No announcement yet.

[Necro] Why such a boring future USA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Aeon is fun because it handles so many Genres, but also it stretches credulity because it tries to fit in so many Genres. You can’t have Star Trek, and Mass Effect and Fallout, and Judge Dredd at the same time, it makes little sense. It can be fun though.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

At least not on the same planet.

Comment

That’s probably the reason Aberrant is so much more famous than Trinity. But I do like the systemic view of the setting and the meta plot... I really loved all that I played on 1e, much of space exploration and war, some conspiration... actually a lot conspiration by the end... and the plot twists...

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

An easier way to deal with the setting is that the book as presented is as Planetary Authorities wish the place as presented. There is always degrees in any setting

Comment

Holy dark powers of necromancy Batman

Comment

Originally posted by TheWanderingJewels View Post
              An easier way to deal with the setting is that the book as presented is as Planetary Authorities wish the place as presented. There is always degrees in any setting
              Ohh that's an interesting twist!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

You know, America being torn into a number of competing (semi-hostile) countries following disaster of some kind if not just descending into a hellscape dotted with city states really seems to be the cliche. Outside of Judge Dredd -- which is basically every crap-sack future ever -- the fascist junta is comparatively rare as American futures in pop culture go; assuming lack of apocalypse as definitive event, usually it's the megacorp (cyberpunk) dystopia.

Given the genre-splatification was an edict forced onto the setting from on high by White Wolf's bosses and not what the designers had originally intended, I had hoped that 2e while obviously beholden to its predecessor would have felt a bit more nuanced in presenting the non-western ascendency to a predominantly western audience but limited space is limited space I guess.

Comment

Honestly, for me, the events going onon Earth in Aeon are literally something I care zero about. Mostly because I am not really a fan of the way the world is presented.

(Truthfully its the same with Aberrant, I'm not a fan of how the natioms of the world are set up.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1001100x02 View Post
                    You know, America being torn into a number of competing (semi-hostile) countries following disaster of some kind if not just descending into a hellscape dotted with city states really seems to be the cliche. Outside of Judge Dredd -- which is basically every crap-sack future ever -- the fascist junta is comparatively rare as American futures in pop culture go; assuming lack of apocalypse as definitive event, usually it's the megacorp (cyberpunk) dystopia.
                    For what it's worth, my issue with the FSA isn't whether or not it's cliche; it's whether or not it's believable. And even the “military junta allowed with megacorps” isn't something I find unbelievable; only the choice of culprits.

Originally posted by 1001100x02 View Post
                    Given the genre-splatification was an edict forced onto the setting from on high by White Wolf's bosses and not what the designers had originally intended, I had hoped that 2e while obviously beholden to its predecessor would have felt a bit more nuanced in presenting the non-western ascendency to a predominantly western audience but limited space is limited space I guess.
                    I wasn't aware of the genre-splatification being an edict forced into the setting from on high. That said, it's pretty much a moot point: the “powers on high” are gone, but so are the original developers.

Still, I'm curious how you would have done it differently.

Comment

• Trinity world was always an RPG setting first. It does lack lived in history so to say. That is not really the issue, because the game lines were always metaplot driven first(Insert Abberant second edition rant here). It is just not smart to delve deep into the backgrounds as the setting really does not hold up water to a significant degree and honestly never quite did.
                      It does have bland corporatist junta, si you can have your cyberpunk adventure, that is all there is to it. Is it kinda bland and nonsensical in the large scheme, yes, but it does not quite matter.

Comment

• Had to double check to see if it was this thread or the other eerily similar thread where I made this statement, but I feel like the FSA section in 2e makes a lot more sense if you flip back and forth to the timeline to remember that all of the formative events of the FSA happen during the Aberrant War. On top of that, if you keep in mind that the USA was arguably the front line of the whole conflict, getting the brunt of the carnage, the situation seems just dire enough for things to go the way they do.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't perfect, it tries to drive the point home a little too far sometimes, but it isn't so easily dismissed either.

Raksha are my fae-vorite.

Reincarnation of magnificentmomo.

Comment

• Any setting made by a limited number of people will lack something from the point of view of others. In the end Aeon time line has a better foundation than most of the modern and post-apocalipse settings.

I would change only a few things (immigration to FSA for sure, replacing the immigrants by regular poor people and the regular people by robots create a similar effect). But I really don’t plan to go deep into any of this aspects in my games... I do prefere the space stuff (Portal core screaming: Space Space Space!)

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
                          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                          https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

• Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                            Any setting made by a limited number of people will lack something from the point of view of others. In the end Aeon time line has a better foundation than most of the modern and post-apocalipse settings.

I would change only a few things (immigration to FSA for sure, replacing the immigrants by regular poor people and the regular people by robots create a similar effect). But I really don’t plan to go deep into any of this aspects in my games... I do prefere the space stuff (Portal core screaming: Space Space Space!)
                            This is an interesting tidbit here and I think it bears thinking about. First edition was heavily metaplot driven and in retrospect, trinity is unmoored without it. Aeon does get off lightly, because the metaplot is still there,unlike Aberrant(insert second Aberrant second edition rant here), but it feels like the focus on metaplot did more good in case of trinity unlike WoD and its loss at least to me seems to be a significant loss to the setting in retrospect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                              In the 1st ed. they were a mafia-like group with political pretentions.
                              While true, they are nothing like that in 2nd ed. We tweaked all the Psi Orders a bit, but they are the Legions were two we looked at and gave a great big nope - mercenaries are not heroic (as I stated in my setting bible, written many years ago now, when I think of mercs, I think Blackwater & Erik Prince), and having the South American psi order be a narco-gang was from my PoV deeply offensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWanderingJewels View Post
                                I lean Libertarian & Classical liberal myself, but I can see how the FSA ended up the way it did. The USA lead the pack on integration of Nova’s into society which went rather badly as the instability of the Nova’s turned Abberants started to become apparent. Given the standard heavy handedness that Homeland Security (and law enforcement in general) tends to pull to respond to problems caused the situation to escalate quickly.

Now combine this with the standard news feed which is more interested in creating controversy and conflict to make money and preserve the status quo (in spite of pretensions otherwise). Most of the regular media does this. Now add some really pissed off Abberants who’d prefer to be left to their own devices and have rapidly grown in power. Give even just a basic few of them tactics and the ability to go after the people actually making the decisions to make there lives miserable and things will spiral fast.

Level a major city or two by both sides and shit gets real real fast, real no sense of humor locking things down and trying to wipe the Aberrants out. This turns out about as well as one would think. I also imagine the Abberants going after anyone making Anti-Abberant propaganda. As political ideology likely won’t mean much too them, they will hit news, entertainment, and government outlets equally to get the message makers too frightened to speak out.
                                Now add the other events we see. Wycoff in particular as that cripples food production, and when it comes to survival and prevention of food riots, the rules go out the window, and the surviving government declares martial law and rolls out the military to grab food production centers (and worrying about Abberants become a much less priority) and try to keep things stable.

Local stabilization is likely to be rough for a while as the various Area commands try to stabilize things so that people can eat properly. Vertical farming will be rather expensive, but needed, so that would eat into budgets needing to go elsewhere, so you would get some of that lovely dystopia vibe.

You also will get calls for Unity as that will be needed to get things back up and running in a sane manner. That will likely mean suppression of anything outside of the party line and rebuilding the population (The start of Totalitarianism). Anything else will be frowned on, but unless it’s an immediate threat, local commands will have better things to do. That said, anything that is perceived to threaten social stability and order is likely to get it in the back of the head with a coilgun. So Modernism & Post-modernism and it’s derivations get chucked out the window hard.

That means the Entertainment & News sector is going to get a visit from Homeland with explicit instructions on what they will do to help rebuild society. The few that resist won’t exist anymore, and the rest will get the message, if not comply willingly when first asked. Education at all levels will be reconfigured to what is needed to help rebuild. It’s not nice, but it is logical.

Now give it about 60 years, and you get the FSA.
                                Well said. It's also important to keep in mind how much of a mess the US was well before Wycoff detonated. 7 years before that half of Florida was destroyed, killing a not insignificant portion of the US population in an instant. Then there are all the battles between novas/Aberrants and between humans and Aberrants in between 2054 to 2061. The US had a significantly higher proportion of the world population of novas than any other nation, and when they started going ultra-violent most of then did so in the US. So, the US was already in deeply terrible shape with a panicked population, and an economy that was a serious mess, and then Wycoff killed off most of US agriculture. You didn't have a robust and thriving nation suddenly facing food shortages, you have a nation that looked only slightly better than France or Germany in 1946, and then its facing food shortages.

Comment

Working...
                                X