Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shuragil View Post
    I wonder if any player passes up the chance of this power
    I skipped it when the character I was making wasn’t a strong latent or a experienced psion or when the character made more sense to have an extra attribute dot. It’s just a choice.

There’s not a lot of reason to increase attributes since you get like 25 or 26 points compared to 15 skill dots.

Most of the characters I’ve made have found room for favored mode, but I’m not sure what else you could do with it that would keep it worth edge dots if it wasn’t an enhancement boost. I think just jacking the cost up without more benefits would make the extra cost basically a cigarette tax. Even if you made it similar to a single-mode IAD instead of a straight enhancement bonus it would be a no brainer. The 3 dot cost of the IAD is the reason why all characters wouldn’t get an IAD.

Comment

I wonder if a Quantakinetic can use energetics 1 to transform the battery charge in a minicomp to kinetic energy and make it explode.

Comment

Originally posted by werlynn View Post
        I wonder if a Quantakinetic can use energetics 1 to transform the battery charge in a minicomp to kinetic energy and make it explode.
        Why not? It would be more like a pfff than a boom... but...

Comment

Within Psychokinesis, you have a whole Mode dedicated to Defense (Perekinesis) and yet in another Mode (Thermokinesis) you have Sheath, a defensive power. Does anyone see the point for the redundancy inside the Aptitude. It seems almost a waste of abilitiy. Am i missing something?

"I am born of death, I am reborn of purpose. i am Thrice Damned and the Sword's edge. See my Glory and know I have come for you!"-Priscus Mircea Basarab

Comment

Originally posted by Crucible View Post
            Within Psychokinesis, you have a whole Mode dedicated to Defense (Perekinesis) and yet in another Mode (Thermokinesis) you have Sheath, a defensive power. Does anyone see the point for the redundancy inside the Aptitude. It seems almost a waste of abilitiy. Am i missing something?
            Sheath is not the same as force fields. I do find it a little odd that some how an aura of fire grants any levels of hard armor.

Comment

I agree that the powers are different, but they achieve the same basic effect of Armor. So why have two powers that do the same thing is my question

"I am born of death, I am reborn of purpose. i am Thrice Damned and the Sword's edge. See my Glory and know I have come for you!"-Priscus Mircea Basarab

Comment

Actually, the Peri Shield is far superior the Thermo, it can make the same effects and more with 2 dots, and affecting more people, also it improves latter.

I think we could consider that Sheath create a strong and stable source of cold/heat, for example with flash you can make some ice in the ground to make slippery, with Sheath you can build structures and objects of ice, Flash can throw a firebolt while sheath can create a blowtorch. Also you have the usual effect of protection. Unless you believe that flash can do these effects. Making tools of ice and fiery blades is awesome...

When I saw the image on page 235 I was expecting some flight with fire jets, but TK is far better, so a blowtorch come into my mind. It takes more time then the flash would provide and don’t need to heat the entire object you are trying to weld.

Comment

Alertness is bothering me for a while, not how powerful it is, but how limited it is.
                  If it’s predicting the attack, it would make more difficult to hit, not to hurt. It is possible to attack the Clair and instead of inflict injury, grapple, shove, disarm or sunder easily.
                  My opinion is it should add 1/2 dots (or 1/2 successes) as enhancement to all defensive rolls during the duration. The same rule can be set to any action against the Clair that would create a risk, just increase difficult of any evil intended action against him and that’s it.
                  It also impact on making harder to use feint against him, as he predicts the next few actions or the way they are planning to attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                    Alertness is bothering me for a while, not how powerful it is, but how limited it is.
                    If it’s predicting the attack, it would make more difficult to hit, not to hurt. It is possible to attack the Clair and instead of inflict injury, grapple, shove, disarm or sunder easily.
                    My opinion is it should add 1/2 dots (or 1/2 successes) as enhancement to all defensive rolls during the duration. The same rule can be set to any action against the Clair that would create a risk, just increase difficult of any evil intended action against him and that’s it.
                    It also impact on making harder to use feint against him, as he predicts the next few actions or the way they are planning to attack.
                    It's narrower in scope. It's helping you avoid the worst of the danger. You don't even know what the danger is. Just split second instinct telling you to react. That can mean turning in just the right way so that the bullet grazes your arm or so that the best that punch can accomplish is to knock you aside rather than ring your bell. It can mean moving so that a bullet that should have been able to go through your lung (enough successes to critically hit and deal multiple injuries), instead goes though your shoulder and knocks you down (because in the end only 1 hit could be afforded, with the rest spent on a complication). Mechanically it's making it harder for those things to happen.

I'd say Hinder might be where you want to go if you want to actually avoid any effect of an attack. It would tell you what to do in order to not be hit. Hinder does what you were describing and raises the opponents actual difficulty. It just requires you to focus on a single active source of threat in order to read enough detail from the future. Hinder seems like what the guy in that Inhumans TV show did where the fight scene would play out in his head and then he'd fight the fight and avoid getting stabbed like he did in his vision. He clearly (pun intended) had Clear Vision to increase his number of targets too.
                    Last edited by werlynn; 02-13-2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you for making me think about that. Changes how I think of a clairsentient character idea I had.

Comment

The way you explain makes a lot of sense, but hinder doesn’t seem the idea I had of alertness before. Alertness to me is more like Spidersence, and Hinder ir more proper predicting the reaction of a person to the options you have, Alertness is about reaction and hinder on action.

Let’s say in social context, Alertness will make you hard to surprise or at least makes you react on a more polite way, while Hinder will make you know you should talk about a situational sensitive subject (recently death, for exemple) to befriend a person.

Alertness would alow you to just move a little to the side to make it more difficult to tackle you or put your hand a little closer to body to avoid being disarmed, the same way “moving so that a bullet that should have been able to go through your lung (...) instead goes though your shoulder and knocks you down”. It’s not about predicting actively the future, it’s more about reacting a split second before a regular person would.

The last paragraph of my last post make my intire idea goes down the hole... that was not what I meant.

Comment

I think a proper reading of the future is what it would take to get a "completely avoid a thing" result. Mechanically that's what I'm seeing in the different levels of Psychocognition between 1 and 3. Narratively the difference in level of information provided fit the effects for me.

Hinder talks about increasing the target's difficulty. That's what it takes to completely avoid being affected, and Hinder gets there with a proper reading of the future. In an action scene the variables just change faster than in a non-combat scene. I can see it working like that Inhuman's power (his vision played out instantly), or working like the instance in one of the fiction pieces where the Clear's vision plays out sneaking into a room and they see themself getting caught. One is events over the course of seconds. The other is events over the course of several minutes. I like that the power is broadly applicable like that.

I think that avoiding getting disarmed might be out of the scope of the information Alertness provides. I think that it might be too "low threat." Kind of like an agent deciding what information to prioritize feeding to your AR display. It only has so much space (or in the power's case advance notice) to work with so it prioritizes "might make you dead" sorts of info over "that kind of sucks" info.
                          Last edited by werlynn; 02-13-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

When I read Hinder description the scene of the fiction comes to mind (in 4 minutes they will be find). Makes sense your description of life risk, but at same time the description includes social danger “She will also know if she is about to make an immedi- ate serious social blunder — asking after a person’s partner who has recently died — or is in danger from mental tasks, such as taking the winning move in a game that will cause the opponent to shoot her in a sudden fit of rage.” So, disarming and being tackled are good sources of danger.

Honestly, Alertness is too powerful the way it is, but at same time the description and the rules are not fitting each other, description is about danger and rules about damage. Hinder is in the opposite situation, it’s described by the rules in the exact way it is in description. Giving the effect I suggest to Alertness makes it more versatile but limit the bonus (what is a real need, as I see), it’s still a reaction power while Hinder can grant bonus on actions and impose penalities to the adversary.

Comment

I'd suggest that they take another look the description of Alertness and make sure it clearly describes the intent (regardless of whether it matches my interpretation or yours or is something else) since there's clearly a lack of clarity in how the description, the mechanics, and the open-ended narrative effects of the power are portrayed. Then I'd recommend taking another look at the balance of the mechanics compared to similar abilities. There might be something I'm missing. It doesn't help directly against indirect harm so that might be the intended balance for its high bonus.

The fact that it can alert you to an earthquake or social blunder add a nice bit of narrative versatility to Alertness that doesn't need mechanical representation and can be affected by the specific mechanical effect of the injury stunt cost increase. I think that's the extra versatility of Alertness. Bolting too much mechanics onto narrative versatility might end up causing more harm than good. The focus of the mechanical part of the power seems pretty clear for me and I can clearly imagine the narrative produced by it's mechanics.

I think a defense bonus (effectively difficulty increase) fits in Hinder's level of power as a level 3 power and the information provided by the power. It doesn't need to overlap mechanically with Alertness because the powers would not be distinct anymore. That also places that strong bonus up in the higher rank and out of the scope of a dip-able aux mode.

If Hinder were as open as Alertness (Hinder's target limit) then I'd actually suggest giving Hinder the upgrade effect like some of the Biokinesis modes have and say that it transforms the soft armor effect of Alertness to a full difficulty modifier instead, in order to prevent stacking those bonuses, and still keeping the really good bonus up higher than an aux mode.

I'm OK with alertness functioning like soft armor because of the narrative described earlier. We see them differently though. We'll see if it changes. It's a bit late now. I did see a post in another thread during errata about Alertness though so maybe something will happen if anyone takes another look at the power.

In the end we're just disagreeing on minor nuances of the powers and that's stuff individual tables can resolve. It's why there's a GM instead of a ruleset so rigid that a computer could run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                                It has changed in the errata. It now adds directly to Defense.

Writer. Developer. WoD | CofD | The Trinity Continuum 19 books and counting...

Comment

Working...
                                X