Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatantly and Shamelessly ripping off Comics

Okay so let me put this out there...
    When Aberrant hits I am not going to be afraid to flat out rip off comic heroes I like, and pop them in. I don’t mean reskin them so we have Spiderguy. I mean more reimagine the heroes but in my setting, kind of like what Ultimates did.

So I’ll add at least a few of the Heroes I like whole cloth like Spidey and Punished. And the FF and Batman and just see how worldbuilding goes since I don’t need to worry about Copyright with my world building.

Don’t get me wrong I’ll use the Trinity NPCs too, a lot of them are cool, like the first Three survivors of the Hammersmith event.
    But like with all superhero comics that are either new and independent or a major line like Marvel or DC when they explore a parallel world they populate it with a lot of throwaway generic heroes.
    But I’m going to decide which heroes I want I in a particular campaign, and maybe some don’t exist like say Thor, but they could exist popping in from another universe.

And also maybe I’ll play up more a mystery for N-Day. So it really seems a lot of Novas are the result of sci fi accidents with Chemicals and Energy, and the others are like Marvel Mutants Erupting do to a spontaneous quirk.

Tell me I’m not alone in at least trying a game that has Batman and or the Hulk in it!

It’s like I get to do a reboot my version of the Ultimate Universe, or Starbrands New Universal, or the Watchman World or the New 52. Yet I won’t be constrained by copyright because it will be a home game and not some video game or book.

It is a time for great deeds!

You worrie too much about copyright, if you are not making money on it, there is nothing wrong with using characters. I mean, there are a lot of files in the internet with the stats of hundreds of superheroes for several systems. There are lots of house rules, that if you make money on it would be a crime, but as it is for using at home there is no problem.

Anyway, I played a few of my favourite heroes on aberrant 1e, Wolverine was a Elite, Spider-Man was a comicioned city protector of the city we were playing, Hulk was a guy who erupted during a fight between novas and was tainted with the hulk extra personality.
    The problem is, guys like Super man are the ultimate guys from their universes, and it gets wrong to build them as inferior to guys like Pax, same for Magneto and Xavier, so you may need to exchange important guys, instead of just adding them.

But for sure many of them will be in my games...

Comment

No I’m saying I don’t have to worry about Copyright so I can go nutzo bonkers.

But I can see Thor/Superman/Hulk being Quantum 6+ but with Narrow focus. I am not as experienced in Aberrant, so I forget what levels are which, just 9 or 10 is Franklin Richards universe Creation.

But what about being Quantum 8 but narrowly focused on things like strength Durabilty it maybe level 5 or 6 in things like weather or heat vision.

But I don’t know how 2nd ed will handle things.

Comment

Back in the day, there were a number of efforts to stat up existing superheroes for Aberrant. I wish someone had archived some of them.

I think Q6+ level Aberrant is like having The Sentry, X-Man, and Starbrand travel across the galaxy to battle the Annihilation Wave. That or Doctor Manhattan standing around being a pretentious twit. I prefer the former.

Hmm. If I were to have ten existing comic book characters exist in Aberrant, they would be ... Morbius the Living Vampire, Luke Cage, The Flash, the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel, Elfen (from Malibu Comics), Savage Dragon, the second Mister Terrific, Firestorm, Spiderman and Superman.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

About Aberrant 2e rules, I think we wil have a much bigger impact from quantum than we had on 1e, at least on low quantum, same way we have on Psi variation on Aeon.

My top 10 would be Ultimate Hulk, Ultimate Thor (he do believe he is the god), Luke Cage (MCU), Jessica Jones (MCU, to pair up with Cage), Flash (tv show), Adan Warlock (just to see quantum 8+), Spider Man, Charles Xavier, Batman (as a Talent) and Lobo (aberrant, not alien).

Comment

I was talking to my friend at work and I said propose a league of Extraordinary Gentlemen style five man team and a similar bad guy team, from folks from fictions who can potentially be from roughly the same Era, fudge a few decades if you want.

So I proposed
            The Shadow as the mastermind, secret influence having Psychic Batman with a Gun. So Psiad/Mesmerists.

Doc Savage as the Leader, good at everything type of bloke. I could see him as really out their Talent, Or a Stalwart with super mental faculties and superior physicality. Or a Psiad/Psion/Mesmerist using subtler powers and tricksostly from Vitakinesis, but this is probably the least likely one.

Rip Van Winkle, say he is unstuck for time like Mercer, but always goes Forward in time, immortal and with a calling for bringing together Heroes. So Stage Two Talent like Mercer.

Boxer the Work Horse, a talking Horse from another Reality were Animals unionize towards Communism and pigs hyper evolved into Humanoid state. Say some Watcher like super Omnicent Being saves Boxer from being turned into Glue and he is returned to the Prime of his life. So Talent Horse from Another Universe. The Heart of the Team, and the ever Optomistic one.

And I don’t know who for the 5th. Was going to go with original style Batman, but he is largely filled in by the Shadow.

My Friend suggested maybe A real Person like Einstein, or I would go George Washington Carver But he was getting old.

So I guess Tarzan then, rather then say John Carter of Mars. He would be a Daredevil Talent, and I would maybe dip into a bit of Kazar or hell out right use Kazar.

For the Bad guys.

Dr. Mureau, a Stalwart/Nova with super intelligence and technology to make Animalmen.

Dr. Caligarri, maybe as Mysterious Joker like figure, and blend in his character with the story he took his name from an Italian Mytic. So he can be like a Mad Mesmerist.

Dr. Giacomo Rappacinni, another Mad Scientist contemporary of Dr. Mureau but who specializes in Poisons and Plants. So a Stalwart/Nova Supergenius but who also has tech like Dr. Mureau but that specializes in Flora, Toxins and hybridization of such thing with Humans

C. Montgomery Burn, wealthy Tycoon and owner of a diverse portfolio of unsavory businesses, especially in the Energy Fields, and Industrialization. Naturally he would be portrayed as less Cartoonish, and he would be younger yet still frail and old seeming. He would be a super rich Talent. Or if you want to be odd he could be some sort of immortal Monster, or maybe A Nova secret survivor of the Hammersmith Incident. He would have access to super tech, especially concerning radiation, and his unsavory practices have resulted in Quantum Tainted Aberrant Humans, Animals, and Plants. He could be the Dark Heart of this Cabal bringing together the others and facilitating their cooperation and blending everyone’s specialized mad sciences.

And for the fifth Villain...hmm so many other options!!!

Maybe Count Orlock, as an immortal Nova, tainted to eat human blood and burn at the sun. Maybe dip into some of Shadow of the Vampire to hint at his senility and give him some relatability. Make him an associate of Burns. Maybe he can no longer Sire others like him and he forgot much of his past but still give him the essence of evil and some shapeshifting and psychic powers and some super strength. Maybe give him some Aberrant servants in the form of devils and werewolves. Maybe I would tie him into my Aphelion setting.

Comment

Okay so at first I liked the idea of the Shadow and Batman being in my settings. But then I got to think about including Batman’s origins dating back at least to the 1930’s. So I thought why not make these Heroes a mantle passed with the generations. So Batman has his protégés and descendants taking up the Mantle, so first Bruce Wayne, and then Dick Grayson taking the mantle of the Next Batman.

But then I got to thinking if the Phantom exists in this world too, which I got the idea of the legacy mantle from, should I make these different Legacies all part of one Allegiance? One Allegiance composed of Legacy Branches for each Mantle spread across the Globe, or would they just be a host of a few dozen Small Allegiances?

So I’m thinking of calling it the Legacy of the Man Who Cannot Die, and it would include the mantle of the Shadow, The Batman, the Phantom, El Zorro, the Spirit, The Ghost Rider (the cowboy but I like the idea of maybe mixing the biker and the cowboy kind of like how the Nick Cage Movie implied Sam Eliot was the previous Ghost Rider), The Grey Ghost, The Hood (Robin Hood and his Merry Men legacy) and a few other ideas.

I’m thinking of Also include Ras al Ghul and his League of Shadows, and possibly even have them as the progenitors of the Legacy. My Version of the League of Shadows in turn is Legacy of the 10,000 Immortals of Persia, with Al Ghul As a member who discovered the Lazarus Pits in an attempt at true immortality, rather then living as a figuratively immortal figure in the faceless League of Shadows. With the Legacy of the Man who Cannot die starting with Christopher Walker a British Sailor. Christopher joined the League to receive the training to get his revenge, and in 1536 he got his revenge but discovered the cutthroat and treacherous nature of the League of Shadows and their connections in getting his father slain by the reavers of the sea, his father it turns out was a member of the League of Shadows who upon failing a mission chose to fake his own death rather then take his own life to make amends to the League, the Pirates, also secretly part of the League, also inevitably drew the ire of the League and thus were in turn killed by Walker. Walker knew he would be hunted forever by the League and chose to use their traditions and tactics against them, and he became a Phantom and choose to make his Lair in the mysterious Skull Cave off the coast of the hidden nation of Bangalla, where he made his oath of revenge in the skull of his fathers killer. There he recuperated and married, training his eldest son to take the mantle and fight his war. And from this point the Phantom was known as an immortal who could not die, but in truth there would always be another member of the Family trained to replace the previous Phantom, whether a son, or nephew or brother.

Centuries later in the decades following the American Civil War the Phantom of the time discovered similar living legends, vigilantes taking the titles of their mentors, swashbuckling Mexican foxes gunslinging spirits and lone rangers. The Phantom was always a world traveler by nature to take the fight to the League of Shadows were ever they could be found, the Phantom gathered this vigilantes and they discussed the evils of the world, the need to were Masks to protect their families, Strike fear in their enemies and perhaps most importantly to make their ideals immortal. These first individuals swore a common oath, the Oath of the Man Who Cannot Die and accepted each other’s enemies as their own, and agreed to help ensure their legacies did not end with an unlucky demise at hands of a foe while without an heir. The Phantom shared the journals of his predecessors and the stories of his new allies, and over time they inducted more into the growing Legacy of the Man Who Cannot Die, noticeably swelling after the Great War, while searching for the Black Tulku, a mystic said to know the secrets of reincarnation who was both a mentor and nemesis of the League of Shadows, they discovered the Black Eagle a British War hero who left behind his life as a man to become a living legend, and his protege the man who would become the Shadow. Both knew the mystic secrets of mesmerism and could obfuscate men’s minds and read their hearts. In the wake of the Great Depression a man who was a bat ensured crime would not festor while many of the Men Who Could Not Die found themselves drawn to battles the Axis of Evil in the Theater if War discovering the Merry Men and the lineage of Loxley. Some strange happenings seemed to swell their ranks greatly in these decades following the war, but similarly their foes numbers grew beyond counting, and not just men of wicked hearts and men who laughed, but also those who were more then men or who never were men.

Comment

There was an old Silver Age bit with The Batmen of Many Nations, with a dozen or so guys from around the world who were inspired by Batman to become caped crusaders of their own countries. Grant Morrison used it as the basis for the pre-New 52 Batman Incorporated series. The British pair, Knight and Squire, got their own miniseries, which was a lot of fun. (Several of them had cameos in Kingdom Come, including a new one, the New Gods' Batwoman of New Genesis and her giant bat-hound Ace.) Green Arrow had a similar group as well IIRC.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                  There was an old Silver Age bit with The Batmen of Many Nations, with a dozen or so guys from around the world who were inspired by Batman to become caped crusaders of their own countries. Grant Morrison used it as the basis for the pre-New 52 Batman Incorporated series. The British pair, Knight and Squire, got their own miniseries, which was a lot of fun. (Several of them had cameos in Kingdom Come, including a new one, the New Gods' Batwoman of New Genesis and her giant bat-hound Ace.) Green Arrow had a similar group as well IIRC.
                  That interesting, and right up the ally of what I was thinking about. I’ve heard about it but never read any of it. I must have missed the New Genesis Kingdom Come Batwoman and the Ace homage to Batman Beyond, or was it a comic after the initial miniseries.

If I were to use Superman I I think I would start with Golden Age Superman, as I found him most interesting. Being stronger then a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single Bound, and faster then a speeding bullet is still hella beefed out without being the ridiculous Silver age Superman. Besides it would be fun to have an actual Alien Nova, I mean Maybe Krypton is a nonEarth Branch of Humanity, or like in Red Son a future humanity sending one survivor to the Past. Or a parallel World doomed due to an Early Nova Age, Maybe this World had the Hammersmith Incident erupt only in Quantum.

Maybe I can make an Alien refugee group (allegiance?). So Golden Age Superman, Martian Manhunter, The Skrullian Skymaster, The Greenlantern, and Maybe Hyperion and I don’t know a child of Asgard or Olympus. And that latest incarnation of the Shi’ar Praetorian Guard Member, The Smasher, and someone like the Kree Marvel Boy, or the original Mar-Vell! Hmm hell even the Silver Surfer it I dipped high into the power scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

That interesting, and right up the ally of what I was thinking about. I’ve heard about it but never read any of it. I must have missed the New Genesis Kingdom Come Batwoman and the Ace homage to Batman Beyond, or was it a comic after the initial miniseries.
                    They were a number of characters who only appeared in the background and were only identified in Alex Ross's art notes, including the identifications of everyone on the covers of issues 1 thru 3. Batwoman and Ace are on the back upper left corner of number 3 (the one with Batman and all of his allies). The pair are homages to the original Batwoman and Ace the Bat-hound from the 1950s comics. The originals, along with the Batmen of Many Nations, also appear in the Batman: The Brave & The Bold cartoon.

Comment

Of course I know it’s your game and all, and if you are having fun that’s the important part, but I think Aberrant is about people with superpowers, focused on PEOPLE with superpowers, not about saving the world or superheroes.

It’s not like “what would you do with powers”, it may start as this, but the theme changes in the 2nd or 3rd session as it is hard to keep the characters busy on this theme for too long. It’s more about the interaction of people when they have different scales of power and their response over their actions, it includes the governments, the agencies, and all. If the characters were never human, they would not be able to face the same way the situations and the other powers would treat them in a different way (probably killing and studying ASAP)... more like Man of Iron than Superman...

Comment

Well they are perfectly serviceable as NPCs though.

And if you were an Alien Nova, especially one that was mostly human or actually human like from another parallel Earth then it fits very well with the Gameline just with an exotic backstory.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

They were a number of characters who only appeared in the background and were only identified in Alex Ross's art notes, including the identifications of everyone on the covers of issues 1 thru 3. Batwoman and Ace are on the back upper left corner of number 3 (the one with Batman and all of his allies). The pair are homages to the original Batwoman and Ace the Bat-hound from the 1950s comics. The originals, along with the Batmen of Many Nations, also appear in the Batman: The Brave & The Bold cartoon.
                          Okay I remember that art splat, you had to use the Numbers to find the names of the people.

Kingdom Come and Earth X are my top inspirations for the Aberrant War Boiling Over. Kingdom come for to many Children of Novas and Earth X for the Worlds population Erupting and the difficulties associated with that and having no kids.

Comment

Kingdom Come is an interesting look at what happens when you have a bunch of superhumans who have no real purpose in life beyond fighting each other for the hell of it suddenly confronted by a bunch of superhumans who think superhumans should stand for something more and try to enforce that, only to end up being confronted by a third faction who believe group B - no matter how wall meaning - are doomed to failure and only making things worse, and non-powered humanity finally having enough and trying to put an end to all superhumans. Almost everyone in the story suffers from the tragic flaw of hubris. It's also interesting to try to figure out which characters or groups in Aberrant might theoretically fit in which of the above factions.

If you've never read it, I also recommend Mark Gruenwald and Bob Hall's Squadron Supreme miniseries from the late 80s, in which the group (who are essentially the Justice League) take over their world and try to turn it into a utopia, only to be corrupted by their efforts.

And in the realm of superhuman wars, Robert Kirkman's Invincible does the concept very well and often very brutally.

And my own "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" inspired bit was set in 1810 and involved a Burton-inspired Ichabod Crane, a divinely protected John Chapman/Johnny Appleseed, a Thomas Rhymer riff on Rip Van Winkle, and a grown Johnny Tremane possessing Masonic magical abilities gathered by a mysterious Brother Johnathon to stop Frankenstein's Monster and his unwilling servant Feathertop from using the key from Ben Franklin's kite experiment for nefarious purposes.

Comment

I like that Benjamin Franklin’s key, bit, I alway love it when that’s introduced, I got to remember to use that. My 1820’s early 1830’s team up was Rip Van Winkle, El Zorro, Natty Bumpo... Gosh where’s my notes I wish I wrote it down because I had to brainstorm a lot... I think the Immortal Santa Claus, I think he didn’t deliver to the entire world I was thinking he was Retired while his legend grew. Then I was wanting to do something like a descendent if Inspector Dee, and I considered one Ahab but I felt I may have used him more as a morally grey bloke. But they would represent a North American team. So what about Jim Crow, more like he Invisibles Style Jim so a houngan and trickster, or Quasimodo?

But the bad guys I had a wild idea for a set of inhuman immortal blokes all not from the America’s, so Frankenstein’s Monster, Dracula, the Kurgan, The Ancient Mariner and the Erlking. The idea being they were all attacked to investigate the opportunity to go to America, Frankenstein first (maybe use that Ben Franklin’s Key idea as something the monster senses and craves, the Kurgan second sensing his quickening and a chance to butcher mortals in the frontier of the World, Dracula and the Erlking sensing and following a prophetic encounter with the Ancient Mariner. Maybe the Key can unlock Frankenstein Juniors desire for purpose, but can also lead the Kurgan to more Immortals and enhance his Quickenig, the Mariner believes it can unlock his cursed Existence. Meanwhile Dracula is suffering from ennui and finds things interesting to go to the New World and sup upon the maidens there unprotected as they are, and the Erlking just follows a German Family out west and then plans to kidnap a whole village using the Key as a method to spirit away more then just a single target at once.

Comment

Working...
                              X