Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity Saturday Morning Hour

Just a fun little thought:
    The baseline settings of the Trinity Continuum are a relatively serious take on Pulp, Superheroes, Action and Sci-Fi. Somewhere, it also was stated, that "Abberant is not Superfriends". But since the "new" Trinity takes place in a multiverse, consisting of many different realities, what if there where a strange, bizarre dimension, where Abberant WAS like Superfriends? What if there was a world, that that is related to Abberant in the same way, that the Batman TV-Series from the Sixties is related to Nolans version of Batman? A world, where Superheroes, Supervillains and other weird things exist, but that behaves, as if the 1950s Comics Code was some law of nature and everything behaves like a reallife version of an oldfashioned Saturday Morning Cartoon. On the one hand, it is bizarrely colourful and fantastic - on the other hand, it ist weirdly conservative and oddly "tame".
    So, how could this strange world look in detail?

(And to give this idea an at least a little bit sinister spin: the reason, why in this reality, everything behaves like beeing in a Saturday Morning Cartoon is, that the Doyen of this universe work with another strategy to keep other races down. They use a kind of "Mindcontrol" to keep mankind and other "lesser" races harmless by supressing agression in a subtle way.)

I think it would be an interesting premise for an Aberrant one-shot game. Where both the storyteller and players had to not only adhere to the base game rules, but also to the Comics Code. It would be a fascinating gameplay and roleplay challenge, for everyone involved, to hew as close to the standards of Saturday Morning Cartoons as possible. That's the sort of thing the gaming group would need to hash out in a session zero, including creating an actual list of rules they can point to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
      I think it would be an interesting premise for an Aberrant one-shot game. Where both the storyteller and players had to not only adhere to the base game rules, but also to the Comics Code. It would be a fascinating gameplay and roleplay challenge, for everyone involved, to hew as close to the standards of Saturday Morning Cartoons as possible. That's the sort of thing the gaming group would need to hash out in a session zero, including creating an actual list of rules they can point to.
      I’d suggest taking some liberties with the actual Comic Code - i’d walk from a table that allowed heterosexual love interests and not same sex ones, there are certain point genre verisimilitude should bend to improving said genre.

Edit: that said, I could have fun playing a spoof game where having to be “*wink*nod*” about character’s sexuality and relationships was a running joke... but only with other LGBT players. In my experience, straight people trying for that joke at the expense of homophobic censorship just end up on the Ambiguously Gay Duo instead.
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 12-30-2018, 02:22 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I like that idea with the spoof-oneshot! This could definitely be a way, this idea could work quite well!

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        I’d suggest taking some liberties with the actual Comic Code - i’d walk from a table that allowed heterosexual love interests and not same sex ones, there are certain point genre verisimilitude should bend to improving said genre.
        This is a valid point. So, maybe, most people in this Saturday-Morning-Cartoon-Universe tend to be completely OK with LGBT. After all, you don´t have to be a homophobe to be uptight and prudish. The point could be, that homosexuality is not a problem at all, but carefree talking about sexuality of any kind in public IS one. This could mirror the situation from the Batman-TV-Series. The relationship between Batman and Robin is obviously quite "suggestive". Everyone (except, perhaps, some Villains) is completely OK with the dynamic Duo as well as with "Bruce and Dick", but no one would ever talks about their sexuality.

The other possibility is, that homosexuality, along with a lot of other things, that do not fit in those 50s morality, IS an issue. This could work well, if the Saturday-Morning-Cartoon-Universe is represented as a "colourfull Dystopia". In this case, the "happy" and "joyfull" Scenery of Saturday-Morning-Cartoons and Comics from the 50ies would be a kind of "facade". Of course - this universe is, in some ways, much less violent, than the Trinity-Baseline-Universe. Here, Divis Mal might not burn the UN Secretary-General to cinders, but instead turn him into a statue, so some other, good Nova could turn him back into a human again. But on the other hand, this Universe is much more violent, because everything, that does not fit into the norm, is supressed. So, for everyone, who is "different" in any way, the Saturday-Morning-Cartoon-Universe is nothing but a horrible nightmare. And of course, visitors from other realities could try to do something about that.

Comment

It all depends on the group, of course. My group, for instance, doesn't have any LGBT players in it, nor anyone interested in playing LGBT characters; so a rule about “no homosexual relationships” would pass unnoticed.

OTOH, the Superfriends were generally pretty even-handed about matters pertaining to sex: they didn't allow any of it, gay, straight, or whatever. Anything that came up along those lines was “getting crap past the radar”.

Comment

Working...
          X