Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any new original settings planed for Trinity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any new original settings planed for Trinity?

I'd love to see a full blown space opera using the Storypath system.

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

She seemed to be doing her own thing, under the Radar, until she did her Psi version of the Hammersmith event in the next millennium. Perhaps Mercer knew of her from his trips to the Future but I don’t believe she was in the inner echelons of the Aeon. She was probably cultivating her talents in the background, exploiting her immortality and humble origins.
    Max can have invited her, but she may have refused to join Aeon Society. It would not change the fact she was not a big piece in the game until 2104.

If Michael is more or less the same as in 1e, in the time he would be looking for people with powers very actively, and he could detect it without much problem. Also, he would go after her at least to talk about the experiment. This way I believe she choose to play low for a few hundred years even with some people in power knowing about her.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post

So you're keeping the founding of the Æon Society to Max and Michael? I was figuring that that would get “retconned” to also include Sara. But I suppose it makes sense: she's described as preferring to work in the shadows for most of her career; so if she was involved in the founding of the Æon Society, she would have kept a low profile.
    She seemed to be doing her own thing, under the Radar, until she did her Psi version of the Hammersmith event in the next millennium. Perhaps Mercer knew of her from his trips to the Future but I don’t believe she was in the inner echelons of the Aeon. She was probably cultivating her talents in the background, exploiting her immortality and humble origins.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

In 1922, Doctor Sir Calvin Hammersmith invited a number of people of his acquaintance -- mostly those who were wealthy or science-minded or both -- to a demonstration of his "telluric engine," which would draw energy from "Z-waves," the energy of the cosmos itself. It would therefore be a potential source of limitless energy.

The demonstration did not go as planned. The device exploded. Dr. Hammersmith died trying to shut it down. Those closest to the device -- in the "eye" of the explosion -- were imbued with a fantastic amount of Z-wave energy, what we now call Flux. Many of those attending the demonstration further away from the engine died outright.

Individuals demonstrating strange and amazing powers began to manifest around the world from that point -- what some called "daredevils" (Talents), "mesmerists" (psiads), and "stalwarts" (novas).

A year later, Maxwell Anderson Mercer and his friend Michael Donighal, who were both in the eye of the Hammersmith explosion, founded the Æon Society for Gentlemen. The Adventure! era begins.
    So you're keeping the founding of the Æon Society to Max and Michael? I was figuring that that would get “retconned” to also include Sara. But I suppose it makes sense: she's described as preferring to work in the shadows for most of her career; so if she was involved in the founding of the Æon Society, she would have kept a low profile.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

I was thinking some sort of Arabian Nights inspired thing, but I'm not sure how it would work exactly.
    Magic magic is magic. So maybe Hammersmith event involving the Smokeless fire of the Djinn. Djinn could be high Quantum beings, aliens or even humans who lost their humanity in Quantum and reverted to a being of myth and expectation.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

It could be A Faith inspired Hammersmith event tapping into the Divine either in India or the Holy Lands. Or hell Egypt!
    I was thinking some sort of Arabian Nights inspired thing, but I'm not sure how it would work exactly.

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I was under the impression though that 2E is leaning more toward Talents always having been around. So in their case is it more that their numbers just spiked after Hammersmith, or am I wrong and the likes of Julie D’Aubigny, Bass Reeves, Ching Shih, etc weren’t Talents in the Continuum?

That was also the case in 1e. We just made it more explicit in this edition.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

Individuals demonstrating strange and amazing powers began to manifest around the world from that point -- what some called "daredevils" (Talents), "mesmerists" (psiads), and "stalwarts" (novas).
    I was under the impression though that 2E is leaning more toward Talents always having been around. So in their case is it more that their numbers just spiked after Hammersmith, or am I wrong and the likes of Julie D’Aubigny, Bass Reeves, Ching Shih, etc weren’t Talents in the Continuum?

Leave a comment:

• IanWatson
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    (Total Trinity noob) What is Hammersmith event, you mention all the time?

In 1922, Doctor Sir Calvin Hammersmith invited a number of people of his acquaintance -- mostly those who were wealthy or science-minded or both -- to a demonstration of his "telluric engine," which would draw energy from "Z-waves," the energy of the cosmos itself. It would therefore be a potential source of limitless energy.

The demonstration did not go as planned. The device exploded. Dr. Hammersmith died trying to shut it down. Those closest to the device -- in the "eye" of the explosion -- were imbued with a fantastic amount of Z-wave energy, what we now call Flux. Many of those attending the demonstration further away from the engine died outright.

A year later, Maxwell Anderson Mercer and his friend Michael Donighal, who were both in the eye of the Hammersmith explosion, founded the Æon Society for Gentlemen. The Adventure! era begins.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Note that the books make it clear that Æon, Aberrant, and Adventure are the only eras backed by a Hammersmith Event. All others are set in much weaker, more localized and temporary events (e.g., Ægis) or in an era where the wake of any such events have largely subsided (the core book's setting, Anima). What makes these three events significant was their size and duration: all three were worldwide and in fact propagated into interstellar space; and they didn't die down naturally: the original one appears to have subsided by the time of the core book's setting only because an active effort was made to tamp down on it.

Leave a comment:

• Eldagusto
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

(There might also be some sort of South Asian/Middle Eastern/East African setting, but I'm not sure what.)
    It could be A Faith inspired Hammersmith event tapping into the Divine either in India or the Holy Lands. Or hell Egypt!

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Hammersmith was a scientist working on, what he calls, Z-Waves. He creates a engine capable of working this energy and on the first test it explodes, creating a wave of Noetic/Flux/Quantum wave that propagates thru the universe.
    The guys next to it end up dead or enhanced on overwhelming levels. This is the event that start the Adventure! Era.

After that, one of the guys who was there, Divis Mal as called on Nova Era, recreate the accident, but now enhancing only quantum based superhumans, the novas, on levels that are far superior from the ones on previous eras.
    Divas Mal’s stunt created an equivalent of the Hammersmith event that was focused specifically on Quantum energies, thus the Nova era being dominated by Quantum-empowered individuals.

As well,
    another one who was empowered as what was effectively a psion Proxy later replicated the process again but with a focus on Noetics in an attempt to clean up the mess left behind by the Aberrant War, and ended up triggering the Aeon Era. The only energy type that hasn’t seen a dedicated variation of the Hammersmith event is Flux. I suspect that when and if something like that happens, the result will be what I would call Travelers: individuals capable of traversing space, time, and dimension. For what it’s worth, the third of the three empowered survivors of the original Hammersmith event is a Traveler.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Avantguard: Space, the final frontier.

The Hammersmith accident never happened, novas never erupted, Psiads are extremely rare, but the world have 1000s of Talents that developed the science faster and the colonisation of the sol system was started by mid 21st century.
    The year is 2323, 45 years after the creation of the warpdrive, capable of faster than light travel, the humans are living on the stars for the last 200 years, but the distances are so big the colonies out of Sol System must be fully independent. Suddenly a few dozen ships are capable of reaching the colonies in mounts instead of decades, reaching faster than the news of their creation, and the deep space exploration starts. The colonies founded over the centuries never encountered intelligent life, except for ruins of civilisations that somehow vanished long time before the colonists arrived, and the colonists were too busy to make a proper research on the subject. But now the explorers arrived, the colonies can trade and the scientists can visit this places and many more. What will they find? Doyens? Qin? Coalition? Maybe chromatic that never touched by the doyen?
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 01-27-2019, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Hmm.

Apprehension: Turn of the Century Gothic Suspense and Psychic Strangeness

In which, dear reader, during the Year of Our Lord 1898, "something happens". Perhaps an experiment gone wrong, or an alien stone fallen from the sky, or an inevitable aligning of the stars, the result is our world being bathed in strange energies which have awakened psychic and occult powers across the globe. The anxieties and fears of the past, present and future are amplified, giving birth to numerous horrors, including those of fiction and folklore, sometimes overwriting the past with a secret history. This is a world of ghosts, mad scientists, and paranormal monsters, and of the psychically inspired heroes who stand against them. Inspired by the stories of Sherlock Holmes and Carnacki the Ghost Finder, as well as 19th century Gothic and turn of the century Weird Fiction, and period beliefs in psychical research and mysticism.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Bruce Baugh once mentioned the concept of having a Pulp Adventure American Revolution, leading to a Steampunk Civil War and eventually a Space Opera style Great War spread throughout the Solar System, with the planets being similar to how they were imagined in Victorian, Pulp and early 50s SciFi. I'm not sure what would be the best way to do such a thing, with 20s/30s space opera, a Star Wars-esque WW2 or a Star Trek style Cold War all seeming to be equally interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X