What about languages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about languages?

Except for a brief example of using Humanities to decipher old languages and an example of a multi-lingual character in the fiction, actual knowledge of languages are completely absent in this game. I'm playtesting in a cold war spy game running through various countries of Europe and so knowing what languages characters actually can speak is kind of a big deal. I'm thinking of using the mechanics in Chronicles of Darkness for this one:

Language (• to •••••)
    Your character can fluently speak a foreign language besides the one she grew up with. Each new dot signifies a new language that your character speaks fluently. The GM might require rolls for your character to appear as a native speaker of that language.

Multi-lingual (• to •••••)
    Pick two new languages for each dot in this Edge. Your character can speak those languages well enough to get by but will have a hard time convincing anyone she is a native speaker. Furthermore, the GM can set higher difficulties for reading and translating texts in that language.

Please offer constructive criticism if you have any.

That seems to work. A question that might come up is what is the international tongue in Aeon. Given the Aberrant War, While it's likely still English I can see Mandarin as a strong up and comer for that. As to the mechanics, they work for me

Comment

For Aeon, given China's position with the ultimatum and the yuan becoming the global reserve currency, I think Mandarin would likely become the dominant language.
      However, I think having the sci-fi setting in mind during game development is why there are no rules for languages. When every mini-comp comes with the language translation program, very few would need to learn multiple languages.

Comment

Originally posted by Baladain View Post
        For Aeon, given China's position with the ultimatum and the yuan becoming the global reserve currency, I think Mandarin would likely become the dominant language.
        However, I think having the sci-fi setting in mind during game development is why there are no rules for languages. When every mini-comp comes with the language translation program, very few would need to learn multiple languages.
        I get that, and if I played Aeon I would not bother too much. I bother now though what with the not-yet too advanced setting and multitudes of different languages my characters would encounter.

Comment

I think Languages might be intuited from Paths, like many other traditional merits/backgrounds from other storyteller-alikes.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

If you're using Talents, there is a power which makes you a polyglot. Other than that, I like the Path idea. Maybe each dot in an appropriate Path gives you a language? So, Deep Cover Agent 2 would get you German and Russian along with your native English.

Comment

I always enjoyed keeping track of languages in game so I like this edge and will likely use it. I haven’t ran my first game yet so I didn’t notice till you pointed this out.

Yeah we should have had more talk on things like culture and language. I was always fond of Mandarin and English holding out as the two big human languages in the solar system due to their prominence during the technological reinnaisance, like how Firefly handled it.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
              X