[Necro] Why such a boring future USA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    I would say you are right about both. Sudamerica looks like the opposite of FSA, it’s so “Liberal” that it turns around and start causing pressures to the population, if you are a little of the extreme you have a big problem.

Africa, I have commented a few days ago, is one of my mais concerns about how it’s possible. The differences between African nations are much bigger than the European, and we have Brexit. UAN would need to go thru something huge to exist. At same time, urban schism and the portable generator and makers make it possible to live your life in a remote place with no problems related to lack of technology or comunication, that can make it works. As I see, once you can keep your ville (not sure if it’s the right word in the situation) with all that the population need, the fights against near villes are reduced a lot (it would not disappear, but reduce gradually) making it possible to interact on a civilised way more often.
    Still, it a HUGE step to unite all the continent.
    My initial vision of Sudamerica and the UAN (which was then changed and built upon in many awesome ways by several excellent authors) was that Sudamerica is a mostly positive vision of the future of the US - there's some inequality and corruption, but things are mostly headed in the right direction, and while the Gini Quotient isn't ideal, it's still a region where freedom is both real and important and where abject poverty is gone, and people can meaningfully hope for a better life. Meanwhile, the UAN is the a similar vision of the EU - a vast multicultural social democracy with vast differences, but also a common sense of purpose, and a serious commitment to care for all of its citizens.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Snead View Post
      While true, they are nothing like that in 2nd ed. We tweaked all the Psi Orders a bit, but they are the Legions were two we looked at and gave a great big nope - mercenaries are not heroic (as I stated in my setting bible, written many years ago now, when I think of mercs, I think Blackwater & Erik Prince), and having the South American psi order be a narco-gang was from my PoV deeply offensive.
      So just to clarify the big orders are supposed to be heroic, even if they their reputations are slandered like the Quanta Ks. Its offensive to not make Orders idealized and heroic because they are based off of Region/Culture but individual nations are allowed to be the opposite of this like Mexico being a Totalitarian Dystopia of inequality? I'm confused why that is fine but South America had to tone down drugs, crimelords, and violence.

Its not a concern that the perception of a double standard can be deeply offensive?

And again I think the Cataclysm of Florida being destroyed and major Wastelands from Nova conflicts are a strong point in forming the FSA. Its a lot more viable that crazy stuff happens because honestly most any large nation could do a 180 after a disaster of that magnitude as things are no longer predicatable and any number of factions could rise to power in the chaos. Its that framework I feel that can build towards making a more viable backstory for something like the FSA.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

So just to clarify the big orders are supposed to be heroic, even if they their reputations are slandered like the Quanta Ks. Its offensive to not make Orders idealized and heroic because they are based off of Region/Culture but individual nations are allowed to be the opposite of this like Mexico being a Totalitarian Dystopia of inequality? I'm confused why that is fine but South America had to tone down drugs, crimelords, and violence.

Its not a concern that the perception of a double standard can be deeply offensive?

And again I think the Cataclysm of Florida being destroyed and major Wastelands from Nova conflicts are a strong point in forming the FSA. Its a lot more viable that crazy stuff happens because honestly most any large nation could do a 180 after a disaster of that magnitude as things are no longer predicatable and any number of factions could rise to power in the chaos. Its that framework I feel that can build towards making a more viable backstory for something like the FSA.

Its offensive to make the Orders of such dubious and questionable morality that they seem borderline villainous, because they are almost universally going to be one of your Paths if you're playing a Psion of their associated aptitude.
        Choosing to have your character be associated with a morally dubious drug cartel is all fine and dandy, but when that association is all but forced upon you simply because you want to play a biokinetic then that can kinda suck.
        Last edited by Elowin; 03-14-2020, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elowin View Post
          Its offensive to make the Orders of such dubious and questionable morality that they seem borderline villainous, because they are almost universally going to be one of your Paths if you're playing a Psion of their associated aptitude.
          Choosing to have your character be associated with a morally dubious drug cartel is all fine and dandy, but when that association is all but forced upon you simply because you want to play a biokinetic then that can kinda suck.
          Yep - that's about 60% of the issue - there was *way* too much emphasis on the Orders and the Aeon Trinity being morally pretty dark grey in 1e. This setting is about heroes and heroism, and while it's awesome storytelling to have there be bad actors in various Orders or in the Aeon Trinity, the whole point of the setting is that most people aren't evil or actively abetting evil and corruption. As a result, when the PCs find the villains within the Order or the Aeon Trinity, and pass their evidence to the organization's leaders, the people and the problems they created will actually be dealt with, not swept under the rug.

The other 40% of the reason is that each Order is tied to a location and is in some sense the exemplar of that nation or region - and having the exemplar for South America be a drug cartel is not a good look.

Comment

Working...
          X