A Question about Aiming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question about Aiming

The Edge Sniper 1 Dead Calm says: "Double the Enhancement your character gains from taking the time to carefully aim an attack."

I am unsure how that works.

Do i double the Enhancment Bonus of the Weapon?
    I haven't found a Stunt that involves aiming, that would give such an enhancement bonus.

Maybe i missed something in the book.

I looked for it too, with no results. It looks like one of those GM choices.
    I would add a +1 Enhancement to aiming any shot if you spend one turn aiming. If the gun is a long gun and have a scope you get a +2. Snipers double it.

Comment

Mateus Luz: Thank you i will use that.

But i would also like to have an offical answer to it.

Comment

Another option that may be interesting is a dinamic bonus, you take a action to aim, roll Aim + Cunning to check the environment difficulty equals to the difficulty of a regular attack against the target. Any additional success are added as Enhancements on the proper shot, as if you were using the Feint Stunt. It may be a more elegant way to make sure a trained shooter that can understand the environment takes more advantage of the action.

I, as a untrained, could spend an entire afternoon aiming with no better result on my final shot, but a sniper would do much better by spending a few extra seconds.

Comment

Not a bad idea, but i am a little scared about doubling it, with the edge.

That might become too powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilliane View Post
            The Edge Sniper 1 Dead Calm says: "Double the Enhancement your character gains from taking the time to carefully aim an attack."

I am unsure how that works.

Do i double the Enhancment Bonus of the Weapon?
            I haven't found a Stunt that involves aiming, that would give such an enhancement bonus.

Maybe i missed something in the book.
            This is a house rule, but what I use is each action spent aiming gives +1 Enhancement, up to a number of turns equal to the character’s Aim skill. Sniper doubles the bonus per turn, with the same turn limit.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Thank you both for your answers. I will give it a try with my group.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post

This is a house rule, but what I use is each action spent aiming gives +1 Enhancement, up to a number of turns equal to the character’s Aim skill. Sniper doubles the bonus per turn, with the same turn limit.
                I assume you also top it out at +3 Enhancement as the recommended normal maximum enhancement, with +5 being on the extreme side and the absolute max not counting scale?

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                Current Focus
                Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                  I assume you also top it out at +3 Enhancement as the recommended normal maximum enhancement, with +5 being on the extreme side and the absolute max not counting scale?
                  No I don’t, I let each round add +1 up to the dots in Aim. I double the final bonus with Sniper. The reasoning is firstly that it’s an Edge - a player wanted to take it and they want to get good, fun use out of it, so I let them. Secondly, each round they want to spend doing nothing but aiming is a round they’re doing nothing but aiming. I figure that patience in setting up what they want deserves a reward in itself. Also, while I recall that Scion calls out +3 Enhancement as recommended maximum, I don’t remember Trinity Continuum doing the same. (Feel free to correct me if I’ve missed the reference.) I see this as a strength of the Storypath system, that it’s scalable and adaptable to different settings and expectations through adjusting the various dials.

But I’d also make clear that I believe the Sniper question came up in errata and my current take is just a house rule until the errata are incorporated. Once that’s done I’ll use whatever the system says there. 🙂

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

My initial reaction is the +1 per round aiming feels very CoD and higher health track. I would think the final may be aim +1 (sniper+2) or aim/gear-scope +2 (sniper +3 or +4) which still hits the core mechanic

Best regards

Roleplaying not Rollplaying or Ruleplaying
                    Current Focus
                    Storypath & Storypath to Run CoD, VtR, WtF, MtA
                    Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Comment

My idea is still Aim + Cunning against the target every round to gain enhancements, but never more than aim skill. Sniper doubles it. If miss the test loses all the staked enhancements... it’s not a matter of sitting and waiting, you are preparing the gun to shoot in the exact moment, and you can lose the timing, a leaf can fall just in front of the scope, you may get distracted by another possible target, I don’t know... and you get momentum if you miss the aiming test, what’s fair...

Gear scope works different, it allows the shooter to have one extra preferential range band, so a assault rifle is Designed for close range, with a scope it gets Medium range (100m with no penalty). You can have a Long reach sniper rifle with range bands of medium (30 to 100m) and long (100m to 1km), allowing a quite long shot with no penalties, but lacking the precision for short range shoots...

Comment

Originally posted by Graylion View Post
                        My initial reaction is the +1 per round aiming feels very CoD and higher health track. I would think the final may be aim +1 (sniper+2) or aim/gear-scope +2 (sniper +3 or +4) which still hits the core mechanic

Best regards
                        Except aren't you doing a max of two injuries? One for the do damage enhancement and one for the critical hit enhancement? All those extra successes could be used buy off difficulties like range, cover, darkness, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
                          Except aren't you doing a max of two injuries? One for the do damage enhancement and one for the critical hit enhancement? All those extra successes could be used buy off difficulties like range, cover, darkness, etc.
                          Correct. You’re not one-shotting major characters. You’ll put them in a bad situation and set them up for your allies.

(Unless scale comes into it, but the errata team are clarifying when scale applies as well.)
                          Last edited by Bunyip; 03-07-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X