Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any new original settings planed for Trinity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love a steampunk western setting. Can't think of a good name for it, thou.

Likewise a pirate setting.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      I'd love a steampunk western setting. Can't think of a good name for it, thou.
      Have you tried Deadlands?

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

Have you tried Deadlands?
        I had pretty much the entire run of it back during it's 1st edition, but it had a number of problems that were ultimately too personally annoying for me to overcome. Primarily was Pinnacle's "everything AND the kitchen sink" approach to setting design, in which it would include anything and everything even tangentially connected to the setting/genre in a giant car crash of stuff that often had little rhyme or reason. Scattering new character types (such as martial artists or practitioners of voodoo) across various sourcebooks and boxed sets was annoying, but at least no where near as bad as their superhero game which scattered the power rules themselves across various books. The fact that they tended to use really large margin spaces in their layout, padding out the page count while keeping the actually word count of written material down, was also an irritant.

What I'd like for a Trinity/Adventure style western would be where something like the Hammersmith event occurs in, say, 1866 (maybe in Denver or San Fransisco) with the effects centered on the American West (say, from about the Mississippi River to the Pacific), as well as Western Canada and Northern Mexico. So you have a "Wild West" 1876 of cinematic gunfighters, steampunk inventors, and various other fun pulp oddities, but at a default level that's maybe an 8 out of 10 rather than Deadlands' "we tried to go past 11 and now the knob is broken".

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Why center it in the West? Why not have it be global and have said setting include the west, so that you also have foggy Victorian Steampunk at the same time?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

How about the "Kerberos Club" setting for Wild Talents?

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              Why center it in the West? Why not have it be global and have said setting include the west, so that you also have foggy Victorian Steampunk at the same time?
              Well, partially for game focus, but I sort of have this image in my head where another Hammersmith event occurs in Europe (London or Paris maybe) which results in that region turning into a Gothic Horror-Adventure setting with some steampunk undertones (like Masque of the Red Death, but with more technology and punching) , with a third event in China turning the far East into Wuxia land. And at some point heroes of all three lands have to come together to defeat the serpent people of the hollow earth and their time traveling N-zi allies who started it all. (There might also be some sort of South Asian/Middle Eastern/East African setting, but I'm not sure what.)

Comment

(Total Trinity noob) What is Hammersmith event, you mention all the time?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  (Total Trinity noob) What is Hammersmith event, you mention all the time?
                  Hammersmith was a scientist working on, what he calls, Z-Waves. He creates a engine capable of working this energy and on the first test it explodes, creating a wave of Noetic/Flux/Quantum wave that propagates thru the universe.
                  The guys next to it end up dead or enhanced on overwhelming levels. This is the event that start the Adventure! Era.

After that, one of the guys who was there, Divis Mal as called on Nova Era, recreate the accident, but now enhancing only quantum based superhumans, the novas, on levels that are far superior from the ones on previous eras.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I'm interested, as many are, in a post-Aeon space opera setting (which I'd personally name Astral, but I think that's a highly unlikely name).

I'm also interested in a post-apocalyptic setting, but I'd actually like to see it as a sequel to Aeon. I could see them as alternates (a 'dark' and 'light' sequel to Aeon), but I can also see them as two different focuses in the same time period. Maybe at some point a bunch of Abberants conquer Earth and turn it into a living hell ruled over by monstrous god-kings, but one or more of the extrasolar colonies managed to develop the technological base to create their own Jump Ships and other technology that allows them to hold off Abberant invasions, and possibly begins to have more Nova erruptions. I can even see members of the 'Galactic Nova Corps' being sent to Earth to try and free it.

Blue is sarcasm.

If I suggestion I make contradicts in-setting metaphysics please ignore me, I probably brought in scientific ideas.

Comment

Bruce Baugh once mentioned the concept of having a Pulp Adventure American Revolution, leading to a Steampunk Civil War and eventually a Space Opera style Great War spread throughout the Solar System, with the planets being similar to how they were imagined in Victorian, Pulp and early 50s SciFi. I'm not sure what would be the best way to do such a thing, with 20s/30s space opera, a Star Wars-esque WW2 or a Star Trek style Cold War all seeming to be equally interesting.

Comment

Hmm.

Apprehension: Turn of the Century Gothic Suspense and Psychic Strangeness

In which, dear reader, during the Year of Our Lord 1898, "something happens". Perhaps an experiment gone wrong, or an alien stone fallen from the sky, or an inevitable aligning of the stars, the result is our world being bathed in strange energies which have awakened psychic and occult powers across the globe. The anxieties and fears of the past, present and future are amplified, giving birth to numerous horrors, including those of fiction and folklore, sometimes overwriting the past with a secret history. This is a world of ghosts, mad scientists, and paranormal monsters, and of the psychically inspired heroes who stand against them. Inspired by the stories of Sherlock Holmes and Carnacki the Ghost Finder, as well as 19th century Gothic and turn of the century Weird Fiction, and period beliefs in psychical research and mysticism.

Comment

Avantguard: Space, the final frontier.

The Hammersmith accident never happened, novas never erupted, Psiads are extremely rare, but the world have 1000s of Talents that developed the science faster and the colonisation of the sol system was started by mid 21st century.
                          The year is 2323, 45 years after the creation of the warpdrive, capable of faster than light travel, the humans are living on the stars for the last 200 years, but the distances are so big the colonies out of Sol System must be fully independent. Suddenly a few dozen ships are capable of reaching the colonies in mounts instead of decades, reaching faster than the news of their creation, and the deep space exploration starts. The colonies founded over the centuries never encountered intelligent life, except for ruins of civilisations that somehow vanished long time before the colonists arrived, and the colonists were too busy to make a proper research on the subject. But now the explorers arrived, the colonies can trade and the scientists can visit this places and many more. What will they find? Doyens? Qin? Coalition? Maybe chromatic that never touched by the doyen?
                          Last edited by Mateus Luz; 01-27-2019, 12:11 AM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Hammersmith was a scientist working on, what he calls, Z-Waves. He creates a engine capable of working this energy and on the first test it explodes, creating a wave of Noetic/Flux/Quantum wave that propagates thru the universe.
                            The guys next to it end up dead or enhanced on overwhelming levels. This is the event that start the Adventure! Era.

After that, one of the guys who was there, Divis Mal as called on Nova Era, recreate the accident, but now enhancing only quantum based superhumans, the novas, on levels that are far superior from the ones on previous eras.
                            Divas Mal’s stunt created an equivalent of the Hammersmith event that was focused specifically on Quantum energies, thus the Nova era being dominated by Quantum-empowered individuals.

As well,
                            another one who was empowered as what was effectively a psion Proxy later replicated the process again but with a focus on Noetics in an attempt to clean up the mess left behind by the Aberrant War, and ended up triggering the Aeon Era. The only energy type that hasn’t seen a dedicated variation of the Hammersmith event is Flux. I suspect that when and if something like that happens, the result will be what I would call Travelers: individuals capable of traversing space, time, and dimension. For what it’s worth, the third of the three empowered survivors of the original Hammersmith event is a Traveler.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

(There might also be some sort of South Asian/Middle Eastern/East African setting, but I'm not sure what.)
                              It could be A Faith inspired Hammersmith event tapping into the Divine either in India or the Holy Lands. Or hell Egypt!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Note that the books make it clear that Æon, Aberrant, and Adventure are the only eras backed by a Hammersmith Event. All others are set in much weaker, more localized and temporary events (e.g., Ægis) or in an era where the wake of any such events have largely subsided (the core book's setting, Anima). What makes these three events significant was their size and duration: all three were worldwide and in fact propagated into interstellar space; and they didn't die down naturally: the original one appears to have subsided by the time of the core book's setting only because an active effort was made to tamp down on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X