Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast is the Coalition Ark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How fast is the Coalition Ark?

    Secrets of the Coalition, Aeon p.362
    "Traveling near the speed of light, their journeys from one star system to another seemed to take only a few months."

    Since "near the speed of light" inherently implies less than the speed of light, even a short voyage on the astronomical scale (Alpha Centauri - Sol) would take approximately 4.5 years.
    For the crew to feel like this 4.5 year journey happened in a few months, we would need to look at time dilation.
    Converting years to months would mean looking at an approximate dilation frame of 12, which would occur somewhere between 0.995C and 0.999C (probably around 0.9951C)

    Yeah? So?

    This opens up a giant can of worms for the encounters between the Leviathans and the Coalition.
    When the wounded leviathan moved away from the Ark, it was trying to slow down with conventional drives [space speed 4] and calling earth for rescue (one must assume telepathically)
    If the mission on board the ark had been 2-3 days, that means the distress call reached Earth more than a month after the fact, and how do you have a telepathic conversation with someone with a 12X dilation in your reference frame? I can only imagine it was an SOS call from the leviathan to earth without two way communication.


    And to the avatar of Neil DeGrasse Tyson who lives in my head, please stop it and let me sleep.

    Time dilation reference: https://www.fourmilab.ch/cship/timedial.html

  • #2
    Time dilatation work for the ones on the ship, not for the people on the destination, it means for the coalition they are in a few mounts, while it will take the usual time from Earth’s point of view. They are travelling faster than light to take less than a year to get somewhere more tha 1 LY away.
    They must have a warp drive or something similar to do it.

    Edit: I misunderstood your post, I thought it would take a few mounts to get to Earth, but it will take years, as it goes near speed of light. If you go about 0,98c you have about 5x dilatation, 0,9999c you get 60x dilatation, enought to make 5 years turn into a mount.

    The problem here is to reach the speed, not how fast it is. As there is artificial gravity, there can be Inertial dampeners, also their motors can probably make a few hundred G. So it probably can make it in a few months to get to this speed.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 01-23-2019, 06:56 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I see nowhere in the book it states the ark is capable of FTL travel. Please cite a page.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is there reason to think it was a 2 way conversation and not an SOS? That seems to resolve any issue, but I don’t have the text on me.


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • #5
          The acceleration/deceleration of the ark came up in one of the original books where there was a mention of the ark making a pit stop to harvest a planet for resources (including the indigenous population) but it was just a note that it delayed their journey to Earth a little.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            Is there reason to think it was a 2 way conversation and not an SOS? That seems to resolve any issue, but I don’t have the text on me.
            Not specifically, it was just me pondering how relativity would interact with telepathy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              Is there reason to think it was a 2 way conversation and not an SOS? That seems to resolve any issue, but I don’t have the text on me.
              Yeah I would assume they sent messages rather the talked with a conversation.


              The Coalition has potential. It can be really generic and boring, or it can be cool and inspiring if given space and creativity. Like to me it seems they are like a reference to Halos Covenant.

              It has potential but they need to build on it.

              And Aeon Era it feels they are on the cusp of erupting into a space Opera. Like right now Earth only knows of a handful of Aliens, but as we can see with the Coalition who have been doing this for a long time there are a ton of Alien Civilizations. One Earth Fully embraces FTL and Colonies we will kick off to a More Mass Effect or Star Trek like Era where Earth is loosely allied to the Chromatics and Qin, and the Handful of Others like Coalition Refugees and Edenites and they encounter a new frontier of civilization to bring into their alliance or rival alliances.


              It is a time for great deeds!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

                The Coalition has potential. It can be really generic and boring, or it can be cool and inspiring if given space and creativity. Like to me it seems they are like a reference to Halos Covenant.
                Trinity 1e release date: November 10, 1997
                Halo 1 release date: November 15, 2001



                Ian A. A. Watson
                Onyx Path Community Manager

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                  And Aeon Era it feels they are on the cusp of erupting into a space Opera. Like right now Earth only knows of a handful of Aliens, but as we can see with the Coalition who have been doing this for a long time there are a ton of Alien Civilizations. One Earth Fully embraces FTL and Colonies we will kick off to a More Mass Effect or Star Trek like Era where Earth is loosely allied to the Chromatics and Qin, and the Handful of Others like Coalition Refugees and Edenites and they encounter a new frontier of civilization to bring into their alliance or rival alliances.
                  The AEon Era is set to feel like you can play space opera if you want to. But it's also set to feel like you can play cyberpunk, or Shadowrun-esque games, or Mad Max post apocalyptic style or whatever. It's deliberately designed to give you a wide range of locales and the styles that fit well with them. Exploring the stars in a space opera is absolutely legit as well.



                  Writer. Developer. WoD | CofD | The Trinity Continuum 19 books and counting...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

                    Trinity 1e release date: November 10, 1997
                    Halo 1 release date: November 15, 2001

                    Touché! I didn’t realize Trinity was released that lol g ago!


                    It is a time for great deeds!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

                      Trinity 1e release date: November 10, 1997
                      Halo 1 release date: November 15, 2001

                      Though for those of us who are old enough, it sometimes feels like it was inspired by the Pfhor in Marathon (1994)
                      Last edited by Baladain; 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Baladain View Post
                        Though for those of us who are old enough, it sometimes feels like it was inspired by the Pfhor in Marathon (1994)
                        There may have been some influence. I distinctly remember getting my ass repeatedly handed to me in Marathon in the old Stone Mountain office.

                        - C.
                        Last edited by Tegyrius; 01-29-2019, 07:31 PM.


                        Clayton A. Oliver | Formerly Ubiquitous

                        When the half-light starts to rise/And the long gone come back again
                        After the shortcuts and the highs/Comes the pain
                        And the rain

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

                          The AEon Era is set to feel like you can play space opera if you want to. But it's also set to feel like you can play cyberpunk, or Shadowrun-esque games, or Mad Max post apocalyptic style or whatever. It's deliberately designed to give you a wide range of locales and the styles that fit well with them. Exploring the stars in a space opera is absolutely legit as well.
                          That was one of the things I liked about the original game. Depending on what sci-fi genre you liked, there was probably a continent that focused on it. North America for cyberpunk, Europe for post-apocalyptic, Australia for military sci-fi, etc. One reason I was looking forward to the Africa book was that it seemed like it was going to be the optimistic not-quite-Star Trek utopia.


                          What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post

                            There may have been some influence. I distinctly remember getting my ass repeatedly handed to me in Marathon in the old Stone Mountain office.

                            - C.
                            You also were bullied by Richard Dansky's cat. It was clearly a hostile work environment.


                            What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by IanWatson View Post

                              Trinity 1e release date: November 10, 1997
                              Halo 1 release date: November 15, 2001


                              I feel so old. This game keeps making me remind myself that the original was over 20 years ago

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X