X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucible
    started a topic [Æon] Armor in Trinity and Aeon

[Æon] Armor in Trinity and Aeon

I have never seen in the main rules about if Soft Armor stacks. My players have asked the questions and there is no specific clarification. In Aeon you have Some Aptitudes that have mutiple ways to create Soft Armor, so there seems a redundancy with this, hence why we are asking for a clarification on it.

• Florin
    replied
    The way I calculated, though, there would be no Power Scale applied to the attack roll, since it reduced all the armor. It would make more sense, though to say you still have 2 soft armor, but the attacker still had 1 net Power Scale to apply to the attack. That gives the attacker more options to use the bonus from Scale than just Inflicting Injuries.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Agree with you, that’s why I house rule that way.

The only issue with reducing the armor is the cost of additional injuries that would be reduced (most probably reduced to 0). If you don’t mind that every punch cause 2 injuries ok, actually it can work better than raw if you want to make scale in combat particularly more lethal.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    But how does Durability make it harder for your opponent to perform any of the other stunts in combat other than Inflict Injury? And how do you reconcile Durability Scale on armor? Armor doesn't affect Defense in any way. I think the RAI is Durability is your ability to resist taking harm, which is why I calculated things the way I did in my example above.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Page 74 of Core, in paragraph starting with Dramatic Scale it says “provide an Enhancement or Difficulty to actions” and during Combat the difficulty of an attack is the target Defense.

I house roll this way: Scale causes a complication to the action, that, if not bought up will make impossible to use certain stunts, in combat situations it makes impossible to cause damage to the target, for example, as it’s not harder to hit the target, just to damage it.

Same for enhancements, they can only be used to certain stunts, in combat cause damage, as it is not easier to hit the target, but if hit, the target probably will get a lot of damage.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 11-04-2020, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Mateus, can you quote the page with the Durability adds to Defense rule? I did a quick ctrl+f for durability in the Aberrant and TC:Core books and didn't see it. (I also didn't see one for Durability adding to soft armor.)

I think Durability should count towards armor. If it counts towards Defense, then all the offensive stunts you use become harder vs. that character as opposed to just the Inflict Injury stunt.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Actually, by RAW, your Soft armor don’t change (it would be 2 all the time, no matter the attacker), but you get a +2 on defense per Scale (if durability is higher) and the attacker gain a +2 enhancement per scale (if power is higher).

But what’s the difference? Well, if the attacker have scale over defense it’s possible to buy Inflict Injury once more per scale difference, and it will cost Soft Armor anyway. So the attacker will spend defense successes to hit + 2 successes to cause 1 injury +2 to cause a second injury + 4 to cause critical. If the armor is reduced, the second injury is automatic.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Yes, damage types still matter in Aberrant. However, most armors have the Complete tag, which means they protect against all kinds of damage.

You have 2 soft armor plus 2 x the scale difference between your Durability and the Power of the attack. So, if a baseline punches you, you have soft armor of 2 + 2 x (3 durability - 1 power) = 6 soft armor against that attack. If a Nova hits you with a bolt of fire with Scale 4 power, you would have soft armor of 2 + 2 x (3 - 4) = 0 soft armor.

Leave a comment:

• satoshi
    replied
    Does this hold true for Aberrant as well? I would assume so since it is the same rules set, but with easy access to eufiber and the amazing shielding powers that novas can have it gets really easy to have a metric ton of soft armor. How does this interact with scale? For example Quantum field gives you soft armor = quantum /2 (say at quantum 3) and +1 scale for each dot past the first (once again assume 3 dots) and 3 dots of eufiber. Does that mean you get 5 soft armor and have scale 3? or do you have 2 soft armor at scale 3 and 3 soft armor at scale one?

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Yes. That is correct.

Leave a comment:

• maekkel
    replied
    Follow up question as I did not find it anywhere else.

An armor does only help (thus provide it´s hard & soft armor points) against the damage type (bullet, impact, slash) it has?

Leather Jacket (Impact-resistant) does not provide any hard or soft armor against slashing or bullet damage, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    That’s actually what I used to think too, but no, if you have 2 PKs they can double-bouble the entire team...

Honestly I didn’t try it yet, I guess it works fine against Aberrants, but makes it impossible for regular people to stand any chance...

Leave a comment:

• werlynn
    replied
    If 2 PKs wanted to team up to make a stronger shield I’d probably make it a teamwork action or use the combining psi powers rules instead of layering. Layering I’d say strongest applies.

Leave a comment:

• John Snead
    replied
    I'm with Bunyip, my assumption has always been that both hard and soft armor stack, except for types and cases, which as specifically mentioned as not stacking. It only makes sense to me that if you're wearing armor, are protected by a perikinetic (or whatever) bubble, and are riding in an armored vehicle, you should be *really* hard to damage by anything that your armor stops.

Leave a comment:

• Bunyip
    replied
    Originally posted by Yue Ryong View Post

Could I get a clarification on this assumption? How do Perikinetic Shields interact? Can you put a Kinetic Shield on an Energy Shield on a Bulk Shielding? Or is that too overlapping/silly?
    Perikinetic shields of the same ‘wavelength’ don’t overlap. For one dot, you can put up a kinetic shield, 2-dots you can do the same on yourself with an energy shield — these will overlap because they’re different. With Bulk Shielding you’re not just limited to yourself and can project these shields around others as well as yourself, but you can’t double this up with your own shield — one or the other.

I’m also inclined to say that you can’t have multiple PKs bulk shielding each other with overlapping shields, but I’d need to crunch the numbers a little to see if that’s something the Legions would need to realistically withstand powerful Aberrant assaults.

I’d also speculatively say (as a musing, not backed up by anything in print) that Perikinetic shields of different Size Scale might be able to overlap — if you mounted a bioapp PK shield generator on a spaceship, you’d benefit from it taking the hits of the big stuff from other ships, and your lower Scale personal shield would help your survive the ship breaking apart around you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X