that stack with my Speed edge?

After all that, here we are: Rocket Boots, Level 3. Edges: Speed 1, Free Running 2. Tags: Flight Systems, Fast 2. So they're +4
    enh to all rolls that might involve things to do with Rocket Boots, and +1, 2 or 3 (depending if the Speed edge stacks with Fast) scale to flying. Some worked examples would have been good, or having a chapter of prefabricated equipment.

4) Mixed Actions in Combat p101 - In the example, why is Jason's difficulty 5 rather than 2? I thought a mixed action required the sum off difficulties of the component actions, which should be 2 in the example. Is it all difficulties +1 for each action in the mix?

5) Vehicle Combat. There doesn't appear to be a vehicle combat system here? I mean there's action stations and discussions about a vehicle combat system, but nothing that talks about what the vehicle combat system.

actually
    looks like? Is it like combat where you roll initiative and make lots of
    Pilot+Dex checks? How do I blow up a panel van that's chasing me? How much damage can it take? Again, some examples would have been good.

Let me know what your thoughts are on these.
    Last edited by Khelbiros; 12-07-2018, 11:06 PM. Reason: Can't...seem... to... format...

Attempt to post with better formatting....

I was reading the TC Core
    book, and had
    some questions about the clarifying the rules (not actual errata).

1) Skill Specialities - Is it correct to get a free speciality for any Skill at 3+ during character creation, but they have to
    be
    bought with XP outside of character creation?
    2) Narrative Scale p73 - I don't understand this. I get dramatic scale, but what is Narrative Scale? "Narrative Scale describes the multiplier you should apply to successes, or to the trait itself for resisted rolls." So if I'm a Scale 1 thug fighting Scale 3 ninja, and I have to beat their composure of 2, do I need to beat their Composure of 6? An example would have helped.

3) Super Science p90+ - This sounds good, but it doesn't explain how
    to clearly create a super-science item. There are no examples. Let's say I want to create Astro Boy rocket boots which the fluff text implies I can do.

Let's ignore the extended creation rules and see what the end product looks like. What rank are the rocket boots? What is rank? Is that the same as Scale? I guess I
    just pick a base item and add Edges to it. So Rocket Boots are Speed 1, mm, and that's all I can really see that works. Maybe Free Running 2 or 3? But that means my rocket boots need to be Rank 3, Speed 1, Free Running 2 (as
    style edges are limited to Rank 3
    ). So I get +4 Enhancement to tasks that might require rocket boots, and three tags, but I can't see any tags in this chapter? Off to the equipment chapter. Vehicle tags might work. Flight, Fast 2. Does that stack with my Speed edge?

After all that, here we are: Rocket Boots, Level 3. Edges: Speed 1, Free Running 2. Tags: Flight Systems, Fast 2. So they're +4
    enh to all rolls that might involve things to do with Rocket Boots, and +1, 2 or 3 (depending if the Speed edge stacks with Fast) scale to flying. Some worked examples would have been good, or having a chapter of prefabricated equipment.
    4) Mixed Actions in Combat p101 - In the example, why is Jason's difficulty 5 rather than 2? I thought a mixed action required the sum off difficulties of the component actions, which should be 2 in the example. Is it all difficulties +1 for each action in the mix?

5) Vehicle Combat. There doesn't appear to be a vehicle combat system here? I mean there's action stations and discussions about a vehicle combat system, but nothing that talks about what the vehicle combat system looks like? Is it like combat where you roll initiative and make lots of
    Pilot+Dex checks? How do I blow up a panel van that's chasing me? How much damage can it take? Again, some examples would have been good.
    Let me know what your thoughts are on these.

Comment

Originally posted by Khelbiros View Post
      1) Skill Specialities - Is it correct to get a free speciality for any Skill at 3+ during character creation, but they have to bought with XP outside of character creation?
      Correct.

p. 37, character creation: "for any Skills above three dots, gain a Specialty."

p. 39, XP chart: "Add a Specialty to a Skill: 3 Experience."

p. 45, Specialties: "A character gains the ability to purchase Specialties when her Skill rating is three or higher."

2) Narrative Scale p73 - I don't understand this. I get dramatic scale, but what is Narrative Scale?
      For the sake of this example let's say Batman is Scale 1 and Darkseid is Scale 5, giving a difference of 4 between them. Darkseid has a pool of 7 for punching stuff.

Narrative Scale affects the minor characters, scenery, etc. Darkseid punches a house. Storyguides can handwave this away, but if they want to roll it, they can. Darkseid rolls 6 successes. Those dice are multiplied by his Scale. 6 x 5 = 30, so Darkseid effectively does 30 successes to that house. A wall explodes and the house starts to collapse.

Dramatic Scale affects player characters and other important story elements (like, say, the Batmobile). Darkseid punches Batman. He manages to roll 5 successes. Even though he just destroyed a building, and by all rights Batman should turn into chunky salsa or a fine red mist, Darkseid's successes aren't multiplied. Instead you multiple the difference in Scale by 2 and add them. 5 + (2 x 4) = 13. That's still a lot, but if Batman's got some good armor and has some good defensive capabilities, he can probably make it out of this alive.

Ian A. A. Watson
      Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Good thread. Agree especially with the request for sample artifacts & equipment. Also, some more points/questions from me. Let's make a collection thread out of this.

p. 80: Moving and maneuvering
        The text in the first paragraph revers to "range bands (p. XX)", but range bands seem not to be defined/explained anywhere, though this term is mentioned a lot in the PDF. What is a range band?

p. 102: "Disarm" stunt: It says "range increment". Better to use the term "range band" here?
        Last edited by shuragil; 12-09-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Is it correct to assume that Specialties do not actually affect the skill they are associated with? Per the book (page 45) it seems that a specialty will only affect other skills.

Comment

Also, how many dots in Paths do you get? I can see it nowhere in the character creation chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
              Is it correct to assume that Specialties do not actually affect the skill they are associated with? Per the book (page 45) it seems that a specialty will only affect other skills.
              Heh, it reads like that. But common sense says that it counts for the skill you have the specialty for as well. Still it should be written in the text as well, I agree.

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
              Also, how many dots in Paths do you get? I can see it nowhere in the character creation chapter.
              p. 40: "Each Contact begins with one dot [...]"
              p. 41: "Initially, each connection has the same dot rating as the overall Path."

This implies that you each of your three paths start with one dot. Though you are right, it seems not to be explicitly stated in the book.
              Last edited by shuragil; 12-10-2018, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I couldn’t find the “quick character creation reference” pages in the book. Are they being added later or did I just miss them?

Comment

Originally posted by shuragil View Post

Heh, it reads like that. But common sense says that it counts for the skill you have the specialty for as well. Still it should be written in the text as well, I agree.

p. 40: "Each Contact begins with one dot [...]"
                  p. 41: "Initially, each connection has the same dot rating as the overall Path."

This implies that you each of your three paths start with one dot. Though you are right, it seems not to be explicitly stated in the book.
                  About Specialties: Common sense (for me at least) also says that getting a 1-3 enhancement directly to a skill with negligible costs and limitations is a too massive bonus, but who knows? Not having playtested more than once I'm strongly inclined to say that Specialties are a bit overpowered and I don't like that you gain one for free for every skill at 3+ dots at character creation since it encourages players to min-max when creating their characters in order not to lose out.

About Paths: Also, it says that you get two Edge dots and three Skill dots for each dot in Path you buy, which is what you get in the beginning for your paths. So I simply had to intuit that you started at one in each.
                  Last edited by Aristarkos; 12-11-2018, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Question about the access part belonging to every path:

So you have _one_ group connection per path, even if there are more than possible groups for that path.

What about the access part? Also only one possible connection? Or is this made up on the fly during play with common sense? I mean, the finger print database example in the book is one of many possible accesses for a police chief path.

Would sound a bit illogical if you'd have access to the finger print DB, but not to, say, the evidence room.

Comment

Can someone clarify for me

Page 150 (onto 151) talks about getting to add a single Facet’s rating to as an Enhancement to an appropriate roll once per scene.

Later on page 151 - gaining Enhancements from each Facet are listed as things you spend Inspiration for.

Is the intent here you can do it once per scene for free, but then as many more times as you choose for an Inspiration each time?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I am posting this in the errata thread as well because I am not certain if this is an error or not,

Page 60: The prerequisite for Alternate Identity is "Appropriate Path for Alternate Identity **" How do we determine what is an appropriate Path for Alternate Identity 2?

Comment

Originally posted by graywulfe View Post
                          I am posting this in the errata thread as well because I am not certain if this is an error or not,

Page 60: The prerequisite for Alternate Identity is "Appropriate Path for Alternate Identity **" How do we determine what is an appropriate Path for Alternate Identity 2?

For Alternate Identity * there is no prerequisite.

For Alternate Identity ** you must have a Path that logically justifies having an Alternate Identity (a CIA agent, Wit Sec ex-mobster, Rogue super-hacker, any Allegiance that includes Alternate Identity on its Edge list, etc etc)

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

For Alternate Identity * there is no prerequisite.

For Alternate Identity ** you must have a Path that logically justifies having an Alternate Identity (a CIA agent, Wit Sec ex-mobster, Rogue super-hacker, any Allegiance that includes Alternate Identity on its Edge list, etc etc)
                            Okay that makes more sense I was reading it as a prerequisite for the whole edge, not as a prerequisite for the one level. Sorry and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                              Can someone clarify for me

Page 150 (onto 151) talks about getting to add a single Facet’s rating to as an Enhancement to an appropriate roll once per scene.

Later on page 151 - gaining Enhancements from each Facet are listed as things you spend Inspiration for.

Is the intent here you can do it once per scene for free, but then as many more times as you choose for an Inspiration each time?
                              Bump?.... 10 characters

Comment

Working...
                              X