Nova Age Space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Age Space

I totally think novas in space should be developed further. Novas on the moon, novas on mars, novas in the asteroid belt.

Novas creating a colony within a vast honeycomb within an asteroid, maybe Ceres or maybe something else. (Isn't there an asteroid or moon that looks like the death star, imagine someone turning it into a base, just because they could.)

Also imagine the end of the Nova Age with a final strike that dislodges the moon, aka Space 1999. Other Nova technology could stabilize an Earth without the moon, hehe.

But yeah I think it would be amazing to have story set on an Nova Age built space colony or asteroid base. Maybe they could even establish artificial gravity on said base or colony and maybe even something like a prototype if TL engine that makes use of quantum ech. That way they could leave when the Aberrant War occurs.

Just wanted to share the idea and see if anybody else is interested in discussing the potential for such a setting.

I liked the idea of hidden Nova redoubts, like maybe a secret base at the core of the moon right under humanities feet!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Once you have Novas that can get to Mars or the Moon they would set up Bases. It fits the setting because most Novas see themselves in terms of Superheroes (the simple fact they aren't Superheroes but think they are is key to the setting) Superman's Fortress of Solitude, the Batcave, Professor X's Mansion, are the presidents. I suppose the average base would evolve from the Fortress of Solitude to the City of Kandor, from a private hidden base to a living community.

In an Aeon setting, groups of baseline humans living on Mars or Luna in communities founded by or with the aid of Novas will be treated with suspicion and contempt. They'd be like the Melungeons or other triracial isolates in 19th or early 20th century America. They could be fighting against prejudice to be part of society. But others could be seeking to bring the Novas back. Picture a low Taint Nova erupting in a small community deep in the Martian wilds. They would want to help and nurture their community and Aeon would want to kill them and keep it quiet. It could give the PCs a nasty problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
        Once you have Novas that can get to Mars or the Moon they would set up Bases. It fits the setting because most Novas see themselves in terms of Superheroes (the simple fact they aren't Superheroes but think they are is key to the setting) Superman's Fortress of Solitude, the Batcave, Professor X's Mansion, are the presidents. I suppose the average base would evolve from the Fortress of Solitude to the City of Kandor, from a private hidden base to a living community.
        There's also the Watchtower, built for the Justice League by batman, which essentially orbits the planet waiting for threats to pop up.

Also, any discussion of novas in space during that age will have to discuss the Daedalus League and the Protectors (whose ultimate goal was an off-world colony). Cyrus Katrak and Thomas Serring were in talks about exactly that contingency before everything went to hell in Aberrant. Honestly, the terats probably SHOULD have done the same thing.
        Last edited by Darksol-aeternium; 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM. Reason: original text wiped...

Comment

The Terats seem to have seen only their own private big picture. The real big picture, that if they rejected human society they needed to go elsewhere and found their own society always eluded them. I suppose Divis Mal was too much a product of the 19th century to see that he was recreating a Bohemian subculture but one with the power to destroy the greater society. Bohemians are powerless and withdraw within society and ignore its rules. Society still lashes out in fear. when the Bohemians can destroy the society then society can never live in peace with them.

Comment

Hilariously, the Directive's comments about the Protectors already indicates the fear in society you allude to since their concern over that group comes from the fact that they've established an extranational colony in the no-mans-land that is Antarctica. And extranational status for novas is the very thing Pax was raging about in his speech at the beginning of that "arms of the angel of wrath" scenario! I imagine that even if nova's were to start a mass-exodus to some off-world colonies somewhere in the solar system, all the baseline power structures left would simply start simmering in paranoia over a concentration of power they can no longer observe or influence. Typical cold-war era thought process.

Comment

Awesome stuff here!

I do have to say that if novas to explore and colonize there is little the baselines could do. A nova with warp could take people into space without any need for technology.

But yeah the idea of an asteroid in far Earth orbit or in a Lagrange point being turned into a habitat is brilliant. Then when, if, the Ultimatum occurs a warp bubble could take the asteroid away.

I could also imagine a nova who could operate in space actually carving, shaping, an asteroid into a work of art slash habitat colony. Then he takes his people and they live in a cityship or internal world.

It also makes me think of all the constructive uses of nova powers and how they could simplify space operations.

Actually, come to think of it, wouldn't eberything mentioned here and above cause a new space race that would see us colonizing the Moon, Mars, the asteroid belt, and exploring deep space all before the Aberrant War.

Comment

In Aeon it happened, and more, there were lots of extrasolar colonies, some know, most lost (not known where it was or even if existed) during the Aberrant War.

In 1e there is little to no talk about it, there are a few texts about space exploration and build of Olympus, but nothing about proper colonies (at least as far as I remember). That would not just be strange, but the Chinese ultimatum would be a much worse treat to the Aberrants as they have no where to go that is known, so they would probably stay close to earth or something.

On 2e there are more than a few colonies in solar system and extrasolar space, that’s a complex part of the ultimatum. If there are people in multiple planets, saying “leave my planet” means go to the other planets, what put the colonies in a complex situation. Even Luna is a place in risk, as an Aberrant staying in Luna is not breaking any rules, as well as anyone in Mars or in the asteroid belt. Why did the Aberrant went away from the solar system entirely? Was it part of the ultimatum? Was it on 1e also?

Comment

I think leaving the solar system was part of the Ultimatumnotherwise they would have went to Ganymede or Mars or something en masse. Or I seem to recall they allowed them to stay in the solar system but it was implied the Aberrants Knew not to due that because they expected to be betrayed and nuked.

I think the anovas had enough tech to take ships out to parts unknown, with their thousands, or millions, of humans but they likely broken up into groups based on who they want ferry with and some groups had a colony started and some where willing to just wait till their advanced ships found a suitable place. Probably posting over to someplace as a temporary base while making a more concrete plan.

Comment

Ooh. Idea!

So there is a theory that under the icy, salty, clay like rocky crust of Ceres there is a vast frozen ice segment which itself has a liquid ocean underneath whxh surrounds a rocky interior that lies around a central core.

So imagine novas creating underwater colonies on Earth and then warping them to Ceres for attachment there. Now you have people living in underwater habitats underwater.

Oh. And maybe novas used powers to create volcanic vents and fissures and such just potent enough to make the water warm enough to be habitable.

Just sayin!

Comment

That’s a cool idea. In my Headcanon their is a secret Colony in the core of the Moon using a similar principle. And in my Multiverse setting Thr core of the Moon has a Causality Uncertainty Field, so it was a
                      Naturally the best place to make an early Universe Traveling Gate the two other Universes for the three connected universe, where each Universe has a different sole Survivor of the Hammersmith Incident.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post
                        Ooh. Idea!

So there is a theory that under the icy, salty, clay like rocky crust of Ceres there is a vast frozen ice segment which itself has a liquid ocean underneath whxh surrounds a rocky interior that lies around a central core.

So imagine novas creating underwater colonies on Earth and then warping them to Ceres for attachment there. Now you have people living in underwater habitats underwater.

Oh. And maybe novas used powers to create volcanic vents and fissures and such just potent enough to make the water warm enough to be habitable.

Just sayin!
                        You can apply that very same concept to Europa, which is theorized to have a similar condition underneath an ice layer, bonus points for it being actual water as opposed to some toxic chemical. The volcanic fissures may already be there in Europa, assuming it isn't actually tidal shearing making the water liquid, so there's one thing done for you.

Too bad Titan's atmosphere is basically dense methane smog that rains down sometimes and creates lakes of methane-based chemicals.

Comment

Good point Darksol!

Though there is something nifty about colonizing Ceres there is sonething just as cool about colonizing a moon of Jupiter. I mean its Juipter!

I could see colonies in the crust overlooking the ocean, in icicles that hang down, habitats connected to the ceiling by chains, free floating habitays, and even ones on ocean floor or wrapped around undersea mountains.

I could see the presence of a complete, complex ecosystem with all categories in some format.

I could see mysterious abandoned human and alien sites and relics and ruins that could be investigated.

I could also see ships like submersible aircraft carriers and vessels like the Seaquest (good show) traveling about for science, security, and trade and commerce.

I could see secret Psion missions and internally known but solar hidden nova missions, or teams of both.

I could see fun and adventure!

Plot Twist time!

Novas backed by the Aeon Foundation in the Nova Era discovered or noticed something there. This led to exploration and survey and deep analysis which then led to colonization. Couple hundred novas and in time hundreds of thousands or milions of baselines.

Then the Aberrant War broke out and contact with Europa was lost.

The deaths and info collapse led to Aeon loosing track of the information about Europa.

It was 'recently' discovered in a chapter house of the Aeon Foundation in Brazil which led to Norsca deciding to claim Europa so others couldn't. Then plans were made p send teams there. These plans suceeded and now there are Psions on Europa for the first time.

What they found is a world of many diverse states united into three global alliances, each backed by a faction of novas who themselves have five internal factions currently in balance.

Its a powder keg waiting to ecplode, but its quite a stable one.

And there are alien ruins which just might win the greater war for humanity, if its not used by its enemies first.

And despite living here for almost a century now the vast majority of the world's ocean still remains unexplored.

And the nova backed industry snd scientific developments present here are slightly superior to what Earth has currently.

Of course thanks to Nova Age engibeering there are barriers protecting the interior ocean from eidespred destruction from otbital bombardment. So nonplan to destroy them by bomb would work!
                          Last edited by LordHeru; 02-12-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksol-aeternium View Post

You can apply that very same concept to Europa, which is theorized to have a similar condition underneath an ice layer, bonus points for it being actual water as opposed to some toxic chemical. The volcanic fissures may already be there in Europa, assuming it isn't actually tidal shearing making the water liquid, so there's one thing done for you.

Too bad Titan's atmosphere is basically dense methane smog that rains down sometimes and creates lakes of methane-based chemicals.
                            That’s why you go the Marvel Route and Titan is essentially hyper advanced Hollow Earth, rather then a Primeval One. Hell it could have also have been founded by an Exodus of Aegis Era Eterna...sss I mean Novas!

Comment

Have a powerful Nova establish a base on a terraformable world out in interstellar space. The stable Warp that lets people get back and forth to this world (Nova Terrestia) is in the subbasement of an AEON owned office building on Manhattan island. The bases on the far side of the warp were stable and had great resources when the building and the warp were destroyed. The twist is that the Warp was in time as well as space.

AEON is expecting an easy capture or kill of frontier bases on an uninhabitable planet. If the unwilling colonists had had only a few decades to work that would have been true. But they've had seven hundred and ninety-five years. Yes, the frontier conditions and struggles slowed technological advance, as did the low population, but they are now more advanced than Earth and richer. AEON will have to play their cards very carefully.
                              Last edited by Astromancer; 02-14-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X