Massive mind staggering population growth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive mind staggering population growth

So we have Aeon at a time period were Humanity is becoming a post Scarcity Civilization. We seem to also still be at the stage where there are less then a Trillion Humans. Even without the impossible Sci Fi tech of the setting we know based on the principles of our technology past post scarcity (with cheap accessibile fusion) we quickly develop a space infrastructure and tap the staggering resources of the Asteroid Belt. The setting downplays how insane populations can get just confined to the Solar System easily able to support hundreds of Trillions on the low end, with O’Neil Cylinder style application of space, probably mostly around the sun so they double as a Dyson Swarm. Population explodes, and even without FTL it’s reasonable to colonize nearby Solar systems like Alpha Centauri and Tau SETI even before finishing a Dyson Swarm. And things go nuts from their with a single Sun supporting a population in the Quadrillion’s and developing a Stellaser Highway to bring up travel between star systems to 90-99% the speed of light.

Now Aeon seems to be of the opinion it’s likely around this phase civilizations usually either Collapse into extinction or Ascend. Within 10k years or so after Spaceflight.

But that leads a lot in between as you quickly explode into populations past the Trillions, but I guess the assumptions are insane wars tend to break out. But with basic applications of science a refugee ship of less then a million could explode into Trillions in a few hundred years.

Like how big is the Population of the Coalition?

Nova started Colonies should probably becoming bigger then Sol if they don’t go Nutz, hell even without their Nova founders or with only a handful of low Quantum Novas. Because it’s simple exponential growth once you start harvesting the Asteroid belts of most Star systems. You don’t even need Earth like Planets.

Because of this we could even have say an alien species roughly on the same technological timeline as Earth but without something like a Hammersmith event so they probably only have some Talents, or maybe the rare Nova or Psi being, as most species seem to only develop towards Quantum or Psi not both.

So whatever happens after Aeon, the Population should be staggering as they make peace with Qin, and Chromatics and beat up the Doyen and at least some of the Coalition. And that means the population goes BOOM...one way or another.

It is a time for great deeds!

Another aspect of post-scarcity populations is the possibility of speciation. Once humanity with vast space, fusion power, biotech advances, robotics, nanotech, and other goodies get some peace populations in the trillions will tend to become separate species. Advanced biotechnology will accelerate this trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
      Another aspect of post-scarcity populations is the possibility of speciation. Once humanity with vast space, fusion power, biotech advances, robotics, nanotech, and other goodies get some peace populations in the trillions will tend to become separate species. Advanced biotechnology will accelerate this trend.
      Yes! Especially with things like people actually living on different Gravities, and daily hours! It should a much quicker more exaggerated effect then any other time in History, even without gene mods, which will be a thing one way or another because you won’t be able to outlaw and control all of humanity at that point.

Comment

Don’t know if you had the chance, but read the Suficiently Advanced. It’s a RPG with a interesting system of techlogy beyond any limit. The most interesting about it is the setting, humanity developed the ultimate AI, capable to communicate with itself thru the time, cant remember the name but I think it’s Singularity or something like it. As soon as it turned on it learned all about itself and it’s future, then started giving all the knowledge to humanity.

In a few centuries humans are all around the universe, living hundred years and separated on a few dozen societies that are extremely different, some turned into virtual realities, some became multiple people (self replicating), some are complete aliens that live on huge spaceships travelling the universe.

I read it back in 2010/11 and once in a while I pick it up and read some ideas for sci-fi societies.

Comment

That does sound interesting! Never heard of it, thanks for the suggested reading!

Comment

"Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future" is a fun book from 1990 detailing the evolution of possible human subspecies either from natural forces or intentional genetic engineering, ranging from 200 years to 5 million years in the future.

Ian A. A. Watson
            Onyx Path Community Manager

Comment

Originally posted by IanWatson View Post
              "Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future" is a fun book from 1990 detailing the evolution of possible human subspecies either from natural forces or intentional genetic engineering, ranging from 200 years to 5 million years in the future.
              Oh, neat. I have his The New Dinosaurs book (if dinosaurs had continued to evolve without the massive die off), which is also a lot of fun.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                That does sound interesting! Never heard of it, thanks for the suggested reading!
                https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ently-Advanced

Found it!
                I bought it in 2010, look like it’s was available since 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ently-Advanced

Found it!
                  I bought it in 2010, look like it’s was available since 2008.
                  Pretty interesting idea universal patent office adventurers.

So perusing Aeon and I don’t see super much talk about mining the Asteroids, using basically yet large scale automation insane amounts of basic resources like Steel should be manufactured from space irons.

And do we even have space station style colonies like O’Neil Cylinders? I mean even Gundam Wing had Space colonies, it’s only natural since you can customize gravity, day night cycles and you already have all the metal and graphine you could want.

I was perusing the Aeon book and they seem to underestimate colony growth. Like wasn’t that Khantze Lu Ge around for like 150 years but they only doubled in population? Pretty sure barring calamity with incentivization of colonizing they should have grown bigger, especially since Aeon has it Humans are Lucky and so many planets are breathable without terraforming.

And they mention suspended animation, so we have normal mundane tech for that but still haven’t cracked both immortality? How old do people live in Aeon?

And was it simply an error where they mention Coalition ships traveling at sub light speeds vast distances... faster then light speed?

Did we not have Novas who used Mega Intelligence to just make really advanced normal tech, like things that don’t need Quantum and that anyone can use? I’m assuming like the Nihonnjin Novas specializated in this method right, since they were building tech and researching sciences that mortals could use?

Perusing the book it seems Earth has more humans then the rest of Earths known human population that reside off of Earth itself. I guess they are still new at this, but shouldn’t things start culminating hella quick to the point of exponential growth rocketing past Humanities Earthly population? Especially since Aeon assumes we are lucky and we have a ton of Goldilockzone planets?

Comment

O’Neil Cylinders are not needed as there is a kind of crystal that turns electricity into gravity. There are a few space stations, most not named on the book, but referred, some are science protects some are weapon holders.

KLG is complex as it is a terrible place to live, bad air, bad water, bad live conditions, to only reason for going there is it’s close to Earth, and with porters you don’t have this reason anymore... there are a few planets with breathable atmospher, and I guess it’s lucky, but KLG is not one of them, at least for notmal people, only the kids of the genetic changed colonists can breath properly, and even they are not very good at it.

Coalition arks fly close to light speed, causing time dilation, that makes their time run slower, so, to their reference thei are faster than light, but from an external reference, no.

Novas created a lot of tech that could be used by baselines, and they still use it, like hyperfusion. But Aberrant War Went thru internet and much was lost. Also, from the view of regular people, it’s hard to know what’s novatech and what’s advanced tech. A nova can power up a TV, does it make the tv novatech? Advanced tech can use special batteries, that only novas could make, and it doesn’t mea it’s So they went on the safe side of doubt and unlegalize all...

There are a few hundred thousand planets on Goldilocks zone on our universe, it’s matter of statistics, billons of stars, 1/1000 with a good planet on GLZ, not bad...

About population grow, I do think they are not putting values down, people living on structured places and with plenty of services usually don’t have many kids, there is no need of kids and they usually plan their families. Even if most couples have kids, there is a need of 2,2 (or something like it) kids per couple to keep the population static. If you add to this value the increase number of homosexual (people are not forced into marriage by cultural forces), a increased number of people having relationships with robots (It’s happening now) and the higher the de custos of less kids just for comfort. The population is not going to increase that much in the next few hundred years... of course there are countries working in the other side, but they usually start calming down once the qualities of life improves. You can see it comparing different parts of developing countries, if it’s richer, usually there are less kids, poorer parts have more kids.

I would put a Baby boomer generation after Aberrant War, but the generation after it would be more related to the millennials than to generation x, as the level of comfort due to tech is much higher than before.

Comment

The Coalition description I still think is a fudge up, there would be time dilation but it wouldn’t match up as described.

I mean Aeon describes it as specifically having a lot of habitable planets with basic life, as in they discover them relatively easily and they are not uncommon. It’s more then the assumed Goldilocks zones in the known real world, especially since they have breathable atmospheres.

And I was specifically talking about populations of Colonies, which are meant to increase steadily, if not exponentially, especially if the planet has a basic atmosphere. If you aren’t dying from a few breaths of the atmosphere it’s a good starting atmosphere in my book. Way easier then Colonizing Mercury or Venus. And I’m saying KLG is important because of the distance to Earth. Having Jumpers or Warpers are a fickle advantage, and the book notes they took interest again with KLG because it can be reached with conventional tech.

They are trying to terraform the planet, and the more people you have helping to terraform and build infrascturw the Better. The concept of Colony ships revolves around that idea, he colonists will populate the new planet, they will manage automated mining and construction and carve out a functional world from the wild frontier. They need people for that. That’s why America and Australia had people just thrown at he Colonies till they were viable population centers.

Comment

Working...
                      X