Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why such a boring future USA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why such a boring future USA?

    The USA in Aeon is dull. It's a bitter screed that follows anti-American tropes of the coarsest types. One might simply get a copy of Just what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_w...o_appealing%3F) and use that. Other areas of the planet are treated with at least some imagination and allowed to be different, why is no imagination of any kind used for the USA? Even as dystopian warning the future of North America is a complete flop. Could something better be offered? Even as Cyberpunk this future USA reads like a 1950s right-wing screed about the future of democracy.

    Last edited by Astromancer; 02-08-2019, 11:42 AM.

  • #2
    I agree. I think they were trying to make some sort of political statement, but it flopped and it’s pretty meh.

    I was thinking maybe if having an heir to the Union in Hawaii. Maybe even restart the states with Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa, and what is the state of the Philippines in Aeon? These five states could combine with say five various space Colonies to form some sort of Union of Neuvo America or something.

    It could be pretty neat, maybe add another terrestrial state under the sea!


    It is a time for great deeds!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      I agree. I think they were trying to make some sort of political statement, but it flopped and it’s pretty meh.

      I was thinking maybe if having an heir to the Union in Hawaii. Maybe even restart the states with Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa, and what is the state of the Philippines in Aeon? These five states could combine with say five various space Colonies to form some sort of Union of Neuvo America or something.

      It could be pretty neat, maybe add another terrestrial state under the sea!
      Good idea. Have nations out there that uphold the actual ideals of the USA and/or Canada challenge the corrupt mess that infests North America.

      Note: As the Biokinetic leader is anti-American it always surprised me that he didn't support a government guaranteed to make life in North America a living hell and protect his status as the sole dominant power in the Western Hemisphere.

      Perhaps the Norca have backdoor relationships with the North American dictators and corporations designed to keep the people in chains.
      Last edited by Astromancer; 02-08-2019, 12:02 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
        The USA in Aeon is dull. It's a bitter screed that follows anti-American tropes of the coarsest types. One might simply get a copy of Just what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_w...o_appealing%3F) and use that. Other areas of the planet are treated with at least some imagination and allowed to be different, why is no imagination of any kind used for the USA? Even as dystopian warning the future of North America is a complete flop. Could something better be offered? Even as Cyberpunk this future USA reads like a 1950s right-wing screed about the future of democracy.
        A right-wing screed? Voting rights determined by property taxes payed making the Megacorps the law. The military completely conflated with national identity. This is a left-wing view of dystopia, playing off of real far right proposals like rerestricting voting rights to property owners.


        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

        Comment


        • #5
          Del Fuego is “anti-American” because he’s anti-Norte imperialism. The FSA is an imperialist power.


          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

            A right-wing screed? Voting rights determined by property taxes payed making the Megacorps the law. The military completely conflated with national identity. This is a left-wing view of dystopia, playing off of real far right proposals like rerestricting voting rights to property owners.
            I think that is what he meant, it’s a screwed against right wing rather then a screed by right wing, so as you said a left wing dystopian view.


            It is a time for great deeds!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
              The USA in Aeon is dull. It's a bitter screed that follows anti-American tropes of the coarsest types. One might simply get a copy of Just what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_w...o_appealing%3F) and use that. Other areas of the planet are treated with at least some imagination and allowed to be different, why is no imagination of any kind used for the USA? Even as dystopian warning the future of North America is a complete flop. Could something better be offered? Even as Cyberpunk this future USA reads like a 1950s right-wing screed about the future of democracy.
              Because the USA being the heroes is a damn cliche that I'm glad was avoided. It also emphasizes how fortunes have turned-the USA has collapsed and been replaced with a hellhole, and Africa is the shining continent on a hill (that hawks the values the FSA abandoned).

              Besides, this allows one of the more interesting factions in the form of Orgotek, which is pretty much a pean to what is good about capitalism and the American way contrasted to a government that would much rather be the worst. Norca being villains simply because of their FSA skepticism sounds...off. Their whole thing is that they're an insurrection that didn't go wrong and now exists in harmony with the government they propped up.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Leliel View Post

                Because the USA being the heroes is a damn cliche that I'm glad was avoided. It also emphasizes how fortunes have turned-the USA has collapsed and been replaced with a hellhole, and Africa is the shining continent on a hill (that hawks the values the FSA abandoned).

                Besides, this allows one of the more interesting factions in the form of Orgotek, which is pretty much a pean to what is good about capitalism and the American way contrasted to a government that would much rather be the worst. Norca being villains simply because of their FSA skepticism sounds...off. Their whole thing is that they're an insurrection that didn't go wrong and now exists in harmony with the government they propped up.
                ...he didn’t say making the US heroes...
                And by that reasoning it’s also cliche to make them the Dystopian Jingoistic menace.

                What he is saying is if they are making them the bad guys they could have been more interesting with it. I mean now Canada and Mexico are part of it so I guess they also are bad guys now and that is new...


                It is a time for great deeds!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Del Fuego is anti-american because it’s the standard position of left wing in Latin America. Latin America was a poor place during colonisation, the same way North America. We received lots of immigrants after the end of colonisation until WWII and when we had a chance to grow as US did between WWI and II, US start planting the anti-communist flag that turned most of the countries into dictatorships (to avoid communist dictators we got capitalist dictators, same think, different colours).

                  You need to understand that American way of ruling over other countries cause a big issue for the poor people, investing on companies and forcing the countries government to reduce their taxes makes the rich richer and the poor poorer (just discovered poorer is a real word). Of course it’s not US business to take care of other countries populations, but for most of the population of the rest of the world, US is the villain of global politics, with some pointing to North Korea or Russia.

                  From a non American point of view, the FSA is a kind of exaggerated USA. US used to be the Land of Freedom, now they give up on freedom for safety, it’s a matter of time to lose more and more freedom.

                  Also they needed a place where MegaCorp rules above all, and what is the best place if not the origin of most of all MegaCorp?

                  Last but not least, comes the in universe situation: Aberrant War were against the country that would be capable of going against Aberrants, that’s not the case for most non developed countries (even after all the improvements from the Novas). So Europe and US were the ones that really suffered, US above all because they had the largest army. With the economic crisis, they took Canada and Mexico. But how would they keep the power away from the Mexican population if they are considerable large (Canada doesn’t have enought people to complain, but Mexico have)? They set a new rule, if you don’t have money you are not a proper citizen, keeping a hundred million Mexicans unable to unbalance their politics.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That brings up a good point. Why haven’t the Chinese been Crippled by the Aberrant? US got their grain poisoned, and Europe got meteored, but man shouldn’t the Aberrants of been pissed with China for threatening to blow up the planet to be rid of them? And even before that they were a beefed out military and economy, and I’ll bet they were not kind to the Novas erupting there that didn’t immediately submit.


                    It is a time for great deeds!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

                      I think that is what he meant, it’s a screwed against right wing rather then a screed by right wing, so as you said a left wing dystopian view.
                      The fact that he said a 1950s screed made that not make sense to me. The 50s were an era of fear mongering over the threat of communism, not corporate power overwhelming democracy (you don’t get that in mainstream dystopian fiction till the 80s, hence the rise of the cyberpunk genre).
                      Last edited by glamourweaver; 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM.


                      Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                        That brings up a good point. Why haven’t the Chinese been Crippled by the Aberrant? US got their grain poisoned, and Europe got meteored, but man shouldn’t the Aberrants of been pissed with China for threatening to blow up the planet to be rid of them? And even before that they were a beefed out military and economy, and I’ll bet they were not kind to the Novas erupting there that didn’t immediately submit.

                        I need to check the history, but is there some canon on the fate of the Bodhissatva? Because if he was still around he might have shielded China from the worst excesses of his siblings.


                        Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          That brings up a good point. Why haven’t the Chinese been Crippled by the Aberrant? US got their grain poisoned, and Europe got meteored, but man shouldn’t the Aberrants of been pissed with China for threatening to blow up the planet to be rid of them? And even before that they were a beefed out military and economy, and I’ll bet they were not kind to the Novas erupting there that didn’t immediately submit.
                          Their culture is more focused on the coletive and less on the individual, they teach their kids that communities are more important than the individuals. That’s why they work as they do in China, Japan and the other Far East countries, most of their population is prepared to give their lives to help the comunity to grow.
                          So when the novas shows up, they were more loyal to China than the average American Nova to US.

                          A few other things that maybe happened:
                          They tried to keep novas working for the government and happy with their powers, not forcing them to excel as N! Expected from the other Novas. Less pressure less corruption.
                          China was busy sending probes to other planets and pretending the war was not happening until the last few months, as they didn’t stand up, they were forgotten by most of the novas.

                          Same happened to Japan, they called their novas back, ask them to behave and closed the country otherwise there would not be a country to them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I do think there’s a bit of a contradiction between the narratives of absolute military governance and corporate power. I would put the emphasis on corporate governance via property tax based proportional voting - and then have the FSA military run and directly employed by the contractors. Play up how all of this is cast in terms of property rights and freedom in FSA propaganda.


                            Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Damnit Misclicking again eating my posts!!! I need to get a laptop oiii!

                              Okay China isn’t some mystical alien offshoot of the rest of humanity that works off of a perfect harmonious Hivemind, well not until you get a suitably powerful Nova to pull that off. It’s true they stress collectivist ideals over individualism, and they usually bow to the state, but a huge amount of that has to do with individuals having less power then the state and therefore many find it wise to not turn against it. This gets turned on its head if anyone can become Novas, because China isn’t a Utopia where everyone gets along and achieved Nirvana generations ago. They have people upset with the status quo, remember the massive and extended Protest in Hong Kong half a decade ago? Not to mention those protesting the oppression of the Ughyurs and Tibetans, as well as the plan to forcibly absorb Taiwan. If you now have people given the power to melt trucks with their eyes or rip apart towers with their barehands start popping up indiscriminately across the Population, remember everyone can be Novas, people are no longer as massively overpowered by their government.

                              Yea you will have Novas loyal to the state, a lot of them, but now this just means you have super powered individuals both willing to fight to the death for what they believe in all across the Country.

                              And Japan isn’t the same as China just because they are Asian. Yes they share a lot similar sensibilities due to Confucian roots, like Filial Piety. But China is much more collectivist, and Japan has a greater degree of personal liberty that the modern Citizen will not be happy giving up. Not to mention their military stance pretty opposite of Japan’s due to almost a Century after losing WWII and being demilitarized, and only worrying about national defense. You won’t see young people being indoctrinated by the state into cheering for the Annexation of another country. Japan has some similar family values and nationalistic Pride as China but that doesn’t mean they are the going to react to Novas the same or that the Novas will react the same.


                              It is a time for great deeds!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X